Tooth brushing with toddlers

We started about 18 months or so and got them light saber tooth brushes because they talk and light up so it's fun. I first taught them to open their mouth just to get them to do it on request. When I brush my teeth I told them teeth and then did my routine on their level and let them really watch was I did. After a few days I said teeth and grabbed the brush and told them to open and just started brushing when I finished they wanted to brush so I let them and would turn all the noise and lights on which they loved. They are 2 now and they will ask to do their teeth they love it. I always do the same routine so they open thier mouth and I brush their teeth and then let them brush their teeth. They can do it but don't do a great job. Once they get better at it I'll let them do it on their own.

We do it twice once in the morning and once before bed. I don't really time it but letting the lights and noise run its course is what I hobby and they usually do it longer. I just slowly worked them into it. I think getting fun toothbrushes helped.

Hi. Up until yesterday I would brush my dds teeth every couple days at night. If she seemed interested I would give her a brush and let her chew on it but she hates it. We went to the dentist yesterday and because we don't brush regularly and she's breastfeeding through the night she has decay on her two top teeth. She is 20 months old so if she develops cavities there isn't much they can do as they would need to put her under general anesthesia to fix them. What they told me is night brushing is really important cause the saliva glands sleep too. So they told me about these wipes called spiffles that can wipe down the teeth after night feeding. I tried them last night but it didn't work well. I should have started that sooner and dd doesn't agree it's time for night weaning.... So anyway for brushing the dentist recommended laying dds head on my lap and trapping her legs and arms under my legs and making sure I get tooth paste on each tooth. How long I brush is directly related to the fit dd throws and you work up. I would really recommend consistent brushing to avoid cavities
---

Oh and I kind of hold their head against my side and wrap my arm around their head with a hand under their chin to hold their head still, it probably looks weird but they are totally fine with it, otherwise they bob their heads around a lot with the motion of the brush and make it a lot harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->