Tristan's Birth Story

TattooedMom2B

Reaction score
I posted this in third trimester without thinking, just because I was so used to posting there. Oops :blush:

I can't say I had a typical labour and delivery, but it's over now and I'm glad I have my little squirmy bundle of cuteness :baby:

Last Tuesday (Nov.1) I woke up at 7:30am with a really bad pain in my stomach, and by the time I sat on the toilet I knew something was different about it. I started getting them every 20-30 minutes over the next few hours, each one getting slightly more noticeable and spreading to my back which I'd never felt before.

By the time that evening rolled around I was having contractions every 15 minutes but the pain was so bad I decided to go to the hospital and get checked. By the time I got my exam it turned out I'd only dilated to 1 1/2 cm so they gave me a sleeping pill (I refused morphine at the time) and sent me home. Well, after taking said sleeping pills I was still in huge pain and couldn't sleep, so by 10pm I was back at the hospital begging for morphine Even after morphine, gravol and tylenol, the pain continued though and I didn't sleep at all that first night.

Wednesday rolled around and the pains just got worse and were about 10 minutes apart so back I went to the hospital. Finally they decided to admit me. About 2pm or so my doctor showed up and decided to break my waters..that was a scary moment, and I had about 5 strangers in the room staring at my crotch while it was being done which made it worse. After they broke them, they started me on Oxytocin which made the contractions feel ten times worse. I thought I was seriously going to die..the baby was back-to-back which gave me intense back labor. It felt like someone was stabbing me over and over, and a few times I contemplated pulling out my IV and running out of the hospital (not that it would help much). Eventually I leapt out of the hospital bed and ran to the bathroom where I had the most painful pee of my life, and by the time I got out of the bathroom I knew something was wrong. Before I knew it I was power puking from the pain I felt so bad that the nurses had to see my hurl so I kept apologizing. :blush:

Finally the anesthesiologist showed up and became my new personal hero..epidurals are a godsend! For the first time in two days I could relax and didn't have to feel anything, although the bad part was my legs turned into lead and I couldn't move them anymore. I managed to get a few hours rest as they tried to increase my Oxytocin over the next few hrs. After I'd reached max dose by 3am, my doctor came in to check me and found I'd only gotten to 4cm and they FINALLY decided to give me a c-section for 'failure to progress'. I can't believe that I laboured for two days and didn't even get into 'active labor', even after all that pain.

By 5:30am I was getting wheeled into the OR, so thankful that everything was about to be over but terrified about having surgery. They gave me another dose in my epidural and another ten people saw me naked (modesty has gone right out the window now that I've been through this! lol). The section was so scary, feeling all the tugging and pulling and hearing the sounds but not feeling any pain. It was an absolutely terrifying experience knowing what they were doing, until all of a sudden I heard the sound of a suction machine and then my baby cried for the first time. He came out around the drape with his eyes wide open and looked right at his daddy, and they wanted me to hold him but I was shaking so bad from the drugs and the adrenalin I couldn't do it so they had to lay him on my chest. I couldn't believe that tiny person had come out of me..I was a parent! Never in my life had I ever planned on having children, but the instant I laid eyes on that little boy it was love at first sight.

Tristan is now a week old, and is the most perfectly sweet baby I could have ever hoped for. Though he didn't sleep for almost the entire first two days he was alive, he's settling down now. Being a parent is a lot of work, but it's the best job I ever had :flower:

https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/RH0NDA/Emoticons/Words/BAC7zblink_elbaby10HL1.gif

The moment a child is born,
The mother is also born.
She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never.
A mother is something absolutely new.
:kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"