TTC w/embedded Paragard IUD piece

Lauryn M.

Reaction score
Hello!

I've searched all over the Internet looking for stories similar to mine, and am coming up blank.

In November 2013 I went to my ob/gyn to have my Paragard (copper) IUD removed, and it broke on the way out. A piece (one of the arms of the "T"; I'm not sure, but I think it might have a small copper band around it) is still embedded in me, most likely in my myometrium. My doctor performed a hysteroscopy in hopes of removing the broken piece, but he was unable to find it.

I have been unable to conceive -- with the exception of one miscarriage, in November 2014 (I miscarried at about 5 weeks; no previous pregnancies). I am 36 years old so my age might be the issue, but otherwise my husband and I appear to be healthy. He had his sperm checked and it seems OK; I had an HSG (my right tube seemed slightly less open than the left, but my doctor thinks the technician just didn't pump the fluid through my tubes hard enough). I appear to at least be giving off the right hormones to get monthly positive results on OPKs (although this isn't an indicator of ovulation; I tried temping but get up at radically different times on different days so was worried the results weren't accurate).

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of any other women who have been trying to conceive with a piece of Paragard inside them? My doctor says he doesn't think there is still any copper in me, because it would have shown up when they did the HSG, plus he thinks the IUD piece is not in the uterine cavity... but I'm still worried that maybe my copper levels are elevated. (Copper is what makes the IUD a contraceptive, after all.) I even wonder if copper was somehow related to why I miscarried (although I know miscarriages are *very* common, and it likely would have happened anyway).

I would be thrilled to hear any stories from anyone else, see any links to information about this issue... anything; I'm coming up dry in my search, and my doctor has never had a patient's IUD break like that before (lucky me, right?). Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Thought I would give this a bump, it seems like a good question.

Hope you get your answer friend

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Oh, and just in case I was too wordy in my original post: I am trying so hard to conceive and am mostly just hoping that this dumb ol' broken piece of IUD in me won't cause any problems! I'd love to hear any stories about anyone else who's dealt with this, and I offer my heartfelt to support to any other folks who have this particular issue going on! And to everyone on here trying to conceive, too! :)

Have you sought a second opinion? I'd want to be 100% positive that there is nothing further which can be done for this copper piece....if it is there.

I did find this:

https://iud-divas.livejournal.com/3399684.html

Thank you *so much* for taking the time to share this info with me! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! :)

Hi there,

I'm in the same situation as you, and was wondering if you have any updates? I had my IUD removed in September, but one of the arms had broken off....so I then went in for a hysteroscopy/D&C, and unfortunately the doctor wasn't able to remove it. She said it was quite embedded and at an odd angle down by the cervix. She refuses to do a more invasive surgery to have it removed because of the location it's in, she's afraid it would do too much damage to my uterus. I want to start trying to have kids soon, but I'm terrified that keeping the piece in my uterus will impact my ability to get pregnant. Unfortunately, it seems I've been running into the same issue that you were, in not being able to find any stories from people who still want to have kids but had to keep the IUD fragment in their uterus. I'm feeling pretty alone in this, with no good resources on what to expect. I hope this finds you well!

Hi there,

Has anyone had any progress TTC? I have same issue.

Hello!

I've searched all over the Internet looking for stories similar to mine, and am coming up blank.

In November 2013 I went to my ob/gyn to have my Paragard (copper) IUD removed, and it broke on the way out. A piece (one of the arms of the "T"; I'm not sure, but I think it might have a small copper band around it) is still embedded in me, most likely in my myometrium. My doctor performed a hysteroscopy in hopes of removing the broken piece, but he was unable to find it.

I have been unable to conceive -- with the exception of one miscarriage, in November 2014 (I miscarried at about 5 weeks; no previous pregnancies). I am 36 years old so my age might be the issue, but otherwise my husband and I appear to be healthy. He had his sperm checked and it seems OK; I had an HSG (my right tube seemed slightly less open than the left, but my doctor thinks the technician just didn't pump the fluid through my tubes hard enough). I appear to at least be giving off the right hormones to get monthly positive results on OPKs (although this isn't an indicator of ovulation; I tried temping but get up at radically different times on different days so was worried the results weren't accurate).

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of any other women who have been trying to conceive with a piece of Paragard inside them? My doctor says he doesn't think there is still any copper in me, because it would have shown up when they did the HSG, plus he thinks the IUD piece is not in the uterine cavity... but I'm still worried that maybe my copper levels are elevated. (Copper is what makes the IUD a contraceptive, after all.) I even wonder if copper was somehow related to why I miscarried (although I know miscarriages are *very* common, and it likely would have happened anyway).

I would be thrilled to hear any stories from anyone else, see any links to information about this issue... anything; I'm coming up dry in my search, and my doctor has never had a patient's IUD break like that before (lucky me, right?). Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Hi there,

I'm in the same situation as you, and was wondering if you have any updates? I had my IUD removed in September, but one of the arms had broken off....so I then went in for a hysteroscopy/D&C, and unfortunately the doctor wasn't able to remove it. She said it was quite embedded and at an odd angle down by the cervix. She refuses to do a more invasive surgery to have it removed because of the location it's in, she's afraid it would do too much damage to my uterus. I want to start trying to have kids soon, but I'm terrified that keeping the piece in my uterus will impact my ability to get pregnant. Unfortunately, it seems I've been running into the same issue that you were, in not being able to find any stories from people who still want to have kids but had to keep the IUD fragment in their uterus. I'm feeling pretty alone in this, with no good resources on what to expect. I hope this finds you well![/QUOTE
Has anyone made any progress? Also, has anyone proceeded with the class action lawsuit?

hey. Im not sure if this helps but my mirena IUD was lost inside me and they needed to put me to sleep and go in there and remove it. I just don't understand why they don't do that for you too? surely they can do an Xray or ultrasound to see if its still in there??? why can't they??? makes no logical sense to me.

I hope you get it sorted out, sounds awful xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->