Toxoplasmosis Phobia- Advice Much Appreciated

If you've had your cats for a while, the chances that you've already been exposed toxoplasmosis is high, so you shouldn't be worried about getting it again. But definitely don't change the litterbox and if you HAVE to, wash your hands afterwards.

This is what my thought process was when I was pregnant with my first. I've had my indoor cat for 12 years and she never goes out so I figure if she does have it I've already been exposed. I cleaned her litter boxes and never had an issues. (She's living with my rents at the moment though :( )

I have a cat and when i got pregnant last year I asked my OB and my vet about this. I'm single so I HAVE to be the one to clean her litter box. They both told me not to worry and that it's very rare. They said that the cat would have to be infected by eating rodents outside. Then when they poop in their litter box, I'd have to get the poop on my hand and then get that poop in my mouth. Also, even if the cat is infected, it only becomes contangious to humans after the poop has sat in the little box for (I forgot how many hours), but if you change it daily there shouldn't be a problem at all even if the cat is infected. It's not airborne...altho I've seen people post that on here b/4. (check with your own vet)

Essentially, my OB and even my high risk perinatologist (high risk due to age and history of m/c) told me not to worry. Just do as I usually do, which is wash my hands after changing her litter. If you are this worried tho, it might be a good idea to talk to your own doctor and vet, or a vet who has experience with toxoplasmosis b/c none of us on these forums are experts, you know....for better peace of mind, I mean. Good luck :)

This thread has been soooooo helpful in calming my toxo paranoia. I have been worried as I am 6w3d pregnant and have 3 indoor cats (which I found so at one point were outdoor). I am the one that cleans litter, I keep meaning to buy a mask and disposable gloves but I have terrible baby brain and keep forgetting. I wash my hands several times a day and always after cleaning litter, but I kiss my cats all the time :S ahhhhhhh!

Ladies, you all need to relax and do some more reading about how you contract it from cats. Its spread in their faeces so no you wont get it touching their hair etc. And also it takes the 'oocysts' several days to hatch so even picking up fresh faeces has minimal risk. You probably have a higher risk contracting from eating raw meat and doing gardening that you do catching it off your cat. Ps I am a vet, and also pregnant. Relax ladies!

I work in my colleagues house 2 days a week. She has 2 cats that mostly stay indoors. Their litter trays are in our office. They never use then when I'm there as they are so shy and stay under the bed in another room. I hadn't given it a second thought but now you ladies are scaring me lol

It is a very small risk to you especially since your cats are indoors. You can get it other ways, cats are not always the number 1 cause.

I am currently going through this.. I asked my Dr for a toxo test early on in my pregnancy and it came back positive. I had a recent infection, just how recent noone knows for sure. It for sure has been a scary and uncertain time and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Hi Debbie,
I know this is an old post but how did this end up affecting your precious bubba? I am not immune (did an igm and igg last week - both neg) but am going to do another igm in two weeks after a gardening incident. I know it is unlikely but I am paranoid about this. Did you have to go on medication? Thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->