Travelling pregnant or with baby - would/have you?

I was wondering this too, as I was maybe going to be pregnant when we go to Japan soon but we have pushed it back. We are really hoping to be able to travel overseas with young children as it's important to us :)

I was wondering this too, as I was maybe going to be pregnant when we go to Japan soon but we have pushed it back. We are really hoping to be able to travel overseas with young children as it's important to us :)

Hi :) I feel exactly the same! I have friends that have taken children under 3 over to Japan/UK/USA etc (we are in Australia) so I can see that its an option but my mum definitely would prefer I travel before kids...I can see that it would be easier in a lot of ways but I don't mind about a challenge!

I agree it would be easier to not travel with kids but I also think it would be worth it and I think it is the best education for kids to see different cultures, try different food etc. I definitely don't want to have to wait 18 years before I go overseas again!! :-/

I guess I can see why some people would rather not travel too far whilst pregnant or with young kids but to be honest it doesn't bother me, OH's job requires a lot of travel so it will always feature heavily in our lives!

We've been abroad to:
Australia (DD1 6 months)
Morocco (12 months)
Dubai (19 months with me 29 wks pregnant)
France (2.5yrs & DD2 8months)
South Africa (3.5yrs & 22 months)

The hardest was probably going to South Africa but only because it was overnight and both DD2 and myself were poorly with very bad colds. Coming back was fine.

The only thing I said to my husband is that I would rather not do long haul flights between 'crawling' (9months ish?!) and 'able to sit and watch TV for a while' (18mths/2yrs)!! He initially wanted to do some business in Oz when DD1 was around a year and I said no way, we brought it forward to when she was 6 months and she was great.

I was living in Egypt when I got pregnant and came back to Canada alone at 4 months pregnant, just off bedrest, awful nausea and all that good stuff and it was fine really. I wouldn't recommend first trimester for visiting all sorts of places. The fatigue, nausea, etc makes it harder to enjoy it, and the diferent food in other countries makes the nausea worse (that was my expericence in Egypt... I was throwing up multiple times a day, unable to keep anything down and I didn't throw up once after getting back to my home food!)

Travelling with kids.. My husband went to Egypt with our 2 year old daughter alone (8h flight followed by a 4h flight) and survived just fine! He went again when she was 4 and we went altogether the in 2014. Both of us with a 7 year old and 2 year old. I came back alone with my 7 year old and he came back later with our 2 year old. Really it wasn't a problem.

The biggest problem is financial for us. It takes a much bigger budget to go overseas as 4 than as 2, just for the flight... Adaptations have to be made to trips too, to make them child-friendly. We can feel the limits to our freedom when we are taking care of children vs being two adults out and about, but it's also so much fun to do things with the kids, show them the world, discover thigns through their eyes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->