TTC with Depression...

mummyyshearer

Reaction score
Hi, well im currently midway through a cycle and ttc baby number two...ive just been dianosed with Mild Depression. It totally slipped my mind about telling the doctor my position and i have been prescribed Fluoxetine. Ive read the labels etc and it says it can affect development and complications in late pregnancy. It doesnt say much about if pregnant or early stages.. Anyone else been on them and been fine? Im not sure whether to start them or wait til the end of my cycle to start... Im due on either this sunday or next. (Not sure as last period was a week late so treatin this cycle longer than my usual)

This is just from a quick google search, looks like Sertraline would be a better choice:

In children and adolescents fluoxetine is the antidepressant of choice due to tentative evidence favoring its efficacy tolerability.[30][31] In pregnancy fluoxetine's use is advised against, the evidence supporting an increased risk of major foetal malformations resulting from fluoxetine exposure is limited, although the MHRA of the UK has warned prescribers and patients of the potential for fluoxetine exposure in the first trimester (during organogenesis, that is the formation of the foetus' organs) to cause a slight increase in the risk of congenital cardiac malformations in the newborn.[32][33][34] Although an associated between fluoxetine use during the first trimester and an increased risk of minor foetal malformations was been observed in one study.[33] Sertraline is usually the preferred SSRI during pregnancy due to the relatively minimal foetal exposure observed.[35] It is secreted in breast milk and hence it is advised that nursing mothers taking fluoxetine should not breastfeed their children.[5]

If you fall pregnant the docs will want you to stop taking antidepressants (in most cases) both times I have been pregnant they have told me to stop taking them, I tried but could so I ended up taking a small dose as I couldn't cope without them, so ideally you shouldn't take them but if the risk out weighs the benefit they would probably let you. There is no evidence that they will or won't harm the baby. I am currently ttc and taking citalopram, if i fall pregnant I will try and stop taking them x

Hi Hun I'm Ttc baby number two and I've just come off fluoxetine. My dr advised me to come off it when Ttc. He said that if you're really low then you could use it but they evaluate it as the risk to the my is higher than the risk to the baby. However he did say that there are worse medications to be on if you do get pregnant but they def don't recommend you taking it in the first trimester. I feel your pain as I've come off and it's tough trying to keep happy and Ttc too. Hugs x

I was on fluoxetine before ttc. it was a goal of mine to be off of them when I ttced, but my gp said if I needed them, they would just put me on as low a dose as possible while pregnant.

I disagree - most doctors will suggest you stay on the medication, as they are very safe and there is a risk/benefit assessment that it is better for you to stay on it.

If I were you, I would put off TTC until I had my depression under control. The hormones that come along with pregnancy could easily turn mild depression into something worse. It's more important for you to get yourself happy and healthy, and when you are stable then it will be a better time to bring a baby into the mix

does anyone on this thread have experience with amitriptyline and TTC? I'm on a low dose for chronic migraines.

Thanks for all the feedback, ive decided to wait til end of my cycle just to be safe as i may be pregnant so dont want to put any risk. I think i am on a low dosage... Ive never suffered depression before so unsure.... Im on one 20mg fluoxetine capsule a day to take first thing in morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->