Tonight Programme Monday 9th Nov UK

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
The Tonight programme at 8pm tomorrow night is about premature babies
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/tonight/kymmarshborntoosoontonight/default.html

Should be interesting.

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Kym asks why when you consider that the cost of prematurity to the NHS is close to a billion pounds a year the government is not ring fencing money for research into the causes of and preventions for early labour.

Here in Manchester, the central university hospitals are participating in a local research study Making Pregnancy Safer (MaPs) as part of the international study Screening for Pregnancy Endpoints (ScoPE).

I saw a poster for the research study and volunteered. It involved blood tests, lengthy questionnaires, and an extra u/s scan (from which I got free photos). And it was a flippin' good job that I did, as my uterine bloodflow & placenta problems, which resulted in Andrew's premature birth, were noticed at that extra scan because they did dopplers on the bloodflow.

I shall be watching the programme with interest.

HI Ladies... im actually on this show... they filmed me for 10wks... in my last pregnancy which sadly resulted in the loss of my beautiful max at 25+4 on 13th oct 2009. The show is in memory of him xxx

Awww ... I'll have to let you know when "my" BBC3 documentary is on! Luckily we're a more positive outcome from a premature delivery :) (no offence)

I watched the show and found it incredibly sad. But also it was good to see the positive stories on there.

I was quite disappointed with the overall show though. I felt it wasn't as probing of the issues as it could have been and that it would also have been great to have a lot more emphasis on the great things being done by NNICU staff and the improvements there have been in care over the years. I guess a 30 minute show has to pick and choose its subject.

Early_Bump, I hope this hasn't offended you in any way. My heart went out to you for your loss and I can't begin to imagine what you went (and are no doubt still going) through. Max was gorgeous and it breaks my heart that he couldn't stay with you in this world for longer. Stories like this always have me stopping to count my blessings when I complain about the "bad" days I have with Abby.:hugs:

Hopefully the good thing to come out of the show is a greater awareness of funding required for the research into finding a cause and hopefully a solution.

Hi, I watched the programme and like Foogirl I was a bit disappointed. I am grateful for ITV for bringing this subject to National TV but I felt it did not go deep enough on the subject, but I guess only being 30 minutes long it wasn't enough to cover off this subject and do it justice. I think they didn't cover off the journey of prematurity very well, what these babies go through and also agree with Foogirl about there not being any reference to the NICU staff and the progress of premature babies in recent years, where were these stories and opinions? A baby at 26 weeks born over 20 years ago was barely viable, nowadays the odds of survival have greatly increased - I thank god.
I do however agree totally about the funding and lack of research, we still don't know why prematurity is on the rise. To prevent it is the ultimate answer. I think it covered this well.
I thought Kim Marsh was very diginified in presenting it considering her loss.

Early_Bump, I think you are a very strong and wonderfully brave woman, I am so sorry for your loss of Max. He was a gorgeous little man. It was lovely to see you knowing you from this forum and thank you so much for sharing your story to the nation. Big hug to you!
I echo Foogirls words 'Stories like this always have me stopping to count my blessings when I complain about the "bad" days'...Your story Early_Bump has really touched me.

I am grateful for my little girl...xx

Hi Early Bump (Emma) , Its been a while since we chatted and I watched the programme last night and thought you looked familiar. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Max and, you are a tower of strength and it was very touching.

It is a shame they only devoted 30 minutes to covering such an important issue,
it really should have been an hour, it was very moving to watch.

All the best from Alasdair, Samantha and Charlotte

I watched it in tears knowing there could be research done into why so many babies are born premature but theres no money to do this??? maybe it would help save lives and less familys would have to go through the nicu journey over and over again. Also a point raised about the hdu staff the hospital Adi was in the staff was trained in hdu but they never took babies who needed the highest dependency as that had been transferred to there other group hospital thats all there training going to waste just to save money when these resources are so badly needed.
Emma you are an amazing woman so strong xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->