Took nurofen, have I done any damage?

HappyHome

Big family = Busy family
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I took some nurofen yesterday after a quick read of the outer box, on reading the inner instructions later it says avoid if breast feeding.
Is this likely to have caused any problems?
My MW said I could take some to reduce my swelling so i presumed it was ok?
Thanks for any replies xx

My MW suggested I take nurofen to help with the swelling a few days after birth. I now take it when I get a headache as nothing else touches it. I haven't noticed any difference in DD after I take it and my GP didn't seem concerned. As far as I can gather its such a tiny amount that can pass in your milk that it shouldn't have any ill effects.

I have taken it before as I had severe wisdom tooth pain and it didn't cause any problems. Paracetamol is the preferred painkiller when breastfeeding, but the amounts that pass through will be so small. They usually just say avoid if breastfeeding or to consult your doctor to cover themselves. I'm sure your LO will be fine :thumbup:

It's fine. They gave me diclofenac in hospital for after pains which is similar to ibuprofen. My mw also said I could take ibuprofen for after pains when I got home. A tiny amount passes through to milk but not enough to be harmful.

Ibuprofen is fine while breastfeeding - https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/dibm/analgesics_for_website_july_2013 (2).pdf (https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html for the index)

Not that I'm saying you should ignore box instructions but most medicines will say to avoid when pregnant or breastfeeding. If you have advice from a trusted medical professional then I would go with that. Especially since this seems to be one thing most peoples midwives have agreed on.

NHS prescribing guidelines say most NSAIDs of which ibuprofen is one are fine while BF at doses many times higher than the OTC dose. The only exceptions are aspirin and another one that is prescription only that I forgot the name of xx

Thank you all.
Been worried and in a fair bit of discomfort too so I will take some again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->