Today I am...

I couldn't in the end, I didn't want to risk getting found out :

i changed rosie name by ded poll too when she was 1 yr old, she said she's glad i did i gave her the option to change it back this yr but she didnt want to.
x

Jas, I was going to do it and not tell him as you don't get asked for written permission but they DO expect you to have permission. If he'd found out he could take me to court

just read your last post, law must have changed in last 13 yr,
has he got parental responsibilty?,
x

my mum changed mine wen i was 9 as she remarried.. i had my name double barreled..

i know my dad didnt want it but as i did my mum did it anyway...

think it was to do with the fact tht they never married.. he therefor had no rights..

however i think the law has changed now.. wen registering luisas birth i think i remember them saying by putting oh on the birth cert i was giving him parental rights...

i could be wrong...

:hug::hug:

His name is on the birth certificate so he has equal parental right when it comes to things like name changing

Sucks

Oh...it's bobbins BUT there is a way....

You are entitled to call yourself by a 'chosen name'. You'd be suprised how many people do this - I come across MASSES of kids at work with a 'legal' name and a 'prefered' or 'chosen' name.

So you just start calling her by your name (I assume that's what you'd be changing to) and people just call her it. On the register at school and so on they will call her by her prefered name. Her name on her reports, letters etc will be what you want it to be. You can tell the Dr's and everyone. The only place it will need to be right is her birth certificate and her passport.

You can call her what you want!! My sister is called Clare Ashley and her surname and she's never been known as Clare - it's the same principle - a prefered name! :D

Ooh, that sounds ok. I know a friend of mine's niece has a preffered surname in school that isnt the same as her birth certificate. To me, she has my surname anyway. She is only Walsh with HIM and his family and on legal documents :)

Exactly. So if you do it now she'll never think any different. It's only when they start doing exams that we really notice it because certificates are legal documents. But by then they are almost 16 and they trot off and change it themselves by deed poll and the jobs done.

Yay :) if he wasn't such an arse it wouldn't make me want it changed AS badly but because she has his surname it kind of makes her feel like she isn't properly mine iykwim?

My daughter's real surname is on her passport and bank account only. When I moved house when she was 3 I decided on a fresh start and school, doctors, dentist etc know her with her new surname. She's 9 now and knows the score with it. I assume that my Ex knows about it but he's never approached me about it. I did ask him for permission but he refused so I took the "known as" route and it works.

I am hoping that when she is 16 she will do it officially herself.

I just feel like it means I can never be rid of him......and we are 12 plus years down the line....I wish I'd done it sooner. Now Emily wouldnt want to be known as anything different out of some misplaced loyalty for him....even though he never bothered with her for God knows how long....ah well at least she finally told him what a rubbish Dad he's been last year :)

I asked him yesterday if he would consider letting me change it by deed poll so his name would still be on Birth certificate but I could use mine on everything else.

He said No

So f&*k him and just go with the 'known as' - that's what my ex did just to be a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->