too young?

Novbaby08

Mom to Harley & Piper
Reaction score
I had a nurse come out to my house the other day, and while she was at my house she asked If I'm doing tummy time 15 minutes a day with Harley. I just feel like at not quite a month old she might be kind of young. She told me I should have been doing it as soon as I came home with her, and I told her she gets practice holding her head up all the time while she's laying on me and is probably one of the strongest newborns i've ever seen, and the nurse said it only counts if she's on a flat surface, but when I got out her tummy mat she started crying after a couple minutes.

Alexa hated tummy time... Probably until about 3 months, so I didn't force her, I just kept trying to see if she would go down. She was still really good holding her head up, and pushing herself off the floor quite a bit earlier than average babies, so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point, just keep trying to put her on the floor on her tummy, and see if she will stay-eventually she will. Good Luck!

I would go ahead and start laying her on her tummy. There are lots of babies who hate tummy time, and I think (in my situation anyways) it was because I didn't lay him on his tummy when he was younger. I think if she gets used to it at a bit younger age she will enjoy it alot more.

Ive been doing tummy time since she was born... I was advised to by the doctor, it helps with gas/colic and it helps their spinal strength developement. And also keeps them from getting super bad flat spot on their head.

But you do what your comfortable with. I get Jasmine on her tummy as much as possible, sometimes she cries, sometimes she loves it. She has been able to hold her head up for awhile.

well she likes laying on her tummy, she prefers it, just not on a flat surface

well she likes laying on her tummy, she prefers it, just not on a flat surface

Are you/someone holding her while she likes it? If so, it's probably more just the fact that your holding her, not that she's on her tummy. Colton used to sleep on me while I was laying down all the time, he loved beng held like that; but then after he started wanting to sit up more, I soon realized it was because I was holding him (as he didn't even want to sit on his own-wanted me to hold him sitting as well).
And I'm not saying you should set her in the floor for "15 minutes" whether she is getting upset or not. I strongly believe a baby her age should be attended to when they start crying. But if she will lay in the floor (even with you down there laying next to her & talking/playing) for 5 minutes then thats better than nothing. Do it a few times a day and if she starts getting upset then get her and hold off until later that day/the next day.
I'm just saying all this from experience and all in my own opinion though. I never laid Colton in the floor/on a flat surface (hold him almost all the time) and although he could hold his head up GREAT when I was holding him/he was sitting on my lap; at 3mo he could barely lift his head off the floor!! (And I was seeing pics of babies lifting their whole upper bodies off the floor then!) And even then, I still barely sat him in the floor because by then he would SCREAM his head off to be held. Now, at 9.5mo he is alot better. Still doesn't enjoy floor time unless someone is constantly playing with him. But he doesn't crawl like other babies. He gets around by scooting, but he still doesn't crawl on all fours.

I have been giving Addison tummy time since she was brought home from the hospital. She hated it at first, But I knew that it was good for her. And coming from someone whose baby has flat head syndrome. Tummy time is a really good thing :) Its better to get started now.

Plus they get used to it for crawling and such. Tummy time is a good thing. You dont have to put them on the floor for 15 minutes, just a couple of minutes here and there.

I have been giving Addison tummy time since she was brought home from the hospital. She hated it at first, But I knew that it was good for her. And coming from someone whose baby has flat head syndrome. Tummy time is a really good thing :) Its better to get started now.

Plus they get used to it for crawling and such. Tummy time is a good thing. You dont have to put them on the floor for 15 minutes, just a couple of minutes here and there.
My baby is getting a flat head and I'm freaking out about it! I didn't start tummy time straight away, as I wasn't explained to me properly. I thought I didn't do it until much later on. I have started it now, but he can only manage a few minutes at a time. At least I've made a start I suppose.

My baby is getting a flat head and I'm freaking out about it! I didn't start tummy time straight away, as I wasn't explained to me properly. I thought I didn't do it until much later on. I have started it now, but he can only manage a few minutes at a time. At least I've made a start I suppose.

I have had a terrible time with the flat head thing. Do you prop at night? That has helped us alot. And if its just on one side (Addisons is on the back right of her head) we do everything on the left. Put her the other way on the change table, so when she looks at me, she isn't resting on the flat spot :) Feel free to msg me...Ive been through it :(

I do it everyday, she just hates it, and spends it laying there looking like a turtle. And after like 3 minutes she starts crying.

I do it everyday, she just hates it, and spends it laying there looking like a turtle. And after like 3 minutes she starts crying.

Then maybe just do it for those 3 minutes until she starts crying.

What the hell is tummy time?!

lol well its where you lay them on their tummy for a few minute, its suppose to help them build their core muscles. There are tummy time mats, their mats will little pillows you lay the baby on, on their stomach.

What the hell is tummy time?!

lol well its where you lay them on their tummy for a few minute, its suppose to help them build their core muscles. There are tummy time mats, their mats will little pillows you lay the baby on, on their stomach.

I wonder why no-one has mentioned this to me? Byron is often on his tummy on me, quite flat if I'm slouching! lol

Renah just looks like a turtle too. She doesn't cry but she doesn't do anything either except look at me with a "help me" look :( She doesn't attempt to lift her head or anything,she just lies there till I pick her back up.

I got the same advice about max when he was younger ..but he hated it big time I only let him lay there for about 5 min ..he only really started liking it when he got to 3 months or so

Renah just looks like a turtle too. She doesn't cry but she doesn't do anything either except look at me with a "help me" look :( She doesn't attempt to lift her head or anything,she just lies there till I pick her back up.

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->