Toddler Re-establishing BF'ing?? (Long !)

Miwi

Reaction score
My DD is bottle fed, though not weaned and I don't plan to wean her from her milk any time soon. I breastfed her for the first two months when it was confirmed she had a pretty severe dairy allergy, so she was put onto special formula. I was devestated and around the same time started anti depressants for postnatal depression. No one advised me that I could still bf on the medication or that I could elimante dairy from my diet and pump and dump in the mean time (and I was too overwhelmed not to do as I was told) ... Anyway!!
This time around I plan to stop eating dairy a few weeks before I'm due in the hopes that this won't happen again. So in theory my milk will be fine for my DD.
My question basically is this : if my DD wants to re-establish our bf 'ing relationship (she's curious about my BFing the new baby, etc etc) would it be ok to let her?? Or am I opening a can of worms? I very much don't want her to feel pushed out by the new baby and if I'm honest I'm very willing to let her BF again, with her leading the way of course. I wouldn't plan on encouraging it ... But I am doubting my instincts. I realise this may be a tad unorthodox.
Do any of you advice or experience? Or opinion?!
Thank you so much!

I have no idea to be honest, but I had thought that babies lose their latching ability if not BF for a while, so would imagine she may well just not be able to. That could be totally wrong so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along

Thank you :) I guess if she can't then it would take away any decisions lol. I hadn't thought of that so thanks!

I would let her try. My oldest was curious about BF (she was FF and was 23 months when her sister was born). She asked to BF a few times but changed her mind at the last second each time. If she'd wanted to try I would absolutely have let her though. Even if the ability to latch is gone, you could try breast compressions... effectively expressing into her mouth. I suppose some people would find it strange but I wouldn't.

You could also offer her a little expressed milk if she just wants to see what the fuss is about. My oldest tried a bit but she wasn't too keen!

I imagine she will have lost her latch. My eldest only weaned 2 months before his brother was born, and he certainly has lost his latch and hasn't shown any interest in trying again. No harm in lettingher have a go if she's interested to, though

Thank you both so much! I appreciate hearing that I'm not crazy, I think if / when the time comes I'll let her try, see what the fuss is about and then take it from there :) That's what my instinct says to do :)

I would have let dd1 try if she'd asked but it hasn't even occurred to her. I think as long as you're open to it there won't be a problem either way :flower:

Thank you :) My DD probably won't be interested either after all my wondering / worrying! Lol.

I would let her try. My oldest was curious about BF (she was FF and was 23 months when her sister was born). She asked to BF a few times but changed her mind at the last second each time. If she'd wanted to try I would absolutely have let her though. Even if the ability to latch is gone, you could try breast compressions... effectively expressing into her mouth. I suppose some people would find it strange but I wouldn't.

You could also offer her a little expressed milk if she just wants to see what the fuss is about. My oldest tried a bit but she wasn't too keen!

I agree with what this poster said.

I would let her try as well. I hadn't even thought of this when I was pregnant with my second, since my first was formula fed from 1 week old. But, about a month ago, my 23 month old pulled up my shirt and pointed at my boob after I had finished feeding her brother (3 months). I was a little caught off guard but asked if she would like to have some of mommy's milk. She said yes so I let her try. She didn't really know what to do, and I didn't push her, just let her get on with it. She was interested for literally 30 seconds, and then went on playing with her toys, she hasn't asked again since.

I would let her try as well. I hadn't even thought of this when I was pregnant with my second, since my first was formula fed from 1 week old. But, about a month ago, my 23 month old pulled up my shirt and pointed at my boob after I had finished feeding her brother (3 months). I was a little caught off guard but asked if she would like to have some of mommy's milk. She said yes so I let her try. She didn't really know what to do, and I didn't push her, just let her get on with it. She was interested for literally 30 seconds, and then went on playing with her toys, she hasn't asked again since.

Thank you so much for your reply, it really does help to have advice from someone who has experienced it first hand. :thumbup: This is exactly what I'm going to do and here's hoping its never a big deal! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->