TTC - Positive tests but AF shows up but is late :(

Shedevil18

Reaction score
This has happened twice to me in the past 3 months. I have gotten a positive test but then AF shows her nasty ol face but is late.

I have been told these are called chemical pregnancies. What am I doing wrong that I can't stay pregnant? Should I be doing something different?

I have been taking folic acid for the past 6 months, lost some weight etc.

I don't know what to do

It's heartbreaking. This is the only thing that I want, a little one to call my own. We get the BFP and get so excited and then it happens again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So sorry to hear about this.

Chemical pregnancies are where the egg is fertilized and begins to divide. It implants enough to start emitting hcg, which is the hormone pregnancy tests look for (and therefore why you get a positive pregnancy test) but for some reason either doesn't implant properly or doesn't continue to divide properly and so you get your period.

Chemical pregnancies are very common: I think the statistic is something like 70% of fertilized eggs aren't viable pregnancies. If you didn't test before your period was due, then you'd likely never know (you'd just think your period was a few days late or maybe a bit heavier than normal). It's highly unlikely to be anything you've done or not done: it's just one of those things. Even if you do everything right and are both incredibly healthy, the odds of getting pregnant in any cycle are only 20% (and this decreases the older you get). It sucks but it's normal.

On the positive side, it shows that you're ovulating and your tubes aren't blocked (since the egg is getting down them) and the egg is being fertilized. Those are great signs :)

In your position, I'd stop testing before your period is due. Once you've missed a period and got a positive test, the odds of it sticking are much higher. If you keep testing before your period is due, you risk getting your hopes dashed again.

If you still haven't got a sticky BFP after maybe 6 months then maybe go see someone and mention that you've been having lots of chemical pregnancies. But it's probably totally normal, just really upsetting.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I read that chemical pregnancies happen more than people ever realized. Due to medical science and the EARLY tests they have come out with over the years it has shed light on how often this happens. It is sad I know. It happened to me last summer. And I've been researching ever since, its hard not to when we want this so bad. Hang in there, you will get your sticky bean! God bless!

Thanks guys :) It's just so hard not to test when you know its something you want sooooo bad!

Everyone tells ya "don't stress about it, it will happen" it's so hard not to think about it when that's the only thing on my mind and the only thing I want right now.

I'm 29 and have no kids so this is my first... i'm hoping it happens this month :)

Do you happen to chart hun and know how long your luteal phase is? I had many chemicals and it turns out I had low progesterone and a short luteal phase- neither of which I would have realized if I hadn't charted. I'm unsure if this is an issue for you but it is one of the primary causes for early pregnancy loss as progesterone is needed to sustain a pregnancy. I used progesterone cream and vitex and finally got a sticky bean due in June. Good luck and I hope you get your answers/solutions soon.

Do you happen to chart hun and know how long your luteal phase is? I had many chemicals and it turns out I had low progesterone and a short luteal phase- neither of which I would have realized if I hadn't charted. I'm unsure if this is an issue for you but it is one of the primary causes for early pregnancy loss as progesterone is needed to sustain a pregnancy. I used progesterone cream and vitex and finally got a sticky bean due in June. Good luck and I hope you get your answers/solutions soon.

Sorry... I am new to this... luteal phase? What is that? And no I don't chart because I don't know how *embarassed* :shy:

I have this problem...

Shedevil lets say a typical cycle is 28 days and the average woman ovulates on day 14 Luteal Phase is the time directly after ovulation to the day of your period. So your luteal would be 14 days.

This used to be me, but in November i had a mc at 8 weeks and my cycle has never been the same. I typically ovulate on day 18 now but my cycle is still 28 days long which means my Luteal phase is only 10 days, sometimes my period arrives on day 27 so then my Luteal phase is only 9 days long.

The egg implants during this time so if your LP is short the lining hasn't built sufficiently and the egg can't get a good enough grip to implant. So the egg may have fertilized (hence the positive pregnancy test) but doesn't implant.

The general conscientious is that the LP needs to be 11-14 days to be a good enough quality for the egg to implant. I usually average 10 days :-( but i have been using progesterone cream and last month ovulation occurred on day 17 so i'm hoping it keeps working and ovulation comes quicker each month

I'm fairly new to all this but i think that's right lol

My cycle is always bang on 28 days, I can tell you to the day when it will come. Except for the last 2 months it was different, I was 5 days late and then last month I was 5 days early.

The first day of my last cycle was March 23rd so I should be Ovulating on or around April 6th.

I have my fingers crossed that this is the month... It's so heart breaking getting the positive and then it not happening...

I wish I could hold out and not test but I just get so excited and just do it lol

Even if your cycle is regular, you could still have an insufficient LP (you could be ovulating on day 20 for example and getting your period on day 28).

From when you expect to ovulate you're ovulating around day 15 which gives you a good LP. Do you know this for sure or is this just a guess?

From what I can tell I am usually pretty consistent with ovulating around day 14-15. I get the dull achy cramps in my lower stomach.

Is it possible to ovulate a few days after AF is finished? This month I had those same types of cramps a few days after AF was done but it didn't last as long as it usually does during that time so I am praying it wasn't that.

We pretty much do it every day so wouldn't that increase my chances of getting pregnant? I'm so new to this I don't even know... my ex couldn't have kids so I never even thought about this stuff

Charting is when you take your temperature with a basal body thermometer each morning before you get out of bed (preferably around the same time). If you scroll through each BnB member's signatures you will see many women with their current charts attached. It is a sure fire way to know exactly what day you ovulate since cramps, cervical mucus, and all other symptoms don't guarantee O actually happened. There is a rise in your temperature once you ovulate and so as Andreabond78 said you can count the days from when you ovulate to when AF comes and know exactly how long your luteal phase is. This is especially helpful on those cycles that run short or long so you don't get false hope or think your out for that matter!

Fertility Friend offers a free app you can enter each day's temps into and all you really need is the thermometer but it has to be the basal type that takes temps to 1/10 a degree. Charting can answer many questions about when to test, if AF is late or did you ovulate late (latter more likely), and if you are pregnant before actually testing (raised bbt can be an indicator of pregnancy).

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->