TTC/Pregnancy while Breastfeeding and Tandem Nursing: Information and Support

NICE Lotus!! I agree with Bunny, no reason to keep testing unless you just want to see a darker line, that progression is great. That one is DARK.

Hey ladies! :flower: I hope it's okay if I follow along.

My LO is 27 months old and we nurse 3x/day (self night weaned at 19 months old) . At 21 months PP I got 7+ days of EWCM. About a week after it stopped, I had about 3 days of spotting/very light bleeding that I guess was a period. I didn't do OPKs or temp so I'm not sure if I actually ovulated or my body was just trying.

Now 6 months later I've been at another 7+ days of EWCM. I have been using OPKs this week but never got an actual positive although one was very dark at one point. If I had to guess I would say I ovulated yesterday as I had a lot of cramping for a while, but I did get more EWCM today. I just took an OPK but there was barely a 2nd line at all. Maybe I didn't ovulate or still haven't ovulated?

I just wish my cycles would come back for good so I could actually have more than 1-2x year chance at getting pregnant. Only nursing 3x day (wake up, before nap, before bed) but bedtime is rather late since DH and I have non-traditional work hours. I hope the bedtime nursing session being late isn't what is keeping my cycles away.

Hey mamas! I thought I posted here last week but I think maybe I started but never actually posted lol. My
monkey is 34 months and still nursing lots. I got my period back at 12 months pp but it's still not regular and I skip months here and there.. I went back to work in September and haven't had a period since August (stress + nursing?) I thought it would be more regular since he wasn't nursing from 8am to 5:30pm (for the first time in ever!) but it seems to have the opposite effect :( anyone with a similar experience? Am I even ovulating with no period? Lots of cm but not the ovulating type (but I've never tracked this before... My first babe was a surprise...) thanks!

Hi ladies! Just got my :bfp: yesterday after 7 months TTC! So excited and scared at the same time. DS is now 3 and not showing ant sign of wanting to stop bf.. No worries there for us, but have decided to start 'don't offer/don't refuse' now as there are days he only wants it to at bed time.
When did you notice any changes in your milk production? So far nothing.. Although the day before getting our bfp, D's did say my milk tasted yucky... Though it didn't stop him. :haha:

Congratulations!

I've heard that the older the nursling is when you get pregnant, the less likely they ate to self wean during the pregnancy, I guess because they can understand that the change in milk is temporary and still realise the benefits. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's worth keeping in mind! DD was a little younger than your DS when I got pregnant, but was still feeding a lot. I didn't notice much change in supply or pain until 2nd trimester. Since then she's gradually reduced feeds herself. She moved out of our bed voluntarily a few months ago, and is now having just a quick bedtime feed (though there's not much milk even for that). She says when the baby comes, they'll share the milk, do I suspect she'll want to feed more. I'll try to keep to just the bedtime feed, but we'll see! I'll go with the flow!

. Congrats canadabear!

I didn't notice much change in milk until tri2 either. Some seem to get a big reduction from early on though. I don't really have any milk anymore. LO still feeds for comfort but not every day. I think she will pick up again when I have fresh milk again though, if she hasn't stopped before then.

Congratulations Canadabear!

My last pregnancy (which unfortunately didn't end well) I didn't notice too much of a drop right away. But by 12-14 weeks there was only about a swallow or two each time he nursed. I had pain right from the start, before my bfp.

This pregnancy (which is hopefully still OK :( ) I am 8+3 now and my milk is dropping faster. I had pain from before my bfp this time too. Also, I've had some aversion this time. I was really sick yesterday and barely drank/ate anything and last night there was no milk. I'm trying really hard today to drink as much as I can stomach and hopefully my milk will come back. :cry:

Thanks ladies!
I am most worried about possible aversion. I kind of like the idea of tandem but worry it could cause jealousy? Though have read it can help with bonding of babe with older children? Thoughts?

I had a MC in June and my milk supply dropped off about 20%, and it never recovered. When I got pregnant this time, my supply didn't drop as fast (I figured because it was already "down" due to MC?) anyway, my pumping output slowing dwindled to nothing, but DS seems to be getting probably at least 2/3 of the milk he was getting before. He nurses the same, but I hear less eager gulping and I think some is comfort nursing.

I'm just now entering the 2nd tri, so we'll see if it drops any more.

Hope you are feeling better soon too_scared.

I had really strong aversion and I admit it was awful but it has settled a little now. It made me very on edge during nursing which made LO on edge too. That plus the milk disapearing made LO quitefustrated and contrary during feeds. I thought we might need to stop for a while but things have settled now. We basicly only feed now when we are both in a good mood and have some quiet time to share which means we skip some days, which doesn't seem to bother her. I thought this might lead to weaning but the bigger the gap between the more intent she seems when she does feed. I usually offer her feeds at good times but if I don't eventually she will ask and get quite insistent. She doesn't tend to get fustrated or play up during feeds like she was and my adversion has improved. I'm getting a little more colostrum through now which helps. I'm thinking when the new baby arrives along with a new supply of milk she will be thrilled and renew her interest, but we will see. I'm thinking its bound to cause a little jealousy early on but hopefully will settle soon. I think some jealousy is hard to avoid wether you tandem nurse or not and BFing the baby but not the toddler could even make it worse.

Hellooooo! Just wanted to drop in and say hi, I'm currently nursing my 28month old and about 5 weeks pregnant with #2 :) I got my period back three weeks after he was born but had the implant at 6 weeks pp and had it removed in June and were very loosely ttc July/August then decided ntnp would be better from October and got pregnant almost instantly! I tested positive on 19/11 (my birthday) after feeling funky for a few days but not expecting to see much. :)

Well today mister man said "this bubba has no milk?!" But then just happily nuzzled in and kept sucking. :haha: I found it way too cute but wonder if its a sign of things to come?

I am now officially tandem nursing! DD2 is 4 days old. DD1 (3.5 yrs) had been down to a quick bedtime feed only for several months, and has been keen to keep this going. The first night after DD2 was born, I was in hospital so DD2 missed her feed. The first night home she let her dad put her to bed as she knew I wasn't up to it. Since then, though, she has wanted me to put her to bed, and has asked for milk again. She's still just having a quick feed, and was intrigued by how different my milk was yesterday. She says it was cold before and now it's warm. *shrug* She's quite happy with it, anyway! I'm pleased DD1 isn't trying to feed like a newborn, anyway! DD2 is feeding brilliantly and lost <2% on day 3!

I am currently 2 months pp. I am wondering when you ladies think it is safe to TTC? I should mention my baby was born premature as well at 27+6. I am currently EBF and BF.

I am now officially tandem nursing! DD2 is 4 days old. DD1 (3.5 yrs) had been down to a quick bedtime feed only for several months, and has been keen to keep this going. The first night after DD2 was born, I was in hospital so DD2 missed her feed. The first night home she let her dad put her to bed as she knew I wasn't up to it. Since then, though, she has wanted me to put her to bed, and has asked for milk again. She's still just having a quick feed, and was intrigued by how different my milk was yesterday. She says it was cold before and now it's warm. *shrug* She's quite happy with it, anyway! I'm pleased DD1 isn't trying to feed like a newborn, anyway! DD2 is feeding brilliantly and lost <2% on day 3!

Congrats! It sounds like everything is going smoothly for you guys!

I am currently 2 months pp. I am wondering when you ladies think it is safe to TTC? I should mention my baby was born premature as well at 27+6. I am currently EBF and BF.

I would say it depends on both what you mean by 'safe' and what your breastfeeding goals are. There's no way to predict how your supply will fare, so if there's an age you definitely want to make it to with your LO receiving breastmilk, I would say to wait until that age. Mine dried up well within the first trimester and I really regret not waiting until DS1 turned 2 before TTC for that reason.
As for 'safe' in medical conditions, I would talk to a doctor you trust, because that's going to depend on a lot in your situation that you might not be comfortable sharing here and that we're not qualified to assess, including why your first was premature. I will say that I am extraordinarily healthy, mine were 2 years apart, and I still feel like my body wasn't 'ready' for a second pregnancy. But that's different for everyone.

As far as they can tell there was no known reason for why she was premature. All the tests they gave were all negative on both me and her. No infections, no preclampsia, no drug or alcohol abuse. For now, I would say it was just a fluke. I talked to my OB about it and they said 6-9 months but I looked it up online and it seems to be the standard "medical" answer they give to everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->