TTC Year 2 and just needing to vent

PixieQ

TTC #1
Reaction score
Yesterday was one of those crushing days where you get more horrid news than you can really handle in one day.

Some background: DH and I started TTC in early 2011. After trying for a year with no success, we discovered that I had a large fibroid (17cm...the size of a 20 week pregnancy) which needed to be removed and that he had low count/low motility. So I had to go on 6 months of Lupron, shrink the fibroid a little and then have it removed. We were then supposed to be able to do IUI and be good to go.

On a follow-up visit, my OB/GYN recommended some blood tests and an HSG. Day 21 tests showed low progesterone b/c I didn't ovulate that month. Day 3 tests show high estradiol, FSH is normal though. The HSG showed a severely anteverted (tipped forward) uterus and one blocked fallopian tube, with the other one looking more like a crazy straw than a fallopian tube.

I am heartbroken. We don't have the money for IVF and it's not covered by our insurance. I'm 38. I have wanted to be a Mom my whole life, and I thought I was being smart by waiting until I could actually afford to support my children. I have a good job and so does my husband, but we really don't have any savings to speak of. I know that people finance IVF, but I'm reluctant to add to our debt, as we are both still paying off college and grad school expenses in addition to our mortgage and vehicle.

Thanks for listening. This sucks.

So sorry PixieQ. :hugs: I know it must have been devastating to get that news.

Is it possible that your tubes and uterus can be fixed by laparoscopy? A lot of doctors don't like it since IVF has such high success rates, but if you're reluctant to add to your debt a lap may be the next best thing. It's covered under insurance for most people.

Wow, I didn't know that a lap would likely be covered even if you don't have insurance for infertility! I am going to check that out! Thank you so much! You have given me hope.

Yes, a lot of things can be covered under your insurance even if you don't have any coverage for infertility. I believe all plans have to cover treatments relating to the diagnosis of infertility because the underlying cause is usually something that has health implications whether or not a woman is trying to conceive.

My health insurance doesn't provide any coverage for infertility at all, but I was able to get my laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, ultrasounds during my clomid cycle, and dh's SA covered. I think many times REs are able to code many things in such a way that it will be covered, so you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can actually get covered. The only things I wasn't able to get covered were the fertility drugs, and of course IUI or IVF if we decided to go that route.

Good luck!

CaliDreaming, I really appreciate this information. I will be more assertive about asking if certain procedures are covered under my insurance in spite of the fact that infertility treatment is not covered. I appreciate it. Best of luck to you as well.
xo
PixieQ

I got told that my ins. covers fertility testing but not fertility treatment, however I had a lap done as well that my ins paid a portion of...of course I had to pay the deductible, but I think that they consider a lap "testing". I dunno.

I have already called my OB/GYN to see if that is something he would do. I also have a consult with an RE on the 28th so hopefully we will get some more information then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->