Treating eczema

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
Morning! (posting here as the most traffic.. :flower: )

Logan (4 years old) gets dry red skin in the bends of his arms and legs. It flares up when the weather gets cold and damp. I get it too and usually just leave it alone and it goes in the end. Unfortunately he tends to scratch it and now its quite red and not going away. Ive used a gentle moisturiser as I find if its not dry its less itchy. Its not worked so far. Ive tried getting a Drs appointment but I would have to wait a week and the ones on the day go in minutes. I have some unopened hydrocortisone 1% cream at home already, can I use this? (It says only use if advised by a Dr if under 10 years). As its only 1% its probably what would be prescribed anyway if we went to the Dr.

Thanks!
:flower:

They probably would prescribe that anyway, it's what they've always prescribed us when Jacob's gets bad. We've also used something called doublebase which seems to help , think you can just get it from boots and the oilatum stuff for the bath is pretty good!

Yeah if it's getting infected they'll probably prescribe it anyway along with Doublebase cream. Lucas has had pretty much every steroid under the sun so far (none of them work longer than a few days for him :dohh:)
I'd still try to get a doc appt though, or even just take him down the walk-in centre.

DS had eczema when he was younger and the best things we found were Oilatum in his bath and E45 cream rubbed on. There is an anti-itching E45 which is good too. The doctor prescribed Diprobase and that was good to put on at night. He also gave him Hidroquaterzone but said to use it as a last resort (although DS's eczema wasn't very bad). Hope he gets relief soon :)

DS had eczema when he was younger and the best things we found were Oilatum in his bath and E45 cream rubbed on. There is an anti-itching E45 which is good too. The doctor prescribed Diprobase and that was good to put on at night. He also gave him Hidroquaterzone but said to use it as a last resort (although DS's eczema wasn't very bad). Hope he gets relief soon :)

Ah right, so hydrocorstisone as last resort? hmmmm, well, Ive tried E45 and Aveeno, and now some sensitive moisturiser (which I use on Eric too and it works for him on his usual bad baby skin). If the Dr didnt sound keen for your LO to use the cream I think I will take LO to the Drs just to make sure I should use it. My sister has eczema and uses Diprobase, as well as Oilatum bath stuff, used to work for her so maybe the Dr will suggest that.
My OH is off work tomorrow, think I will ask him to phone first thing for an appointment, surgery opens at 8.30am which is when Im leaving for school with Logan and I tried to call on the way to school and there were no appointments after school available (called only 10 mins after they opened!). Crazy! :dohh:

Oilatum & Mustela stelatopia range for eczema. I use them for me & Omar. Even medicated creams don't work properly, he had an awful flare during summer, he only thing that worked was Mustela , hydrocortisone used to work after applying it but it didn't keep it under control & it's not advised to use it for over a week

Also, would recommend reducing dairy intake until it clears up a little...I always find it makes things worse! Hope he feels better soon x

My eldest has very mild eczema and we use coconut oil which usually clears it up, or diprobase if it's particularly bad x

Ah right, so hydrocorstisone as last resort? hmmmm, well, Ive tried E45 and Aveeno, and now some sensitive moisturiser (which I use on Eric too and it works for him on his usual bad baby skin). If the Dr didnt sound keen for your LO to use the cream I think I will take LO to the Drs just to make sure I should use it. My sister has eczema and uses Diprobase, as well as Oilatum bath stuff, used to work for her so maybe the Dr will suggest that.
My OH is off work tomorrow, think I will ask him to phone first thing for an appointment, surgery opens at 8.30am which is when Im leaving for school with Logan and I tried to call on the way to school and there were no appointments after school available (called only 10 mins after they opened!). Crazy! :dohh:

Yeah, although that might have been because his eczema wasn't very bad, it never got to the infected/bleeding stage you know x

We are consultant led for Sebastién's eczema.

He has diprobase about 4 times a day (even if not flared) and then hydrocortisone and eumavate (much stronger) when flared up.

We alsp have some pure silk underclothes for him at bed time on prescription and have been advised to keep him cool, freeze and wash his soft toys regularly andonoy bath him about twice a week.

It's a ballache but the regime works. He flares now only generally when he's under the weather.

Jacob has eczema. When he has a flare up, I find that the Hydrocortizone cream is rubbish. I use Palmer's Bottom Butter on the red patches. It usually clears it up within a day or two.

Thanks for the advice! We went to the doctors yesterday, Logan was given hydrocortisone cream 1% with fucidic acid as an antibiotic as the skin is broken due to scratching. Twice a day for a week, then E45 after. Eric was given Diprobase yesterday too when I got him weighed as his neck is dry from sicking up a lot. Might use it on Logan too when his eczema has calmed down a bit. X

We use coconut oil, and we cut out dairy. Exzema is usually caused by irritation inside the body coming out through the skin x

We use oilatum cream and coconut oil. Tbh I think the coconut oil works better

I don't rate e45. Doesn't seem to help me, Alex or my Dad who's got it really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->