Toxoplasmosis question

CharCharxxx

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I've just got a question for anyone who may know. I was looking at going to the farm next month which is when I'm around 37-38 weeks, I've stayed away from farms the whole pregnancy because i didn't want to risk any infection from sheep/lambs. I didn't even want to chance the kids getting anything on their boots or clothing. I read lambing season is typically January to April so do you think I'll still be at risk in June? X

I've been around farms and I just don't touch the animals myself at all, and make sure my son washes his hands extra well. I never thought about shoes. :dohh: I think as long as you're careful, it's not something you shouldn't do? I mean my sister lives on a farm with lots of animals and she just had her second baby.

Thanks for your reply! I did wonder what women who live on farms must do. I've been to farms in the past when pregnant but weirdly I've waited til my fourth baby to start being paranoid about it lol hopefully by June it won't be an issue! X

I live on a farm and the highest risk with sheep is the afterbirth during lambing. That could be infected with toxoplasmosis. I would also stay away from newborn lambs that could potentially have afterbirth on them. Older lambs though and adult sheep typically don't carry toxoplasmosis on their wool unless they are in close contact with lambing ewes (which most farmers usually seperate any ewes about to birth from the flock) so I think you're fine. During lambing season here I typically let my husband work with the ewes and newborns. I'll pet them after about a week or so of being born and my babies have never suffered any ill effects. We've had sheep since my second was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->