Trospium chloride for threatened miscarriage?

Teafor2

Reaction score
This morning I went to the er with some bleeding at 5 weeks and 6 days. Luckily everything was okay and we were able to see a heartbeat on the monitor.

The er doctor prescribed me 5 mg of Trospium chloride 3x a day today and tomorrow and then if I have cramping in the future I should take a tablet. I’m also supposed to take off work for the next 2 weeks and take it easy.

Has anyone ever been prescribed this or heard of it being prescribed? I couldn’t find anything online other than one older medical article that I couldn’t access. Generally it’s used to treat an overactive bladder and is a category c drug. I’m not having any cramping so I’m feeling reluctant to take it if I don’t need to.

I did a 70 km bike ride yesterday in the mountains and I think that’s where the bleeding came from so I’m wondering if rest will be enough.

Hey Tea, I've never heard of that drug before. I am always hesitant to take anything that isn't proven safe in pregnancy personally. I think take his recommendation for rest seriously and hopefully that will be enough to keep things safe and sound. But you also have to think of the risk/benefits. If the drug is sketchy but without it, you'll miscarry... I would take the drug! I really hope taking it easy will be enough. Such a scary time in the first few weeks especially!

@Reiko_ctu Thanks! I have decided to follow the advice from the pharmacist which was to take it for a day or two since I had bleeding and then only take it if I have cramping. I’ve had cramping on and off this whole pregnancy and none of it has coincided with my bleeding, so I’ll only take it if I really start cramping badly. In the meantime I’m limiting my activity to light housework and short walks once a day. Hopefully at my 8 week scan I’ll get the go ahead to do a bit more.

Do what you gotta do to keep that baby bean snug and growing! Really praying everything goes well from now on xx

I am sorry to hear about the bleeding. I hope that it stops soon and that you feel better soon. Cramping is totally normal in early pregnancy. The majority of pregnant women that I know have cramping in the early days. However if the cramping is severe, you are in a lot of pain, more than what is normal period cramps, and it’s accompanied with bleeding than that could be signs of a miscarriage. I also had bleeding and spotting in all of my pregnancies and they still continued on with a healthy baby/babies, (i have a set of twins). The most common medication that I have heard of being prescribed is progesterone to stop miscarriage. I am on it right now due to having an IVF cycle along with estrogen. They have vaginal pills or an oil injection for the progesterone. You should make an appointment with an OBGYN and get another opinion if you aren't comfortable with what the DR has prescribed. Progesterone supports the pregnancy and stops you from getting your period. I have never heard of that medication either. Did you try researching it on google to get more info? You should also rest and take it easy in the mean time! I hope that everything turns out okay and the bleeding stops. Big hugs to you! Good luck hun!

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about the bleeding. I hope that it stops soon and that you feel better soon. Cramping is totally normal in early pregnancy. The majority of pregnant women that I know have cramping in the early days. However if the cramping is severe, you are in a lot of pain, more than what is normal period cramps, and it’s accompanied with bleeding than that could be signs of a miscarriage. I also had bleeding and spotting in all of my pregnancies and they still continued on with a healthy baby/babies, (i have a set of twins). The most common medication that I have heard of being prescribed is progesterone to stop miscarriage. I am on it right now due to having an IVF cycle along with estrogen. They have vaginal pills or an oil injection for the progesterone. You should make an appointment with an OBGYN and get another opinion if you aren't comfortable with what the DR has prescribed. Progesterone supports the pregnancy and stops you from getting your period. I have never heard of that medication either. Did you try researching it on google to get more info? You should also rest and take it easy in the mean time! I hope that everything turns out okay and the bleeding stops. Big hugs to you! Good luck hun!
Thanks for the reply! My bleeding has completely stopped now and my pregnancy symptoms have ramped up so I think it’s okay. I’m actually already on progesterone. I’ve been doing vaginal suppositories since 3 days after ovulation because I have a history of early pregnancy loss.

Thanks for the reply! My bleeding has completely stopped now and my pregnancy symptoms have ramped up so I think it’s okay. I’m actually already on progesterone. I’ve been doing vaginal suppositories since 3 days after ovulation because I have a history of early pregnancy loss.

Oh good! I am so glad that the bleeding has stopped! I hope that this is the last of it! In the mean time just try to relax and take it easy! I hope that you have a H&H 9 months!! XOXO

Oh gosh I really hope the bleeding stops completely hon.
I've never heard of that drug b4.

The baby I lost at 10+4 weeks I had bleeding at 6 weeks. I was told threatening miscarriage but wasn't given anything. I was just told to rest. But at the time I was training to be a hairdresser so my job involved me being on my feet all day long.
Definitely make sure u rest hon.

I really hope and pray everything will be ok.

I always hate the first trimester so much. Mind u the 2nd trimester hasn't been easy for me either. I had a red bleed at 14+5 weeks which was so scary.
I had a bleed at 6 weeks to but seeing blood at almost 15 weeks was so fimrightening.

My bleeding was down to a cervical erosion, apparently very Comon in pregnancy.

I've never bled in pregnancy b4 and If i did it was because it was a miscarriage. So when I had bleeding at 6 and 14+5 weeks I thought the worst but everything turned out OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->