Traditional Surrogacy- Baby Selling?

LeeBee

Reaction score
I've been reading up on gestational surrogacy, and came across this (traditional surrogacy). Not sure about the UK, but in the US people are paid big bucks for this (starting at $30,000) and it seems to be much more controversial than I had thought. Lots of people calling it baby selling and such... Just curious what people think about this? And for those who don't know, traditional surrogacy is where you are implanted with a sperm donor and then go on to carry the baby for another couple (as opposed to gestational surrogacy where you are implanted with another woman's egg). I hope I explained that well enough... anyways, do you agree?

No I dont think it is baby selling as there may be a reason why the womans eggs cant be used so they use the surrogates instead, also they are doing it as a surrogate with the intention of carrying for the couple so they arent selling their baby even though technically in law the mother of the child is the woman who gives birth to it.

Also I assume that gestational surrogates are compensated as well so dont really see how this is any different :shrug:

I think the intention behind the conception makes all the difference. This child was concieved FOR someone, not that you got pregnant and wanted to sell the result.
Pregnancy takes a toll on your body, compensating for it is perfectly reasonable.

Is it any more wrong to donate your eggs or sperm? Any more wrong to be a surrogate with a donated egg? Why complicate a procedure by forcing the surrogate to use donated eggs?

As far as I'm aware the money is to reimburse medical fees? I don't think a surrogate mother should be out of pocket for carrying the couples child but no, she shouldn't make a profit either.

I don't really have a set in stone opinion yet, but I do see where people are coming from. I mean, I know there are people out there who are just kind hearted and want to help a couple become parents. But there are also those who go into with the mindset that "hey, I can get pregnant and make $30,000!". To each their own, I guess... But in a way I kind of agree that it's very similiar to "selling your baby". For me, GS would be different because it wouldn't be mine... if that makes any sense.

I do see the point in it being comparable to donating eggs too, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be quite on the same level.

As far as I'm aware the money is to reimburse medical fees? I don't think a surrogate mother should be out of pocket for carrying the couples child but no, she shouldn't make a profit either.

As I understand it, the $30,000 is in addition to medical fees. But I could be wrong about that...

What about the toll that being pregnant can take on your body? You could end up with SPD, end up on bedrest, each subsequent pregnancy can be more painful etc. You could even potentially have a hystorectomy if your delivery goes really bad.

It is very selfless to do that out of the goodness of your heart, but there is nothing wrong with being compensated for the risks you are taking. IMO

I'm sure it could get expensive.I've read there were cases where a woman's body can't handle pregnancy for whatever reason, so that woman will ask another woman if she would carry her egg and her husband's sperm for her...but by the time the surrogate mother gave birth, she already bonded with the baby and could not give the baby away to his biologically parents. naturally, they can claim the baby as their own.

No I dont think it is baby selling as there may be a reason why the womans eggs cant be used so they use the surrogates instead, also they are doing it as a surrogate with the intention of carrying for the couple so they arent selling their baby even though technically in law the mother of the child is the woman who gives birth to it.

Also I assume that gestational surrogates are compensated as well so dont really see how this is any different :shrug:

I agree with this :flower:

Do we pay people for egg and sperm donation? Yes

Do we pay people for participation in medical research trials? Yes

Why would we look down on compensating someone for time and travel for carrying a child to term when....-points at gestational complications subforum-

I think the intention behind the conception makes all the difference. This child was concieved FOR someone, not that you got pregnant and wanted to sell the result.
Pregnancy takes a toll on your body, compensating for it is perfectly reasonable.

Is it any more wrong to donate your eggs or sperm? Any more wrong to be a surrogate with a donated egg? Why complicate a procedure by forcing the surrogate to use donated eggs?

Agreed. If you are purposely surrogating for someone, you are providing a service. Why not get paid for it? We, as a society, scoff at doing things for free, why should intentional surrogacy be any different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->