Toothache, any pain relief ideas?

Boomerslady

Reaction score
I'm in sooo much pain it's unreal, the whole left side of my face hurts, I'm at the point where is have all my teeth removed if a dentist offered, I can't relax, I keep snapping at Ben. I've had enough teeth trouble before to know to tap each tooth and I'm 99% sure it's my top wisdom tooth.

I've got a dentist app in the morning because a tooth on the other side need a crown but the filling fell out on Feiday, but I know they won't have time to fix it.

I have a very high tolerance of pain killers and if I'm honest I've taken more co codamal (8/500) in the last 24 hours than I should, and it's not touching the sides!! I'm just crying :(

What can I do? Will an em doc give me stronger pain killers? I can't get to one though I have Ben and no car. This is horrendous!

Swirling whiskey round the area may help ... It certainly helped me when I had horrendous toothache a few years back (vodka works OK too).

Other than that I don't know of anything else. For some reason swirling ice cold water round aching teeth help me too.

ask for paramol its the stongest over the counter painkiller you can get. It works within the nerves so its great for toothache. Also clove oil. If you cant get either of those you can alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol and codine. Also you can get stronger paracetamol and codine 12mg/500mg.

It's times like this I wish I was a drinker!! I don't have anything in the flat :(

I used cold water this morning when at cinema but as soon as it ran out it hurt more. Looks like ill have to go GP tomorrow and beg for stronger pain killers. Last time it took 3 months for an appointment to remove my wisdom tooth :(

ETA I just saw the replies, thanks ladies ill go straight to pharmacy when bens at nursery in morning. Tonight ill have to alternate ibroprofen and paracetamol. It's like torture :(

I have had the worst ever toothache in the past. I rotated neurofen and paracetamol. I took the neurofen or ibuprofen then about 2hrs later the paracetamol and so on. I kept a record of it. It did take the pain away. I had abcesses on my tooth and ended up with root treatment. You should try it. The pain i had was just the worst thing ever.

Ibuprofen and codeine worked for me, didn't need a prescription. I bought it over the counter.

Ill give stronger over the counter things a try tomorrow but my body is so used to them they don't really work, plus I'm a wimp with pain!! I keep wanting to punch myself in the face lol.

Might also be worth trying warm salt water rinses. If there is any infection it helps draw it out.

I had it a few weeks ago and it was horrific - I feel for you! I second Paramol, they are really good, I was taking them alongside Ibuprofen. I got toothache on the Friday and ended up in dental hospital on the Sunday morning - they drilled and filled it until I got to see my own dentist for root canal treatment on the Wednesday - the Paramol seen me through the few days! My dentist advised against clove oil but I ended up using it anyway as the pain was so bad! Is there anyone who could go get you Paramol this evening? Hope it subsides soon :hugs:

Thanks hunni. It's eased slightly now, it gets really bad then eases for a bit then bad again. I've got no one :( I'm single and my mum is abroad, my sister is nearby but wouldn't do that for me. I found some naproxen (which is for my back) so tried that as I've realised I've got no ibroprofen either :dohh: I've found some nytol though so I might take one soon to help me get to sleep!

It seems to get worse at night time and why does it always happen at weekends!! :dohh: Hope you get a sleep tonight x

Lol it always happens at weekends!! 2 Fridays ago my filling cracked and had to wait until Mon, then Fri just gone the temp filling came off bringing the rest of the original one with it!!! Now my wisdom tooth is playing up!!

I'm thinking its infected, I've had a few before but this is worse. Does anyone know if it's painful touching my cheek on that side is a sign of infection? Roll on 10.15 tomorrow and the dentist!!

That is what I had a couple of weeks ago. Mine was an abscess. Very very painful, no painkiller would touch it. Honestly, salt water is brilliant for drawing the infection out.

Thanks hun ill give it a go! I actually don't mind salt rinses lol.

A warm salt water rinse will draw out any infection and try holding a hot water bottle/compress to the side of you face, hope you get relief soon! xxx

Clove oil, dip a cotton bud in a put directly on tooth and bite down for 10-15 secs. Works everytime. Also never lie down with toothache it makes it worse. If possible tonight sleep sitting up and that will ease the pain.

I had toothache for the first time in my life the other month (I think it was set off with all the hormones I was taking). The only thing that would take the pain off was to brush the tooth with toothpaste, strangely enough the pain would let up once I did this, I was brushing my teeth up to 15 times a day because of this. I also applied raw garlic to it and it helped. I had a filling the other week and a temporary filling at the time, no pain now. I hope you get some relief, tooth pain can be awful :hugs:

Is there not an emergency dentist you can call? We have one that's open until midnight that gives emergency appointments. Try phoning NHS 24 to see if they can point you in the right direction

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I just got back from the dentist, she said she can't see any holes etc in the teeth that hurt but said there's deep fillings in there so could be nerve/gums she's given me anti biotics and I bought some paramol and ibroprofen at the chemist so hope they help a bit. Luckily it eased for an hour or so last night and I managed a soft dinner!! It's hurting like mad right now though I think because she fiddled!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->