Too early?

Reaction score
Dylan has 5 bottles a day, 4 x 8oz and 1 9oz bottle at bed time. He's draining his bedtime one but theres no room to increase it! I'm going to try and up the rest to 9 oz, but I'm worried where to go from there. Is he taking too mcuh milk. Should I start on a bit of baby rice or is it too early?
He's also grabbing at my food and trying to put it in his mouth (last night he grabbed a handful of cream from my cream cake :dohh:). He is still sleeping through, well he wakes in the night but I don't give him a bottle, he goes back to sleep with him dummy.

I'd probably hold off even longer, get as close to 6mo as you can. If he is content after his bottles he's probably fine. Grabbing food and putting it in their mouth I don't really agree with as being a real sign...unless they are doing lots of the other signs because babies mimic you, they see you do it they are interested in you. Plus they are just learning to grab and everything goes in their mouth. But here are some other signs to watch out for

Loss of tongue-thrust reflex - This allows baby to drink and swallow liquids with ease; with the tongue-thrust reflex still present, baby may simply drink in liquid purees or push the food back out. According to Dr. Jim Sears, in the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, giving the glob of cereal a fighting chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy

ready for solids Ability to let you know she is full from a "meal" with signs such as turning away from the bottle or breast. This is important so that baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten. This helps stop baby from accidentally overeating as parents may continue to feed baby thinking that she is still hungry.

ready for solids Ability to sit up and hold head up unassisted

ready for solids Interest in your food (we tend to disagree with this one as when a baby reaches the age of 4-6 months, he is interested in putting everything in his mouth!)

ready for solids Doubling of birth weight

ready for solids Frequently waking in the middle of the night when a solid sleeping pattern had been established. This may not be the best indicator that your baby is ready for solids. Please keep in mind that a growth spurt will occur between 3-4 months of age, 6-7 months of age and also 9-10 months of age. Baby may also be waking due to an illness or teething.

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

i'd speak to your HV, but personally i'd hold off a bit! if he's draining his evening bottle, try giving another bottle. i weaned katie at 11 weeks, but i was BF, if i'd FF i'd just have kept upping the oz, that amount of milk seems fine to me, i cant remember how the work out what they're meant to have for their age and weight, but that sounds fab to me!!

I'm pretty sure it's 2.5oz per pound in a 24hr period. But some babies still have less and some have more...it's really based on the individual baby

I weaned early at3 months... A small bowl of rice cereal at around dinner time... There is nothing wrong with it, if your baby has good head control and isn't colicky, then it is up to you.

41oz is getting to be alot of milk and its only going to increase as your baby gets bigger.

I'll hold off until next week and go to baby clinic to speak to my HV. He was a pain in the night last night, and I gave him an extra bottle through the night. I know that this could just be a growth spurt though.
He was 17lb 4 last week so he is taking just under what he is supposed to have. Maybe I should add that extra bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->