Torn between the easy way or the tough way!

jesssika

Mummy to Charlotte
Reaction score
So, next month, I'm going down to Sydney to stay with my dad for a couple of weeks, and my boyfriend is coming with me. We had the flights booked before I fell pregnant. This will be the first time my OH has met my dad and vice versa. I'm just not sure if I want to ruin the vacation by walking up to my dad in the airport and being like hey dad! This is my first visit in 3 years and I'm pregnant to this guy whom you don't even know! So I don't know if I should do that or I was considering waiting until we were going to leave or even when I was back home to tell him. My dad is one of those soft biker types but also "if you touch my daughter you're road kill mate" but the visit will also be 2 weeks after my 18th birthday and he said he wants to take me to some clubs for drinks and that ones gonna be hard to get around.

I just don't know, I feel like I'm being weak by considering an easy way but I also know what my dads like and he is likely to castruate my boyfriend in his sleep :( I see my mum in 2 weeks on my birthday and plan to tell her then, but I am not worried to tell her as she's known my OH for the full 3 years we've been together and has visited our home regularly in the one year we've been living together and I know she doesn't see me as a teenager, to her I'm a grown adult more mature than anyone she knows but I'm still my dads baby! He hasn't watched me mature :( so I just don't know how to handle this situation n

Have any of you been in a similar situation? I really want some good advice..

How long are you staying? I would let your dad get to know your partner first for a few days and then maybe announce it?

Id let your dad get to know him first, so you dont have to worry about your dad punching your OH instead of shaking his hand. :haha:

Just a little reassurance... I was the biggest daddys girl growing up, and was super afraid to tell me dad the first time I was pregnant. I found out the day before my 17th birthday, and told him ON my birthday, so he couldnt kill me. Instead, he went and bought me a dozen roses, and a card, and hugged me. Not the reaction I was certainly expecting, but he may just surprise you!

Id let your dad get to know him first, so you dont have to worry about your dad punching your OH instead of shaking his hand. :haha:

Just a little reassurance... I was the biggest daddys girl growing up, and was super afraid to tell me dad the first time I was pregnant. I found out the day before my 17th birthday, and told him ON my birthday, so he couldnt kill me. Instead, he went and bought me a dozen roses, and a card, and hugged me. Not the reaction I was certainly expecting, but he may just surprise you!

Hahaha that's why I'm going to tell my mum on my birthday :haha: but I am really hoping he surprises me! I called him tonight though and we were talking about my cat and he said and I quote "just as long as its a kitty and not a kiddy, I'm too young to be a grandpa heh" I was just like aw yeah dad have I got a surprise for you :( hahaha I hadn't thought of letting him get to know my OH first til you and PP suggested it! It sounds better than both my options :haha:

If your partner is coming with you could you not give it a few days to let your Dad get to know him, make a lot of effort to establish a bond and then break the news to him? Maybe break the news in a positive light so he gets the vibe that its a positive thing? Also you've been with your OH for 3 years so hopefully that will signify to your Dad that you guys are for keeps so he doesn't need to worry about that.

Good luck :D

If your partner is coming with you could you not give it a few days to let your Dad get to know him, make a lot of effort to establish a bond and then break the news to him? Maybe break the news in a positive light so he gets the vibe that its a positive thing? Also you've been with your OH for 3 years so hopefully that will signify to your Dad that you guys are for keeps so he doesn't need to worry about that.

Good luck :D

Yeah dad knows we've been together that long, I just don't know how he'll react to his baby having a baby! Haha

I personally would tell him before I went out there. I know I was so scare to tell my older brother I was pregnant and I was suppose to go out and see him two weeks after I found out. I called and told him, he turned out to be super supportive but I am glad I got it out before I went there.

Honesty is the best when dealing with problems, if you keep it a secret till you get home again he is going to be more upset

I agree with Kat, maybe let him know before you go so he's got time to get his head around the idea and accept it :) x

I personally would tell him before I went out there. I know I was so scare to tell my older brother I was pregnant and I was suppose to go out and see him two weeks after I found out. I called and told him, he turned out to be super supportive but I am glad I got it out before I went there.

Honesty is the best when dealing with problems, if you keep it a secret till you get home again he is going to be more upset

I agree with Kat, maybe let him know before you go so he's got time to get his head around the idea and accept it :) x

Thanks for this suggestion girls, but that's definitely not an option as I'd rather tell him face to face if I can, that's just the way I've decided I want to do it, one way or another!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->