TTC while breastfeeding...Questions!

CloverMama

Reaction score
My LO is turning 1 in October and 2 months ago I stopped taking my pill as DH and I want to try for a sibling for her. However, I have not had AF since she was born, and despite stopping the pills at the end of June I still have not had bleeding. The doctor says its because I'm breastfeeding. DH and I have DTD several times in the past two months, and I am feeling symptoms galore, but whenever I test it still keeps coming up a BFN. Could the fact that I'm still breastfeeding be keeping me from getting pregnant again, or could it be interfering with the tests?
I've had insane mood swings, cramping but no AF for about the last 3 weeks, fatigue that comes and goes, horrid indigestion and gas, bloating... and a few others. Anyone experience this before?

Breastfeeding wouldn't interfere with the tests but it can make getting pregnant more difficult. Af took 12 months to come back when I was bfing dd1 and I got pregnant on the second cycle and kept bfing her to 12 weeks.

How often are you feeding? If you really want to get pregnant quickly, try cutting back on the feeds and it will hopefully kickstart ovulation.

Breastfeeding wouldn't interfere with the tests but it can make getting pregnant more difficult. Af took 12 months to come back when I was bfing dd1 and I got pregnant on the second cycle and kept bfing her to 12 weeks.

How often are you feeding? If you really want to get pregnant quickly, try cutting back on the feeds and it will hopefully kickstart ovulation.

Thank you! I'm BFing mostly at night still, and two or three times during the day, but not full feedings...mostly for comfort. I'd say she only takes one serious feeding during the day now. We are trying to wean her towards a cup now that she's almost 1, so maybe that will help! Thanks again!

I'm feeding my 19 month old and my periods returned at 11 months but everyone is different. My friend's returned at 6 weeks pp whilst bf and my other friends have just returned now at 19 months pp whilst bf. It is possible to fall pregnant before you get your first period though as you may fall pregnant on first cycle therefore no period so don't give up hope x

I'm still breast feeding by 2 year old.. (25 months). I know its for comfort and I know some people will think I should stop but he is still little to me and if its comforting him I am happy to continue.

This is our fourth cycle trying and I am going to use ovulation tests as Im worried I'm not ovulating.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Looks like my symptoms could go either way then...hm... Since I could have ovulated though, I will test again soon, and if that is inconclusive I may go to the doctor and have a blood test. Thank you for your help ladies!

i got preg symptoms but it was the breastfeeding im on month 19 and just got my first positive ovulation and af my lp was only 7 days so onto cycle 2 fx x

I didn't ovulate or have AF for almost 18 months after my second DS was born. Breastfeeding won't keep you from getting pregnant but it will keep you from ovulating (which is critical to getting pregnant, lol). Even once you begin ovulating again, if you are still breastfeeding your cycles may be longer, irregular, etc. TTC while BFing can be tricky business. Your symptoms may point to pregnancy or they may point to impending AF. Best wishes!

I've just had my bfp this morning while still bf my 19 month old so it is definitely possible :) I did ovulate late though, not sure if that was due to bf or not?? Good luck! X

The symptoms could be from coming off the pill maybe?

It's definitely possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Many women start ovulating and catch that first egg so never have their first postpartum period before getting pregnant again. The hormones released by breastfeeding suppress ovulation.

I'm eager to be pregnant again with our third and final baby, but I don't think it'll happen for a while. After having my son my periods didn't return till I completely stopped breastfeeding him at 13 months. So I'm not expecting then back this time any time soon. My baby girl did get 8 hours sleep straight the other night, so maybe this is enough to kick start ovulation. If mine aren't back by 6 months I'm going to express lots and feed her that and have a 12 hour nursing strike to see if that kick starts things. If that doesn't work I'll try 24 hours and hope it doesn't affect my supply too much. I'm hoping to breastfeed up to a year again, but we also want a small gap between our daughter and our last baby for various reasons.

Good luck!

I've just had my bfp this morning while still bf my 19 month old so it is definitely possible :) I did ovulate late though, not sure if that was due to bf or not?? Good luck! X

Yes, you probably O'ed later than usual bc of BFing. Congratulations on your :BFP: !! I'm so happy for you!

The symptoms could be from coming off the pill maybe?

It's definitely possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding. Many women start ovulating and catch that first egg so never have their first postpartum period before getting pregnant again. The hormones released by breastfeeding suppress ovulation.

I'm eager to be pregnant again with our third and final baby, but I don't think it'll happen for a while. After having my son my periods didn't return till I completely stopped breastfeeding him at 13 months. So I'm not expecting then back this time any time soon. My baby girl did get 8 hours sleep straight the other night, so maybe this is enough to kick start ovulation. If mine aren't back by 6 months I'm going to express lots and feed her that and have a 12 hour nursing strike to see if that kick starts things. If that doesn't work I'll try 24 hours and hope it doesn't affect my supply too much. I'm hoping to breastfeed up to a year again, but we also want a small gap between our daughter and our last baby for various reasons.

Good luck!

I came off the pill at the end of June, should I still be feeling something from that? DD usually sleeps through the night, only nurses once or twice during the day...she really loves her big-girl food, so I feel like the milk production has slowed down...hoping that means I'm ovulating, but who knows. :)

Thanks for all the feedback ladies, its so encouraging! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->