Tobias James Darlington Vowles 22/04/10

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
Evening all,
Tobias is asleep, so thought I would write up my birth story. It is kinda long!

In some respects it was brilliant, in others awful!

At half past midnight on Thursday morning I woke up in bed and a minute later heard and felt a ‘pop’ in my belly! Didn’t know what to think, but thought ‘was that my waters breaking?’ (I had had my second sweep on Wednesday morning, so was hoping things were going to start happening!) However I lay in bed and nothing happened. 10 minutes later decided to get up and go for a wee. Went into the bathroom and sure enough, it was my waters. However they were a greeny yellowy colour which I realised meant baby had had a poo, and was a potential problem!
Went and woke husband up, who did the classic husband thing of not making a lick of sense! I was making sarnies to take in with us just in case, making sure the cats were ok etc etc. Rang the hospital and went in.

Made the normal 35 minute journey to the hospital in 20 minutes!! Were in triage by about 2am. Had been told that we would be staying in due to the meconium. At this stage, I was having very mild contractions, but hardly more than bad period pains. They moved us to our individual delivery room, set up a drip to induce labour and being monitored, again due to the meconium.

By this stage I’m thinking, ok, ‘we’re going to be at this a while! Better settle in!’

By 4am I was in established labour (contractions regular and getting stronger) and they were intense. I was about 2cms dilated. I was asking for gas and air. TENS was doing nothing at all for me.
G&A was funny to begin with, totally spaced me out. But in all honesty, it made no difference to lessening my pain. However I do think that psychology, it helped me to move into the ‘transition’ stage where I became totally insular.

From this stage, I have very little memory of what actually happened! I was completely zoned out of everything but the pain of the contractions and PJ talking me through it! The MW had to communicate through my husband, because I wasn’t aware she was there!

Apparently the next three hours passed with the contractions building very quickly and intensely. I held PJ’s hand and squeezed it through the contractions and then zoned out again. Once in a while I swore blue murder! By 6.30am I was asking for an epidural (which PJ knew I didn’t actually want unless there was no other option) so he kept saying try another 5 minutes, try another 5 minutes and I made it to 7.30am. MW did an internal and I was only 4 cms so they arranged for the anaesthetist to come in (that is a whole other story). This is now 8am. The MW did another internal and as they were doing so, I suddenly decided I really needed to PUSH!! MW confirmed I was fully dilated and so could start pushing on the next one (I had already pushed through 2 contractions with them saying don’t push, but there was no way I couldn’t push!)

The relief to go from feeling the contraction pain to being able to push was AMAZING! The one thing I had going through my mind was the more I screamed, the less energy I was putting into pushing and the longer this would take. So I was almost entirely silent (Don’t remember this at all, this is what PJ and MW told me!) 30 minutes later at 8.43am, Tobias was born into the world! Without doubt the biggest high I have had in my life was feeling him slip out, see his arm wave around (he didn’t cry) and for PJ to tell me that we had a baby boy!

Looking back on it, I am really glad that I was induced hard and that it was so quick. At least it was over and done with!
:From start to finish 8.13 hours
:Actual Labour was about 4 and a half hours.
: 2nd stage labour was a mere 30 minutes!
I had a small 2nd degree tear that needed a stitch
However, apparently, because they induced so hard (turned the drip up quicker) it did mean that the contractions built in intensity and speed so I didn’t have such a chance to deal with them as if I had ‘had a natural Labour. We (well PJ) also agreed to having a clip in Tobias’ head because he was getting decelerations due to the intensity of the contraction.
Also, looking back on it I honestly don’t think the TENS machine or G&A made any difference to me except maybe as a placebo effect!!

I do know that without a shadow of a doubt there is NO WAY I would have made it through without PJ. He was my rock, my pain relief and support and did everything he knew I would have wanted. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a birthing partner who is your strength.

However bad or easy or quick or slow it is, it all totally worth it when you meet your little person! I am in total awe of Tobias. I cannot believe we made him and how perfect he is. I still think that at some point we are going to have to give him back! !

I hope you enjoyed my story. I enjoyed telling it!!

Thankyou all ladies, for all of your support and advice through the last 9 months. I look forward to seeing you in the next section.

Congratulations, thank you for sharing your story!

Congratulations, great birth story! Enjoy your little man! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->