Torticullos? Worried question

poppy

Mum of Three
Reaction score
I am a bit worried about Tristan's neck.

He seems to prefer turning his head to the left side and almost never lies with his head to the right - even if you try and get his attention on this side, he moves his eyes towards you but doesn't turn his head in this direction. When I gently try to position his head in this direction, he always moves it back.

I have done some research on the internet (yep! I know, this isn't advised) and it could be something called torticullos. It basically means that the muscle becomes a bit tighter and shortened on one side - usually to do with how the baby was lying in the womb, the baby being very big or a difficult delivery. Now, I am thinking that this would be consistent with Tristan as I am quite slightly built (I did not have a massive bump) and Tristan was nearly 10 pounds and 53 cm when he was born. Also, he was born by forceps as he had difficulty coming out being so big.

I have booked an appointment with the doctor for Monday to check this out. From what I have read, they recommend physiotherapy exercises if your baby has this problem. Untreated, it can just get worse and can lead to flat head syndrome as the baby will tend to lie in one direction. So, I am hoping to get this sorted out as soon as possible - hopefully, the doctor says he doesn't have it but if he does at least I can know how to help remedy it.

Anyone else had experience with this?

xxx

Hey Poppy ... my little one also prefers her head to the right and same as you when trying to attract attention from left dont move it over very often. However when I feed her she looks straight forward and when upset/hungry and in a flap she moves it around. My friends baby was the same until her little boy was about 2 months.

Let us know how u get on but feel sure he will be fine xxx

Hannah was the same, preferred one side to the other until recently. And it's only in the last few weeks or so that she's actually started turning her head when she hears us (instead of trying to follow our movements with her eyes only)

Max always prefered one side , I spoke to my GP and he said to make him turn the other side at least 2 times per day after about 2 weeks he now dose this on his own

Thankyou so much! You spend the entire time during pregnancy worrying and analysing every little thing your body does and you think that when the baby gets here you won't worry - but it only gets worse! As a new mum, you are constantly alert to any changes in your baby and worry about them. I am trying not to be a worry wart but ...you all know what it's like.

Thanks again girls!

xxx

Incidently, Tristan does have a really strong neck for his age - even a couple of hours after birth he was trying to lift it on his own. It is just this preference for one side that is worrying me!

Bren was the same way. He always starts out asleep with his head turned to the right as well.

i have this problem myself can only turn my head so far one way but the other way is fine when i turn it the one way i get a pulling feeling in my neck like the muscle is stretching

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->