Transvaginal ultrasound tech refused to give me pictures. Why

ImReadyBaby

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So I went for a transvaginal ultrasound on Monday the tech showed us the pictures and we seen a heartbeat and the baby measured at 8mm. She didn't tell us what the heartbeat was and when I asked for pictures she said they were unable to give pictures at this early stage in case something happens and there are complications. I am really freaking out right now. Did this happen to anyone else and everything turned out ok. I haven't heard anything from my dr and it has been 4 days. She said that haven't received the ultrasound results yet. She did send me for more blood work after I had some spotting on Tuesday evening, I don't know what to think right now. The tech wasn't very nice and didn't seem to open with information, she did tell me it wasn't a epcotic pregnancy. Please anyone with similar experiences please share. I really don't keno what to think of all of this. Why wouldn't they give me a picture when she showed me everything on the screen?

I didn't get one from my early scan, but I also never asked.

I didn't think anything of it until today when I remembered she said they don't give them out in case of complications. I was just so happy the baby was in the uterus and had a heartbeat. Everything looked normal but I'm not a dr lol I may just be overreacting and looking to far into things. Trying to of stay positive.

With my doctor the early scan machines aren't as good with pictures, my nurse grabbed my phone and took a picture of the screen for me but that was all they could do.

I wouldn't worry I have been given the images in a packet or on disc every time whether there had been complications or not and only have been given a picture when getting to 12 weeks. Seeing a heart beat seems good?

Thank everyone who has posted it is very comforting.

I guess I'm just confused as to why I couldn't have the picture when I see so many others have gotten early pictures. She told me how far along I was but didn't give a due date. She showed the heartbeat but didn't tell me what it was. She did tell me that baby was 8 mm and that puts me around 6 or 7 weeks. She didn't smile or say anything encouraging even though I clearly stated how scared I was. She Lao didn't warn me that spotting may occur from the transvaginal ultrasound. Which I am told is possible. I did spot the day after and it has since stopped. I have no idea why I am having such anxiety with this pregnancy, it seems like everyday I think something is wrong and then I worry that my worrying will cause issues. I guess I'm just going crazy! :wacko:

Maybe that is just the techs personality some people aren't that good with people I've had 4 miscarriages and they have had no problem telling me when I've been in there that there is no heart beat or that it looks behind what it should be so I wouldn't stress if she said you were that far and it matches your dates and you have seen the heart beat. I know what you mean though I worry all the time even now I'm past 12 weeks and they have said everything looks good, wish I could have an ultrasound every day to ease my mind haha.

Hi fern
I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriages it's my biggest fear. Now that I no it isn't ectopic. Knowing there was a heartbeat and the baby measures accordingly is comforting. I'm sorry that your also experiencing many worries it is very stressing and even effects my dreams. So I feel like I'm constantly stressing out my baby! I agree with the ultrasound thing everyday lol I wish in had my own machine hooked up 24/7. I even told my dr I should just move into the waiting room! She smiled but I think she knew I was only half joking lol I wish you the best and so happy to hear you are past the 12 week

That is so strange.. I have never heard of them not giving you the pictures!

I know that I why I am so concerned. She even said we don't give them out in case of complications! Why would you say that and not explain anything.

Was this at a doctors office or did you get sent to an outside place for an ultrasound (hospital, clinic)? With my last my first ultrasound was at 7w2d and I went to the hospital for it and they didn't give me a picture (Although the tech was awesome and let me take a picture of the screen with my phone). Usually if it's not your doctor doing it or not at your doctors office they can't tell you anything, they have to send the report to your doctor and they have to tell you (for all kinds of ultrasounds not just pregnancy related)

In my area if its an early transvaginal scan they do not give out pictures purley becausause you only have one if there has been a feer of the pregnancy i.e spotting cramping etc so instead of making any of the parents have hope or get excited they don't give it out just in case were as they don't date or anything till between 10-13+6 so your have yo wait until baby is viable to get a scan picture unless you pay privatly xx

Maybe it's just policy. With my dd I was given a picture at 5+3 wks or something. Current baby I had a quick scan at 7+2 and wasn't given a picture, also didn't ask (but I was offered one at my next appointment that I took!). as for the heart rate I was never given that. It's unlikely she means that you are going to have complications just that it's their policy not to give them out. As another poster said, some u/s techs are just really bad at talking to people!

I'm sure everything is fine. Try to relax! Easier said than done I know...

I was given pics with my early scans, and I even had pics of my 20 weeks scan when we knew for sure the baby wouldn't survive! Those pics are previous to me so it's silly not doing pics in case something goes wrong!!

I was given pics with my early scans, and I even had pics of my 20 weeks scan when we knew for sure the baby wouldn't survive! Those pics are previous to me so it's silly not doing pics in case something goes wrong!!

I definitely agree! if I ever were in a situation like that, I would want pictures to remember the baby by!

I've gone to the same facility for each of my pregnancies. They are ultrasound/picture happy--I have too many. With that said, they never gave me pictures of my early scans. They usually start at 9 weeks or 12 weeks with the picture print ups/cd images to take home.

I wouldn't stress it too much. You'll get your precious pics soon enough. :flower::flower:

I was the same as you, "but other women have their early pics." Some places don't give early ones because it doesn't look like a "real baby" yet.

Cheer up. :hugs:

Hi ladies
So I want to say that all your comments have been such a blessing. It has really helped ease my mind, I did not have it done at the drs office it was done at a clinic. Therefore I think it was just there policy. I have since heard from my dry office and everything looks great! She said my blood levels are high and that everything came back normal. She didn't say anything about the ultrasound but seeing as the clinic also received the results and I have yet to hear anything I am not going to worry. When I went at 4 weeks they did an abdominal scan and didn't find anything. The very next day I received a call from the clinic saying I needed to come in right away. Maybe I should look into going to a different clinic as there has been nothing wrong after both scans but the clinic has made feel as if there was!
Once again thank you to everyone who has posted here for me I really appreciate it!

I didn't get an ultrasound picture till 12 weeks. I don't think they give u/s pictures for the early stages. The u/s tech probably just had that kind of personality. I've had ones that were super nice and talked to me the whole time and ones that just talked to me in the end and rushed me out.

try not to read too much into it. i had an upsetting US yesterday and freaked out all day until i heard from my dr. she reassured me that everything was ok.. and also reminded me that US techs are NOT drs! they are trained to take measurements and know basic info but they don't know everything. i am 7w1d.. my US yesterday the baby measured 6w1d. she freaked me out and said i needed to follow up with my dr. my dr then told me that because of the strong heartbeat, high and doubling HCG and all my symptoms that it is not an issue and that i have absolutely no reason to worry. the techs don't know us or our history..sometimes i wish the tech's just weren't allowed to tell us anything at all! then we wouldn't read into anything that they did!

i went into the US telling the tech that i was worried as i had had a MC in February. she did show me the heartrate and some small pieces of info but hardly anything else.

glad that your dr is not worried!! and yeah.. maybe go to a different clinic!! H&H 9 months!

That sounds weird but they were probably just following some policy. I have all my scans on DVD, it's cool going back and watching a video of when my son was 2mm long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->