TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

hello ladies,
hoping for some advice from those who did tandem nursing. Did you like it? Was it worth it? Would you have done it differently in hind sight? I've planning to tandem nurse if that's what LO1 wants but people keep telling me it will cause so much friction/rivalry between her and LO2. Would love to hear some stories! Thanks.

I tandem feed my boys, and have done so since my youngest came home the NICU. I LOVE it, and it is well worth it. I wouldn't have done it any differently. There's NO rivalry between them (they each get one boob :haha:). :)

I've been tandem feeding for six weeks now, and I have mixed feelings about it. My toddler gets really jealous when I feed the baby but I don't really like feeding them together. It does kind of weird me out--I guess that is the aversion though its not so bad as "aversion" suggests. Also it's just awkward, especially because my boobs aren't all that big and its hard to get the toddler in a position that doesn't stretch them into an uncomfortable position. I do like that I'm still nursing my toddler, especially since its about the only way to still get my cuddles in. i wish he understood about taking turns better. And he was very useful in dealing with engorgement in the beginning and when I started to develop mastitis. I'm hoping it will get better though. When I do nurse them together, he is very sweet to his little brother, patting his head, though I have to talk a lot about not poking his eyes.

Can I join you? I'm breastfeeding my 19 month old son and I found out yesterday that I'm pregnant.

Hi ladies!
I was on here a while ago TTC my nearly 4 month old little boy :) anyway, I'm breastfeeding, but we aren't bothering with contraception. Hoping we catch a wee eggy once i start ovulating again :)
I breastfed DD until I was 7months pregnant, so know my supply held up last time, (she was 25months old when she self weaned) do you know if my supply would be likely to do the same again this time?

Hello again,I would like to ask a question.

Is it possible to have supply problems so soon? my son doesn't feed as much as he used to and he gets frustrated during his night feeds. Do you think he's weaning beacause he can't find enough milk?

Hi ladies.
I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and still feeding my 13 month old who feeds every 2-3 hours day and night.
I really hoped to make it to at least 2 years old before she weaned but I'm really worried about supply issues, taste changes and weaning. So far, it seems to be ok, but it is there anything I can do to make sure my supply is ok?
And how likely is it that she'll wean herself? (Ican never find a reliable answer)

I don't know if there is anything you can do about supply, it's sort of natural for the milk to dry up I think. We certainly experienced that though she kept nursing even though there was nothing there. She cut down significantly, going days without, and I think if I encouraged it, we could have weaned entirely. Now I think colostrum is in and she is suddenly nursing much more.

Congrats wishing well! We are still tandem nursing - my youngest is 11 months and my oldest has literally just turned 3. Whilst pregnant my supply did alter, but my oldest continued to nurse, I dont know enough about supplements etc but I do know that i kept calm about the possibility of problems and decided to deal with them as they arose and I do believe this is one of the reasons we are still nursing today. The biggest problem I had was breastfeeding aversion - sheer stubborness got me through that as i was determined that my oldest would not wean due to pregnancy!! lol x

Hi ladies.
I'm currently 5 weeks pregnant and still feeding my 13 month old who feeds every 2-3 hours day and night.
I really hoped to make it to at least 2 years old before she weaned but I'm really worried about supply issues, taste changes and weaning. So far, it seems to be ok, but it is there anything I can do to make sure my supply is ok?
And how likely is it that she'll wean herself? (Ican never find a reliable answer)

Just found out I am pregnant too! I have no clue how far along yet. (Maybe 3wks, maybe 3 months!) I'm concerned about this too. :hugs:

So I don't want to start nursing my son again when ok comes. We stopped around 4/5 months pregnant due to basically no supply and he was 9 months. He never asked for it. Anyway, my new lo will be here when Coen is 13 months old. Will he see me nursing and be jealous? He isn't an overly attached child or very clingy or jealous.

Hi ladies! I'm really after some advice and hoping for some positive stories :)

We had our first cycle ttc this month (3rd pp cycle) I used opks as the previous 2 cycles have not been regular length and I o'd on CD25. Unfortunately AF started just 9 days later :( So I understand I have a short luteal phase due to breastfeeding. Can I take steps to fix this while continuing to breastfeed? I have read ladies on here before talking about a few things - mainly vitamin B6 and vitex I think. Do I need to see a doctor before taking any of these? Has anyone had success with them lengthening luteal phase before? Are they safe for breastfeeding baby?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Hi ladies.

Just found out I am pregnant too! I have no clue how far along yet. (Maybe 3wks, maybe 3 months!) I'm concerned about this too. :hugs:

My milk did disappear, but then my daughter wasn't a frequent nurser. That didn't stop her from nursing though, we dry nursed for a long time. It never bothered me or hurt me and neither did it upset her or make her want to stop.

I now have colostrum and she seems to be quite enjoying that! (Although it is a bit of a disaster with cloth nappies, haha).

I wouldn't stress it too much. Sophie is pretty dependent on 'milkies' to calm down before sleep if she's had a busy day or overtired and there's no way she'd give up the closeness!

Despite my son being young and still nursing 6-7 times a day my milk dried up pretty fast. I had to supplement because he didn't use a cup well yet and he wasn't getting near enough (went down to 3 wet diapers a day) once that started it was a nightmare. He only got a bottle at bedtime after we nursed at first but soon he wouldn't nurse at all that time of the day. He knew where the bottle was and he looked for it. But my son was so king that he was more depends t on nursing for food than comfort.

We had our first cycle ttc this month (3rd pp cycle) I used opks as the previous 2 cycles have not been regular length and I o'd on CD25. Unfortunately AF started just 9 days later :( So I understand I have a short luteal phase due to breastfeeding. Can I take steps to fix this while continuing to breastfeed? I have read ladies on here before talking about a few things - mainly vitamin B6 and vitex I think. Do I need to see a doctor before taking any of these? Has anyone had success with them lengthening luteal phase before? Are they safe for breastfeeding baby?

I had the same problem. I took b6 and vitex for one cycle and I got pregnant on that cycle, after 7 months of trying. :)
Didn't see a doctor and yep it's safe for breastfeeding.

So here we go! I saw my GP today who told me my baby wont grow if I'm still nursing my toddler.... :growlmad: That I need to stop IMMEDIATELY! Ugh- YEA! She's clearly never nursed a toddler!!! :haha:

So here we go! I saw my GP today who told me my baby wont grow if I'm still nursing my toddler.... :growlmad: That I need to stop IMMEDIATELY! Ugh- YEA! She's clearly never nursed a toddler!!! :haha:

:haha: She should tell that to my baby born at 10lb 5oz.

I'd be tempted to make a complaint though and suggest she gets some training. She could spout her ill informed advice to people who aren't as clued up as you.

Congratulations by the way!

I had the same problem. I took b6 and vitex for one cycle and I got pregnant on that cycle, after 7 months of trying. :)

Thanks Wishing_well... How much B6 did you take? I have done a little reading on vitex and seems the jury's out on whether it is safe to take while breastfeeding so I think I might leave that one for now :)

Thanks Wishing_well... How much B6 did you take? I have done a little reading on vitex and seems the jury's out on whether it is safe to take while breastfeeding so I think I might leave that one for now :)

I took 100mg of b6 and 1000mg (i think) of vitex. I did loads of research about it and actually found numerous sources that said it is sometimes used as a lactation aid and is therefore good for milk supply. I had no problems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->