Too much weight gain?

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I'm worried that I'm gaining too much weight. I will be 28 weeks tomorrow and as of this morning I've gained just under 22 lbs. I don't understand it because I'm really not eating much if any more than I did pre-pregnancy and I really try to make healthy choices. My diet isn't perfect, but I would say it's healthier than most. I also, if anything, have been working out more consistently than before I was pregnant. I work out between 4-6 days a week alternating between running 2 miles and crossfit, plus I try to do Yoga once a week. And yet my weight gain is always at the high end of the recommended scale that I see on my week by week. At my 25 week appointment I asked my MW how much weight I should have gained and she said 10 lbs...I had already gained about 17 by then!! I know 3rd trimester is when weight gain really picks up so I'm very concerned! I want a healthy natural birth, so I don't want to be gaining excess weight.

I've just weighed myself this morning, and so far I've gained 3stone. I'm disappointed in myself but to be honest, I'm not going to fret about it, I will lose my weight once baby is born.

I'm sure you still look fabulous, don't beat yourself up about it, your weight gain really doesn't sound a lot to me.

Honestly, forget about it your pregnant.

Is 'average' online and what mw but yet again we dont always follow this pattern we all gain different amounts. Eg blood volume we hold, water volume baby lies in, retaining water in general.

Your clearly still keeping fit and active thats all that matters. You may find you drop 20lbs in first week after baby is born, who knows.

I never gained until 36w with my first then put on a whopping 4 stone in that time until i gave birth, yet lost 16lb or so in first 5 days.

I had so many of the same concerns! I gained so much in T2. Remarkably, my weight gain slowed WAY down in T3. Overall, I gained 35 pounds but I felt like it was going to be 50 when I was at 27 weeks!

I wouldn't worry about it, your body is going to do what it needs to do. I gained 45 lbs with my first pregnancy and couldn't lose all of it, I was still 15 lbs overweight when I got pregnant this time. Well, my body just is taking this pregnancy easier and I've only gained 18 lbs so far. I weight 8 lbs less than I did at this point in my previous pregnancy despite starting out 15 lbs heavier! I'm doing nothing different. I just eat healthy, do light exercise daily and let my body do what it needs to do.

I do find that I gain the most during the end of the second trimester to the first month of the 3rd and then it settles down to minimal gain at the end. If you are 28 weeks and have gained 22 lbs then if you gain 1 lb a week for the next month and 1/2 lb after that you'll have gained 30 lbs. A healthy weight gain for someone of a normal weight is 25-35 lbs, you're right in the middle. Really, don't worry about it.

That doesn't sound like too much to me. Your body will gain what it needs to gain for baby. Everyone and every pregnancy is different. With my first I gained 45-50lbs by the end, and my doctor wasn't too concerned. I ate well and that's all that mattered. This time I've only gained about 10lbs at 29w4d, and I'm eating the same way I did with my first. My body apparently needed more the first time around than it does now.
And I've posted this before, but it really is helpful to look at when you start feeling bad about the weight you are gaining :) Not everything is just excess weight!

•7 1/2 pounds is about how much the baby will weigh by the end of pregnancy.
•1 1/2 pounds is how much the placenta weighs.
•4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.
•2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.
•2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.
•4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.
•7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein and other nutrients.
•2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.
•Total: 30 pounds

It is hard when you are trying to keep on top of it. I am a plus size gal already so the Dr's and I both wanted to see my numbers stay around the same figure as where I started out. I am now just over 34 weeks and have only gained 5 pounds on my pre-pregnancy weight. This is mostly due to me losing some weight in the first and second tri, but now slowly it has been going up.
Hopefully my blood pressure etc doesn't follow suit as I really want a natural birth! We can't help but worry, it is a scary and exciting time after all :)

I think I gained too much weight, but my doctor and MW think I'm just fine.
19 kg as of yesterday :/
I worried about it a lot, but now that I'm near the end it worries me a bit less and I just tell myself that I'll diet and work out afterwards.
My diet is pretty good, I'm fit, I don't look like I've gained so much, people tell me it doesn't even look like I've gained extra.
So hopefully it is mostly all baby weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->