TTC #2 with FET while still breastfeeding?

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Following this thread. My son is 10 months and I'd ideally like him to self wean as well but we are thinking of doing a FET sometime this fall or winter. We only have one frozen embryo so I only get one chance to continue breastfeeding before starting over with a fresh IVF cycle. We haven't even met with our RE yet, but I'm going to insist on being able to continue to breastfeed. Isn't there such a thing as a natural frozen cycle?

Yup gingmg there is, I have only done medicated but with natural you have regular blood tests starting from about day 10 to look for the surge in hormones and then 5 days after that, FET (depending on what day the embryo was frozen of course). I didn't do them last time due to wanting to know dates for work etc. but next time that won't be an issue, so thanks for reminding me!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Following this thread. My son is 10 months and I'd ideally like him to self wean as well but we are thinking of doing a FET sometime this fall or winter. We only have one frozen embryo so I only get one chance to continue breastfeeding before starting over with a fresh IVF cycle. We haven't even met with our RE yet, but I'm going to insist on being able to continue to breastfeed. Isn't there such a thing as a natural frozen cycle?

Hi Hun! I don't know why RE's insist on stopping breastfeeding, it's so strange. I talked with mine before we started and said that I will not be stopping and he had no problem with it. He did say that my milk may dry up but that was the only concern. I didn't do a natural FET because my period never returned, but I'm only taking estrace and PIO injections and I checked with both my OBGYN and my Pediatrician and was told those were fine when breastfeeding.

So far, I'm 6 weeks along and we just had our first scan today. We saw the beautiful little bean and heartbeat and baby was measuring right on track. I'm also still nursing my 14 month old and there is still plenty of milk as of now. If that changes, we will continue to power though because I do know that the milk returns and until my boy is ready to wean, we will keep on going!

Wow, congrats!!! I would have LOVED to be in your position but my doc said absolutely no IVF while I'm bfing... so I waited. I weaned DD at 21 months--she never fully self-weaned but she didn't really mind stopping the last feed so I think she was ready. But if you're able to keep bfing while preggers, go for it! I've just heard it might start hurting eventually... :(
As soon as I weaned I called up the clinic to do an FET. Just had egg transfer today! Age was also an issue for me because I'm 38, but I also didn't want to force the weaning... anyway, congrats again!!

Wow, congrats!!! I would have LOVED to be in your position but my doc said absolutely no IVF while I'm bfing... so I waited. I weaned DD at 21 months--she never fully self-weaned but she didn't really mind stopping the last feed so I think she was ready. But if you're able to keep bfing while preggers, go for it! I've just heard it might start hurting eventually... :(
As soon as I weaned I called up the clinic to do an FET. Just had egg transfer today! Age was also an issue for me because I'm 38, but I also didn't want to force the weaning... anyway, congrats again!!

All the best! Let us know the outcome xx:flower:

It's so strange how different doctors have different rules. I understand not breastfeeding while doing a fresh IVF cycle due to all the drugs, but an FET? I'm only on estrogen and progesterone. Anyway, I'm 37 myself so we didn't want to wait too long either! My nipples have been a little sore here and there but nothing unmanageable. I'm more worried about my supply drying up, but I guess we will see!

Congrats on being PUPO and keep us updated! :thumbup:

Does milk always dry up in pregnancy or is it different for everyone?

That's a good question!
Also, couldn't we take fenugreek to counteract the effects of estrogen on milk supply when doing an FET?

It's just a matter of finding the right balance... estrogen dries up milk but builds up lining...

I think it's different for each person, I would love to be able to continue to BF this baby whilst going through the FET in the effort to get bubba 2!

I'm not sure. I think it depends on each individual woman. I'm 7 weeks, 3 days and I still have a great supply even while taking estrogen and progesterone. I hope it continues but I have heard stories of milk drying up around 20 weeks and returning around 30 weeks. Who knows?

1babydreamer - I was browsing through some of the threads here and came across yours. I remember our LOs being born on the same day (and both overdue!). I just wanted to say congrats to you!! :happydance:

DH and I were originally thinking of doing our next FET in about a year from now but are seriously talking about pushing that up to later this year or this coming January.

Hello mamas! Does anyone have any experience with TTC with FET while still breastfeeding? My miracle baby boy was conceived from our third IVF attempt and it was a FET. He is currently 13 months and our breastfeeding relationship is still going strong with no signs of stopping. I don't wish to wean him before he is ready but as time is an issue, I am 37 and hubby is 40, we would like to start trying for baby number two.

My period has not yet returned and baby boy still nurses at night. My RE has ok'ed it and so has my OBGY since we are doing an FET with just estrace and progesterone, no stims, but I am nervous to use our precious frozen embies if there's a chance they will be wasted! :nope:

Help!! :wacko:
What was your prescribed estrogen dosages? My RE insists on having me wean and I refuse... Im supposed to start bcp in my next period, which should be in a week or two. Im gonna have to lie to the doctor and hope that he doesnt catch me doing it. My plan is to:
-switch the estrogen based birth control pill that the doctor prescribes for the minipill
- do the estrogen and progesterone parts as prescribed by the doctor (already cleared it with pediatrician)
- skip medrol and antibiotics altogether (Ive read some articles and case studies online saying that its not really proven to help)

Wanted to get input from you guys...

Getting closer to moving forward with our one chance at a FET before having go start over with a fresh IVF cycle. I don't want to wean my son from breastfeeding.

Bumping this thread up again. I am still nursing my almost 2 year old and we have an appointment in a couple of weeks to talk about moving forward with our FET. My clinic has a strict 'no breastfeeding during any treatment' policy so I have lied and said I was done nursing so that we can proceed. I don't advocate lying to doctors but I have done my research and I know that it is safe and since the doctors don't place the same value on breastfeeding that I do, I am comfortable with this decision. My doctor actually told me that the reason they have this policy is because prolactin levels remain elevated during lactation and in some women an elevated prolactin level can inhibit implantation, which in turn can effect their success ratings as a clinic. Say what????????? No. I'm not interested in their success rates. I'm interested in doing what feels right for my son in the process of trying to conceive baby #2.

So I lied. And as it turns out, my hormones levels are all normal so if this FET doesn't take, it isn't because of an elevated prolactin level. Of coarse I will probably blame myself anyway if it doesn't take, but I'm trying to remind myself that there is no guarantee in IVF. I transferred two embryos on our fresh cycle, and I don't have twins. I clearly wasn't breastfeeding then so I just have to remember that. Of coarse I want to give this embryo every chance possible and I don't want to do anything that might decrease my chances but plenty of women get pregnant nursing their toddlers so as long as it's a healthy embryo, why couldn't I? If it doesn't take and we have to start over with a fresh cycle, well, I will figure that out if and when we get there.

Anyone else still nursing and moving forward with a FET?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->