Transvaginal Ultrasounds

oregoon

Reaction score
Just had my first prenatal appointment yesterday- everything was awesome besides having to be there 3 hours instead of 1.5 hours as promised ;)

One thing that surprised me was the transvaginal ultrasound. I had read so much on here that its painful and people hate it! Because I'm 7 weeks, my doc elected to do a transvaginal instead of a traditional one. I was so nervous but it ended up being NOT so bad at all!

So for all you who are scared... Its really not so bad. Sorry to hear about those of you who had painful experiences, but it felt no different than BD'ing... Sorry for tmi :)

I agree! I had an abdominal and was misdiagnosed with a blighted ovum, so went to the hospital asking for an internal scan. Could barely feel it, and it's much more comforting and reassuring!

Mine wasn't really that bad, but was uncomfortable at times. Mostly when she was moving it around and doing all the same checking that she did with the abdominal (ie checking my ovaries, my uterus etc.). I don't do well with that area to begin with so it was uncomfortable for me.

Yup I had one postpartum and it's not a big deal. It kind of feels like a hard plastic man part. Or toy haha. Basically a thin want with a bulb on the end.

I've had about 10 or so transvaginal ultrasounds. I've never had any be painful. Would be horrible if they were.

I never felt a thing until she told me she was going to push harder. And it was not painful but just pressure. I think nerves being tense has some women in more pain from clenching. It was easier then the cervix check I had as with the lights off for TVUS I felt a lot more modest!

I don't mind the US either. It was never a big deal. My doctor keeps says, sorry, this will be internal, and I really don't care.
It only hurt once or twice during a follicle follow up when he swiveled it from side to side. And it wasn't that it hurt- it was just slightly uncomfortable.
I'd prefer internal any day if it meant getting a better picture and idea of what's going on. I don't understand why abdominal US are sometimes done at 8 weeks.

They have never been uncomfortable for me either I've lost count as to how many I've had transvaginal but I agree nothing to worry about

I had my first appointment on Monday, and was expecting it. My sister filled me on what might happen, and I knew at only 8 weeks the transvaginal ultrasound is what they would do since it's the best way to see the baby at that time. I wasn't terribly nervous, seeing as I am used to the general pap smears and stuff, so I wasn't expecting it to be any different. It didn't hurt, and it was great to see my little raspberry :)

I've had 3 now (2 for a cyst and one for squiddy!). Never found them painful!! A little uncomfortable when they look for the cyst as they ram it up against my ovary lol. Not painful, just pressure.

I find holding my bladder for the abdominal far more uncomfortable.... And it's a relief when they say to empty it as they're going internal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->