Toilet trained 4yo wetting pants on purpose

caggimedicine

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me before I scream

My 4 year old son who has been toilet trained and dry during the day for the past year has, over the past 3 weeks, wet his pants every day, twice a day. It is driving me insane. Nothing has really changed in his life, and he has a structured routine throughout the week - nursery in the mornings, home in the afternoons, lots of activities over the weekend and time spent with friends / family.

Here's what I have tried (individually):

Reward / star charts - he got one star all week :-\
Naughty step
Taking toys away
Being sent to bed early without a story
No tv
Not being able to play out with friends

NOTHING WORKS. I have tried talking to him about it - when I asked him why he's wet his pants, he just shrugs his shoulders. He's even told me that he "couldn't be bothered to go to the toilet". I've explained that it makes me sad / cross, but he just doesn't seem to care. In fact, when I speak to him and ask him to repeat what i've just said, 9 times out of 10 he can't, because he's not even been listening. He's quite happy sitting in wet pants, so leaving him doesn't bother him. I make him change himself each time it happens.

I am getting so fed up with it and am at a loss as to what to do next. I know it's not a medical problem because he's been dry for the past year. Hoping someone can offer some advice.

He may not have had a medical problem before but simple things like a bladder infection can cause issues while they have it and even after . Also constipation can cause issues with accidents because of the pressure it put on that area

I would take him to the doctor and rule out a physical cause first and if not then I would try like you would with potty training over and take him to the bathroom every half hour and make him sit on the toilet an explain you'll have to do that until the accidents stop

Ugh- my 4 yo girl has just started pooping her pants!
Like yours- has been continent for ages, but this has just started up- even if ivejust said 'go to the toilet ' or even taken her there.

I'm sure it's an attention thing though, but she is fairly stubborn and knows it all. Any reward chart gets thrown back in my face 'what's the point, mummy?'
I tried taking things away before 'here, take them all mummy!'

Eeek!

I've tried telling her I'll have to let her teacher know for September..... That might work ;)

i am sure i answered this and my reply has disappeared :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->