Trick or treaters....?

I had honestly never heard of so many people disliking Halloween until I joined BnB! It was definitely way more "done up" when I was young- the candy was better, more houses were decorated (or people went crazier with the decorations), and it seemed to go on later at night.

Now, really kids are mostly done trick-or-treating by 8:30 & they don't get half the candy I remember getting, lol. But it's a lot of fun to dress up and get candy for the kids.

Personally, Halloween is my birthday & favourite holiday. I'll be decorating my house, giving out tons of candy (when teenagers dare knock on doors they either get turned away or get one piece of candy if they put an effort into getting dressed up etc)... I'm going to a haunted house before the 31st & a 'scream park' on the 20th. TBH I would be happy if every month was like October, it's everything I love & enjoy lol.

Here all the teenagers go out and create mayhem on the 30th, aka "Devil's Night"... egging houses, TPing trees etc, smashing jack-o-lanterns, and worse.. but I think that's even become less popular in recent years, it was a big thing to do when I was 12ish, but I think the police have a pretty obvious presence around here around Halloween so it discourages kids from getting up to very much :flower:

But if you only knock on doors of houses that have pumpkins then how is it scrounging?!Some of my best childhood memories are of Halloween celebrations, I think it's sad that so many people hate it. I guess it depends on the area you're in :shrug:

Yes definitely depends on the area, just my area mostly it is definitely scrounging, ie I have had groups of teenagers asking for money in a threatening and intimidating kind of manner

Fair enough if people decorate their homes with pumpkins etc to let people know they are welcome to knock. \it just bothers me when they knock on all the doors or persist on knocking a dozen times even when you ignore the door :flower:

We don't let the kids out trick or treating, we let them get dressed up and do pumpkins and have decorations and sweets though. This year we're having a few people round for a bit of a party :D

I had honestly never heard of so many people disliking Halloween until I joined BnB! It was definitely way more "done up" when I was young- the candy was better, more houses were decorated (or people went crazier with the decorations), and it seemed to go on later at night.

Now, really kids are mostly done trick-or-treating by 8:30 & they don't get half the candy I remember getting, lol. But it's a lot of fun to dress up and get candy for the kids.

Personally, Halloween is my birthday & favourite holiday. I'll be decorating my house, giving out tons of candy (when teenagers dare knock on doors they either get turned away or get one piece of candy if they put an effort into getting dressed up etc)... I'm going to a haunted house before the 31st & a 'scream park' on the 20th. TBH I would be happy if every month was like October, it's everything I love & enjoy lol.

I know! Throughout my entire childhood I don't think I knew one kid that didn't go trick or treating... If my parents didn't allow me my temper tantrum would probably still be going on! lol
It sounds a lot different than it is here, where it's all about fun and you kinda knew who was giving out candy and who wasn't... There were only 1 or 2 on each street and they were probably either old or dead so it wasn't even worth your while to check because time was a tickin'!
I'm even taking my 6 month old for the first time this year and I'm aware they know we'll be eating the candy lol ...we're only going to people's houses that we know though so it looks like we're visiting and not blatantly using our baby to beg for candy :rofl:

We never get many, i leave the lights off and that does the trick.
:)

xx

I love Halloween! It's a thing in our house, we decorate the outside of the house so trick or treaters know they are welcome, I would only take mine to houses that are decorated too! There are loads of kids round here so I hope it will be fun this year :)

we never had ANY trick or treaters at our old place :( we lived there 5yrs! Not many people bother round here.

We have moved now and going to decorate so hoping we get some!

If the trick or treaters were actually nice kids and not threatening teenagers i would prob like trick or treating more.
Halloween in generally i love its the teenagers going out threatening and causing malicious vandalism that bothers me!

we get stickers from the police posted through about 2-3 weeks before halloween (so any day now) that you can stick on doors, windows etc which basically say go away or police will be called. lol
xx

No one really puts in any effort at halloween either. People just buy a costume at tesco lol! only so many witches one can bear to look at!

I dont answer the door tbh. I dont mind the dressing up and will do it for my kids as its fun but i would never ever ever entertain taking them or letting them go trick or treating. I think its the completely wrong message to give in this day and age. I remember going in to peoples houses and accepting food from complete strangers...i remember going into a house and felt relieved to get out. Its fine to go to those you know but otherwise..no way. My older kids were never allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->