Tongue tie

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
I had my little boy two days ago and decided to exclusively breastfeed. So far things seem to be going well. I'm a bit sore, but at this point I think that's just from trying to get the hang of things and making some mistakes in the process.

Last night, one of the nurses pointed out that LO is tongue tied. I was incredibly tired and not really thinking so I forgot to ask what that means for breastfeeding.

Does LO having tongue mean that breastfeeding is going to be difficult or impossible? Is LO even able to eat? Should I push to have the tongue tie snipped right away? Hes had quite a few wet diapers, so Im not sure what to think.

Sorry if this all seems silly. I was just really shocked when they mentioned it to me so I didn't think to ask anything and Im worrying myself a lot. Thanks in advance for any help. :flower:

Tongue tie doesn't always cause feeding problems but it can (including difficulty bottle feeding).

Wet nappies is a good sign that LO IS getting milk but the tie may affect how efficiently this happens or the damage and pain done to your nipples. If you have no obvious damage and the pain is merely discomfort and isn't making you want to stop breastfeeding it may be worth waiting to see how weight gain goes and whether your nipples stay healthy or start to get damaged.

The procedure itself is fairly minor, not done with any anaesthetic where I live, over in seconds, and usually with minimal bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->