trying to be converted to cloth

GossipGirly

1 DD (2) 1DS (1) and PG
Reaction score
but its all so confusing :wacko:so much to learn its so overwelming. Trying to understand all the info on threads/net but I just dont seem to be getting it or getting were to start.

We have a fair few disposibles in already but want to try and use cloth maybe just at home at first.

Maybe have a look and see of your council does a trial scheme? This is how I learnt what I was after.

What is your main motivation for using cloth? The cheapest are the prefolds, shaped nappies and Terry towelling type nappies, this is usually a nappy that then needs a waterproof wrap over the top.

Then you also have more modern nappy nappies which are pocket nappies, all in ones which are more like disposables to put on. These usually cost more but you can get some great deals.

Also some people prefer slimline, and there's other things so maybe if you could let us know what your looking for and we can maybe point you in the right direction?

Other than this site I found the cheeks and cherries website had clear, concise information x

Iv checked, they dont...

Main reasons is obv they are better for environment but also better for baby's bottom and no nasty chemicals in them ect. Also the fact they are cost effective is a plus :)

I like the look of the ones shaped like disposibles not the ones you have to fold and fasten with a pin, I think they will be a bit faffy for me. I dont understand all this insert stuff,, I like the sound of just putting them through the wash and straight in the dryer.

Il keep looking thanks see if I can take it in a bit more x

Ok if you get all in one nappies you don't need anything else, it will just tell you what material it is for different absorbancy.

Microfibre are the ones that dry the quickest usually, but is a man made synthetic material which isn't everyones cup of tea. Then you usually get fleece nappies and also wool. Wool breathes well, fleece is usual very soft and keeps dry so passes wet through the material rather than it getting soaking next to the skin.

Ou can also get bamboo which is good if you have a big wee'er!

The good thing about pocket nappies is they go on like a disposible but they have a pocket inside the nappy to put inserts in. Again these come in different materials. But you can interchange them and double them up for night time use etc. Also you can take the insert out when the nappies are drying so they dry quicker than AIO.

Maybe buy a couple of each to start with and see what you get on with? You can get them preloved on here so you haven't spent a fortune if they don't work out for you and also you can resell them on!

You can also chose between poppers and applix fastening. Poppers usually last longer and as baby gets older they can't pull them off, but sometimes can be a funny fit if your LO is between poppers. Applix can offer a better fit especially in the early days.

ok thanks so much for ur help, will have a look and keep my eye out for some preloved x

theres a link in the top of the forum here to the cloth sales board hun,

i will warn you there are loads of pretty ones that become addictive

No problem hun! I found on the cheeks and cherries website you could such by type so if you put in pocket/AIO it will show ou what makes there are and see what you fact and keep an eye out on here lol.

I find if I put a wanted out people usually PM me with the nappy! Xx

I think its so confusing as there are so many different makes x

there are alot of different makes and all of them work differently for different people

Just don't buy too many of one type until you're sure they'll fit your baby. I made that mistake with one type.

I'd second the Cheeks and Cherries site. Also can check out the Nappy Lady, as other people rate her site.

There are also places which offer trial packs - Little Pants (who's also a member on here) does one, just as an example.

If you're interested in AIOs, then something like Itti Bitti D'Lish AIO might be a good one to start with. They are sized, rather than birth-to-potty, but tend to have a high resale value so you can sell the ones you have to raise money for the next size up!

Bumgenius nappies are also good they do sized ones (s,m.l) and also btp(birth to potty) ones however the birth to potty will alwasy be a bit bulkier than the fitted sizes :)

thanks girls, little pants has pm'd me and I will reply tomorrow but YAWN been out for dinner with oh and so tired need sleep first x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->