Tonsil stones

sammie18

Mommy to Allison
Reaction score
Ive been getting these things called tonsil stones, There yellow chuncks of stuff that keeps coming from my right tonsil. Well since ive gotten pregnant I have been getting ALOT of these to many to count! Its been really driving me crazy Im sooo tired of these and me always having to spit them out. My right tonisl is the only one these things are coming from, And now my right tonsil has been soooo sore. Has anyone had to deal with these? My throat hurts, my tonsil is sore and irratating and these stones wont stop coming!!:cry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....that sounds awful babe. You poor thing:hugs:

omg! i had this when i was in my last year at high school i went to the doctors and had no clue what they were, they were horrible things and they smell bad too!
Now it makes perfect sense, i don't get them at all any more since i had my tonsils removed.
Is that an option for you after your LO is born?

I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Oh I sympathise with you. My daughter gets these all the time, they make her breath smell terribly, and I have to knock them off with a long pair of tweezers, (not pleasant for her, but its the only way to get these awful smelly things off the tonsils and stop her being so self concious of her breath). Ive tried numerous times to get her tonsils removed, but they wont do it on the NHS, so until we can afford private then she has to put up with them.

How old is your daughter? I think if you keep going back to the doctors saying that she has had tonsillitus (sp?) a lot and suffers from bad throats etc and these tonsil stones are really affecting her confidence at school they must be able to do something about it. I had mine removed when i was 21, i think now the whole procedure is done in 1 day.

I get these when my tonsils flare up... Apparently I dont get tonsilitus enough for them to be removed though. You need to have it 5 times in a year. I usually average at 3 or 4.
Gargle with antiseptic mouthwash - check with the pharmacy though as to what you're allowed. They are horrible though, I really sympathise!

My mom gets these all the time. They haven't done anything about it other then to tell her to gargle.

oh my gaw i used to get these.... i havent had one in AGES... but they are aweful little things!!!!!! I didnt know what they were and never really did anything about it. Good to know that they are what they are and that it is nothing really to stress about.
Gargle it is for me :) hehehehe

How old is your daughter? I think if you keep going back to the doctors saying that she has had tonsillitus (sp?) a lot and suffers from bad throats etc and these tonsil stones are really affecting her confidence at school they must be able to do something about it. I had mine removed when i was 21, i think now the whole procedure is done in 1 day.

She is 11. We have been referred by our doctor 4 times to the ENT dept at our hospital, and everytime the same response.....No.

from what i know if the tonsil stones keep appearing the stones may have to have to be surgically removed and a laser cryptolysis may be done as well to prevent them from forming again

wow i have had these beofre but didn't know that they came from you tonsils! i have suffered badly with tonsilitus in the past but never quite often enough for them to take them out. its interesting to know what they are tho, thanks

I had it once.

Found this on them.

According to an article by Dr. Harold Katz, founder of California Breath Clinics, tonsil stones come from a build-up of bacteria and debris in the crypts of the tonsils.

They can also be made up of calcium salts, food particles, dead cells, and post-nasal drip. Both children and adults can get them.

Why do some people get them, while others do not? Well, just because some people get them, does not mean that those people have to worry about a contributing health problem. One explanation can be found on doctorhoffman.com. Dr. Douglass Hoffman explains that every day, the tonsils shed oral mucosa, which lines the crypts of the tonsils. Normally, the dead cells are shed and swallowed. But, in some people, the dead cells stick around and accumulate, causing the little white balls to form in the crypts. This is what the odor-causing bacteria in the mouth like to feed on, hence the foul smell associated with it.
Hope it helps x

I have one at the moment! Its so sore...Even with earbud prodding its not shifting...

I looked them up when i first had them and seen you have to have your tonsils out to cure it...might have to take a trip to the doctor when baby is born, i can't stand them!

Touch wood, not had one since I became pregnant but I get them all the time.

Gargle with antiseptic mouthwash and remove them with a clean finger is all I usually do.

I get these all the time and have done more often since i have become pg too. I get a lot of throat infections and tonsilitis but according to my GP not enough to be referred to have them removed. I dread them and the make me feel physically sick, i really feel for you x x x x

Me too. I started getting them a year ago, maybe a year and a half. Since pregnancy they've gotten so much worse. I have to poke them out with my finger and a cotton swab every 3 days or they get big and come out by themselves (and make me gag, along with causing my breath to smell of them). The last month or two they've gotten quite large and frightening looking, and the crypts they build up in seem to get deeper and deeper, and there seem to be more places on my tonsil they come out of. Before it was just 3 spots and I would check them regularly, sometimes something came out, sometimes they were clear. Now, they just pop up everywhere. It's so gross and embarrassing, but I'm terrified of the pain from surgery. My OH doesn't know about them, as I always do my cleaning out with the door locked and the water running (so you can't hear me gag). I actually threw up a few nights ago trying to get a giant one out, that went straight to the back of my throat. UGH, I don't even want to think about it. I just want it to go away.

I think they first started when I was smoking regularly...so why now that I don't smoke are they getting worse?!

poor u just read about it doesnt sound nice at all x

She is 11. We have been referred by our doctor 4 times to the ENT dept at our hospital, and everytime the same response.....No.

If I were you I would push as hard as you can. I used to get tonsillitus all the time, and kept getting told no, no, no. Then one year I got tonsillitus 10 times, so they finally took them out, but by that stage I was 17, I have never felt pain like it in my life. It was awful, I wouldn't eat because it was just too painful, so they got infected and it was just horrendous. It was so bad rather than swallowing fluids my body pushed them up and out of my nose instead (this still happens sometimes :shy:). They say the older you are the worse it is. So try as hard as you can to get them done while she's that bit younger. xx

If I were you I would push as hard as you can. I used to get tonsillitus all the time, and kept getting told no, no, no. Then one year I got tonsillitus 10 times, so they finally took them out, but by that stage I was 17, I have never felt pain like it in my life. It was awful, I wouldn't eat because it was just too painful, so they got infected and it was just horrendous. It was so bad rather than swallowing fluids my body pushed them up and out of my nose instead (this still happens sometimes :shy:). They say the older you are the worse it is. So try as hard as you can to get them done while she's that bit younger. xx

:happydance::happydance: She had them taken out last month, after a particularly bad episode of tonsillitis, we asked the GP to refer us to a different ENT surgeon, who did it within 6 weeks :thumbup:. Although it was a very painful op it is sooo worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->