Tongue Thrust

P

petal040

The tongue thrust reflex - sorry to sound thick but... what does it look like?

How do I know when it is gone? I'm not sure what to look for lol... ?

It's when you put something in their mouth and they start pushing their tongue out pushing the food back out, almost like spitting it out over and over

I was just coming on to ask about Matilda spitting all her food out and your post caught my eye. I'd never heard of this so I looked it up and found this explanation:

'While the tongue thrust or 'extrusion reflex' is present, if a baby's lips are touched her tongue automatically moves forward. Tongue thrust aids feeding from the breast or bottle but not solid foods. This reflex generally fades by around 3 or 4 months of age but for some babies it will remain active for longer. While this reflex is still active, if solid foods are offered it appears like your baby is pushing the food out of her mouth with her tongue. This reflex is often mistaken as dislike of food. Although this is not the case, a tongue thrust is a sign that your baby is not ready to eat solid foods.'

Even though Matilda is six months old she won't swallow anything even though she loves playing with food and putting it in her mouth so I guess she could still have her tongue thrust reflex.....

I was just coming on to ask about Matilda spitting all her food out and your post caught my eye. I'd never heard of this so I looked it up and found this explanation:

'While the tongue thrust or 'extrusion reflex' is present, if a baby's lips are touched her tongue automatically moves forward. Tongue thrust aids feeding from the breast or bottle but not solid foods. This reflex generally fades by around 3 or 4 months of age but for some babies it will remain active for longer. While this reflex is still active, if solid foods are offered it appears like your baby is pushing the food out of her mouth with her tongue. This reflex is often mistaken as dislike of food. Although this is not the case, a tongue thrust is a sign that your baby is not ready to eat solid foods.'

Even though Matilda is six months old she won't swallow anything even though she loves playing with food and putting it in her mouth so I guess she could still have her tongue thrust reflex.....

Yes she could, my baby still had hers at 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->