TTC & Xanax

Nicole R.

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

My name is Nicole. I am 28 years old with two beautiful boys. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 and with a huge hormonal imbalance, I started experiencing anxiety at a very young age. I had terrible social anxiety, and didn't learn how to deal with it until I was in my 20's. My mom is a RN, with a variety of diseases. She has diabetes, Lupus, and a few other illnesses. Within the last few years, her health has taken a major downfall. She has been on disability and is technically stage 4 kidney failure. I found myself compulsively worrying about her health and worrying about her dying before my kids had a chance to really meet her.. and a handful of other terrible thoughts. My psychiatrist put me on xanax where I have finally been able to deal with her illnesses and her soon to be dialysis plans. I have been working on meditation, deep breathing techniques and yoga. I am currently taking 1.5mg/ day. (.5mg 3x day) I have only been on Xanax for six months. Now, we're TTC #3 and it suddenly dawned on me, that I am on the xanax. I have read some very confusing things online, just wanted to talk to someone who has experience or knows someone that has been in this situation.
I am currently WTT, and looking into a taper plan to get off the xanax so we can TTC #3. I'm not looking forward to the anxiety again, but will definitely sacrafice this for another child.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I will be speaking with my doctor on my next appointment in two weeks. Thanks.

I am prescribed PRN ativan and xanax. I see that you are prescribed it daily, maybe you can talk to your psych about tapering down to PRN. I try to never take my meds because we are TTC, but if I get my period, and up until I ovulate (for the first like 2 weeks of the menstrual cycle) I feel okay about taking one PRN (PRN= as needed) if I have anxiety about something.

If I feel anxious about something after I have ovulated and I don't know for sure if I am pregnant, I just suck it up. Or I may try to take a nap, or have a glass of wine to take off the "edge" of my anxiety.

I wish my doctor would have prescribed it PRN. Instead, he said to take it 3x day "Like a vitamin" I do have panic attacks that I believe he was trying to prevent. I wish I would've taken it PRN vs. 3x day. I found a taper schedule.. I have some hope got myself because I haven't been on it long. Manufacturer of Xanax says you can taper .5mg every 3 days. So I'm going to start with that and if it's too much I'll do .25mg! Once I am tapered off I will switch to prn. That's how my mother is prescribed it as well, I wasn't sure why I was told to take it 3x daily (now I know it's for panic attacks)
I just want to come off of it asap so I can take my clomid & provera. Provera causes anxiety too.. it did the first time I used it in 2010 and I actually went to the ER for a panic attack. Hopefully I'll be completely off in 3-4 weeks.

My mom lost my brother at 34 weeks when I was six years old. When she was okayed to have another (I was 14) she was given Ativan prn in her 2nd and third tri. She rarely took it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->