Trying to get LO to sleep in his cot - 6mths old - your opinions pls!

Flower

Reaction score
Hey all,

Jensen goes to bed around 7pm ish, and then will normally wake/stir at anywhere between 9pm-11ish - and we'll give him his bottle, I normally feed him in bed and then cuddle him back to sleep, and he either sleeps in my arms or next to me in our bed. Got into this routine as I was exhausted and it was easier at the time.

Now OH wants to get him sleeping on his own, so last night I slept in a different room. Jensen woke up nearly every hour, despite him not being hungry. OH did feed him tho, when he should've (currently every 3-4 hours - he is quite a hungry boy and we've started him on solids about a month ago). This went on all night - each time Jensen crying from 10-20 mins. Everytime OH tried to comfort him, he wouldnt' stop so he picked him up and cuddled him to re-assure him, Jensen promptly nuzzled up and fell asleep on him. OH then put him back in his cot straight away - but he woke crying again.

OH obv. didn't get any sleep. And neither did I, as I just lay there listening to him getting all upset (thinking in my head, all he wants is a mummy cuddle - and how mean we were being).

Jensens voice is now hoarse today from all that crying (he hardly ever cries normally).

Do you think we are being mean? I know I am maybe cuddling him too much at night - but he is my first and in my mind, I like him sleeping with me. OH obv. doesn't.

Do you think this is too much crying? OH is gonna keep on doing this til Jensen learns to sleep on his own - not sure I can stand it tho! :cry:

me and DH didnt agree on this one either, and i am still sleeping with my LO. i understand where they are coming from, they miss us and a baby should sleep in his own bed at some point. my baby was just not ready at 5 months when i tried to get him into his own crib and didnt respond to crying it out, so i stopped. i wouldnt go about it the way you guys did personally, i think he needs to see you, so you should go in.

I think you're doing a good thing in the long run in getting Jensen to sleep on his own.I've been told that after about a week babies get used to it and will settle in their own beds.As long as your Oh isnt leaving him for too long crying then its fine,I think anyway.
I wish my Oh would let us do the whole CIO thing,my little miss is still in with us at 8 months :(
It will get better hon :hugs: xx

me and DH didnt agree on this one either, and i am still sleeping with my LO. i understand where they are coming from, they miss us and a baby should sleep in his own bed at some point. my baby was just not ready at 5 months when i tried to get him into his own crib and didnt respond to crying it out, so i stopped. i wouldnt go about it the way you guys did personally, i think he needs to see you, so you should go in.

I do agree that maybe Jensen would settle better if he could see his mum but if Jensen can see that his mum is upset,I dont think thats going to help the situation at all xx

Well done, I think now that you have started you should see it through, I dont see the CIO method as mean, it is hard and it does break your heart but it will be worth it in the long run. The first night I done it with Dec I was stood outside his nursery door crying along with him, but by the 3rd/4th night he was going to bed alot easier. You are doing great hun, good luck xx

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Cupcake, I know what you're saying - I think this is going to lead to a big argument/dissagreement with OH over this, if I stop :cry:

But then I can't stand to see Jensen upset, when all he wants is a cuddle! :cry:

Also do you think 20 mins every hour or so is too much?

As long as its not 20 minutes continuous crying I would say thats ok.As long as its like 5 minutes crying,your OH comforts Jensen,10 minutes crying,your OH comforts him,5 minutes crying then Jensen goes to sleep then I think thats fine
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->