Tuition Fee Increases - Discuss!

R

rubixcyoob.

Now first off, this is not a thread to bash the protestors or police for their actions in the slightest, if it turns that way I will ask for it to be locked.

Now ...

As of today the debate was one in favour of raising university tuition fees to an upper limit of £9000 a year from £3000 a year in England and Wales. This will only be repayable once you earn over £21,000 per annum plus a fixed interest rate. Thoughts and opinions please.

I for one am disgusted at this for a few reasons.

Firstly, many students who voted for Lib Dems feel betrayed. One of their main policies to attract students was the one which said tuition fees would not, under any circumstances, be touched. Yet instead of sticking to his guns and remaining loyal to his supporters Clegg sides with Cameron to keep his position of power. Cowardly, sneaky and disgusting to me. What a crock.

Secondly, education, along with the NHS is probably one of the highest funded things through the UK tax payers money. We pay money to ensure our education is kept 'free' (even thought it is paid for through tax payers money). Education is a fundemental part of any developing country, it needs to be accessable to the millions who can attend, if they wish too. By raising these prices, who in gods name could afford to become £36,000 in debt BEFORE they graduate (minus interest rates), plus whatever other student loans they need to take out? Its ridiculous. In our current economic climate there isn't the jobs out there for graduates to be earning the big bucks and paying this off, it is likely they could be stuck in debt forever. Sure this may change if we come out the recession soon, but for those just starting university with these tuition fees, by the time they graduate all the graduates mulling around and those in their 1st - 4th years just now will have filled the limited job vacancies. So if one never earns of £21,000 a year, the loan never gets repayed so the economy is in debt. We are supposed to have education to better ourselves as a nation, not hinder us because everyone is stuck in debt. We are a country trying to fight debt by ensuring more people get into debt, where is the logic?
Also, as a side note to that, since we are no longer putting tax money to education should a portion of our tax be scrapped because it's no longer funding that, I mean, why pay for a country to get out of debt, when it is making those who will go into high earning jobs be in debt possibly forever? Of course the won't do that, we will still be charged ridiculous taxes and now this, sickening!

Thirdly, while £9,000 a year is not a lot compared to some place, it is an exceptional amount of money. I know for a fact that my parents could not afford to spend that money on putting both me and my little sister through university (thankfully I won't be affected). We are considered 'middle class' but we don't have an extra £36,000 lying around for both me and my sister to give to tuition fees. Who in their right mind does really. Considering only the top 1-5% of our nation is actually 'upper class'. That is an extortionate amount of money people need for other things - necessities, raising families etc.

Fourthly, although the changes only affect English and Welsh universities just now and I am 'safe' since I come from Scotland, that will soon change. Yes I may be safe just now, Scotland may be safe just now. But consider this, SAAS and Scottish universities, while they charge students who are not Scottish for use of their facilities, do not charge anywhere near the £9000 mark. In the long run, it is cheaper for English and Welsh students to try and attend a Scottish university. This will see an influx of students into Scotland meaning that Scottish students hoping to avoid the tuition fee rises will have more competition and less chance of achieving a place within a Scottish university. Aside from making it that Scottish students get priority over any other nation - regardless of grades (making universities in Scotland more about country of origin than academia playing an important role in admissions, which would not be advisable and would lower the tone of Scottish graduates as a whole, not to mention the illegalities of it) there is only one probably option for Scottish universities - raise their tuition prices for everyone to they are on a par with English and Welsh universities. They could not simply raise them for English and Welsh students because it would be discrimination and hinder diversity, so it would have to be one flat rate throughout the UK. Even thought education is a devolved matter, the Westminister government have now made it likely that the Scottish government will have to follow suit, reluctantly and without much scope for further option.

Small fifth point. People would argue that the increase in fees is god for our economy as we are no longer subsidising certain things, however, are there no more beneficial cuts that could be made? I mean, take Trident for example. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world many times over. Is that necessary? Surely only enough fire power to destroy the Earth once over is more than enough? A little cut in that spending, not totally disarming the UK but not having excessive amounts wouls save billions.
Welfare. Stricter means testing on every benefit would also save billions and stop any benefit scrounging. Might be hard to enforce, but in the long run it would be more beneficial to our country. Less people scrounging benefits and getting nothing would force them into any form of employment, generating wealth and income into our economy through tax.
Education should not suffer when there is other stuff that can be gone with.

Absolute farce. I voted Lib Dem because one of their main policies was to go against the rise in tuition fees. I will not be voting Lib Dem again.

I was going to go back to Uni next year but I won't be now. I know you only have to pay back your fees once you earn over a certain amount and you only pay back a small percentage at a time etc but I do not want a potential £36k debt over my head in any way, shape or form before I've even graduated. It's a shame because I will need a degree to do what I want to do in my career. I'm hoping a college degree will be good enough or that's my whole life plan gone.

I can't stand Cameron or the Tories. I used to love Nick Clegg and stick up for him. But he's just as bad as the rest of them. Worse even, because he has lied and let down all of his loyal voters by being a complete cowardly arse kisser

I don't know to be honest - I'm kind of sitting on the fence.

Preface by saying - I come from the states and £6000/year is common. Not saying it's right - just - that's how it is.

Here are my thoughts:

I guess I see university as an investment in your earning potential over the course of your life. I think there are many crap degrees being offered and to be honest you shouldn't need a degree to do some of the things that these courses offer. Maybe an increase in tuition will force universities to look at (and cull) some of these non courses - that you should be able to do by gaining an NVQ or a BTEC.

Maybe an increase in fees would deter students who just want to piss about. It does happen. I go to school with one girl who is doing it just because she 'doesn't want to get a job'. Uh. Welcome to the world of being an adult. She's on par for getting a third. What good will that degree be? There may have been another person that would have loved to have her place.

I also don't necessarily think that the government should pay for it. (there are a lot of things that I don't think the government/taxpayers should pay for but that's a whole other story). And I'm tired of this 'I won't be able to go to school because I won't be able to afford it' argument. The fact is, you have to earn over £21,000 to even start paying it back and no one has to come up with extra money up front.

Now the other side....

I think manifestos should be a legally binding contract. If I would have voted Lib Dem (I cannot vote because I am an American) based on their promises to be against tuition fees - I would feel incredibly pissed off. I think it's disgraceful and they've done themselves no favours in the long run (future elections)...

I also think it's shit that it's always the 'middle class' that always gets penalised the most. So after this whole thing, they come out and say, 'Wahey, if you are poor, the govt/uni (can't remember who tbh) will pay for your first and second years. Ok why is this the case? Many people I know who are from 'middle class' backgrounds get no help from their parents due to reasons that parents cannot or won't help. So how is that fair to them? I just think, give to one, give to all - it can't be split like that.

And, if you 'only' start paying it back after you earn £21,000, that's not really that much money, with the cost of living these days. You couldn't buy a house on that much - you'd struggle to rent in really expensive places. Therefore paying that amount back would be a substantial burden to someone earning just over that threshold.

And I know they are different countries...but as part of the UNITED KINGDOM, I do not see how tuition is free in Scotland. I just don't get it. How can you raise them so high in England but keep them free in Scotland? (I know there are different governments, but they are all under HM, so this is just my ignorant American perspective - if someone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it)

Sorry if I seem to contradict myself, it's because I really don't know where I stand on the issue. x

And I know they are different countries...but as part of the UNITED KINGDOM, I do not see how tuition is free in Scotland. I just don't get it. How can you raise them so high in England but keep them free in Scotland? (I know there are different governments, but they are all under HM, so this is just my ignorant American perspective - if someone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it)

When the Union happened in 1707, Scotland retained it's own legal and education system. They have always been separate, even before devolution, and Scotland used to (and still does) have Scottish debates in parliament and requires a separate act of parliament for laws to apply here.

I agree with the increase in tuition fees for quite a few reasons. We are in the middle of a recession and everyone has to take a hit, there is not unlimited money about and I would rather less tax money was spent on +18 education and therefore more could be spent on NHS and under 18 education.

The problem in my eyes is that far too many people go to university these days and a lot of degrees that people do are not worth the paper they are written on. My sister is quite a bit younger than me and has just gone to university, she has gone because she wants to enjoy 3 years and the degree that she is doing will not help or assist her in getting a job, and she is not alone in this. There are also a lot of people who genuinely want to continue studying but are still doing degrees that are not going needed for the work they are going in to. Why, for example, should the tax payer fund someone doing a degree simply for their own personal gain rather than the good of society.

The repayments of the loan are not that steep and the student loan debt does not count as a debt when applying for mortgages etc, if you do not pay off your loan within 30 years then it will be written off anyway.

I think university education should be more elitist, in terms of intellect/usefulness of the degree and not money but I do believe that this is a good way to do it. When people look at whether to go to university they will weigh up the debt with the positives, if your degree is really worth doing you would not mind getting into debt, if you are just going for 'a good time' then you will mind. My degree was essential to my job and so if I was faced with high student fees I would have gone anyway.

I do understand that people are upset at the lib dems, imo they never should have signed the manifesto, however, people need to remember that they are part of a coalition government and not ruling on their own

I voted libdem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbLF9em90Tc

I can't actually think about this too much as it gets me too angry and upset.

I realise people think blaming Nick Clegg is a bit much but it's not. When you vote in a democracy for people who are promising to protect and represent your interests and then go and do the exact opposite then democracy is broken. It's treason against democracy. Bring back public hanging. UUURUGH! I'm so angry!!!!

Increase in tuition fees means total loss of social mobility. The poor will stay poor and the rich will get rich plus the culture of the future will have a loss of artists, musicians, research scientists, historians and other humanities type subjects which don't result in a BIG well paid job at the end of it.

Plus the few working class or lower middle class people who DO choose to go to university may then have issues buying a house because they have debt on their heads. Which is another staple of social mobility.

It will never be undone, there is no promise to go back to how things were. It's done now. It's over. The future is bleak and the ideal of access to higher education FOR ALL is dead. The deficit should be paid by changing laws so that huge companies can't be clever with their taxes. Find another way. We're turning back to dire times and although I can say "well at least we made it out" because I grew up with pretty much no dad in council housing and we've made it to middle classdom and my babies WILL go to university one way or another (unless they have viable alternatives) there are MANY people who will not, who are talented, bright, full or potential but we will lose them as a society.

I agree with the increase in tuition fees for quite a few reasons. We are in the middle of a recession and everyone has to take a hit, there is not unlimited money about and I would rather less tax money was spent on +18 education and therefore more could be spent on NHS and under 18 education.

The problem in my eyes is that far too many people go to university these days and a lot of degrees that people do are not worth the paper they are written on. My sister is quite a bit younger than me and has just gone to university, she has gone because she wants to enjoy 3 years and the degree that she is doing will not help or assist her in getting a job, and she is not alone in this. There are also a lot of people who genuinely want to continue studying but are still doing degrees that are not going needed for the work they are going in to. Why, for example, should the tax payer fund someone doing a degree simply for their own personal gain rather than the good of society.

The repayments of the loan are not that steep and the student loan debt does not count as a debt when applying for mortgages etc, if you do not pay off your loan within 30 years then it will be written off anyway.

I think university education should be more elitist, in terms of intellect/usefulness of the degree and not money but I do believe that this is a good way to do it. When people look at whether to go to university they will weigh up the debt with the positives, if your degree is really worth doing you would not mind getting into debt, if you are just going for 'a good time' then you will mind. My degree was essential to my job and so if I was faced with high student fees I would have gone anyway.

I do understand that people are upset at the lib dems, imo they never should have signed the manifesto, however, people need to remember that they are part of a coalition government and not ruling on their own

I think I actually am more on this side, after thinking about everything. My course is also essential to any job I would want to do and having weighed everything, I still think it would be worth the cost, if I had to pay it. You are right though, some people just piss about and those are the people who will maybe think twice about either going or at least make some sort of effort.

This might sound elitist of me but we actually got an email through from the university office from the final year costume design students. I just don't get why someone would need a degree in costume design? Surely that's an example of a course where you could learn everything you needed at a community college?! And I know jobs are tight, but I have never run across a job advert looking for someone with this degree.

Even though it is a coalition govt tho, I don't care - I still would vote for someone based on promises and with the numbers in parlament abstaining or voting nay, it just shows that many lib dems were fundamentally opposed to it as well.

I agree with the insreases, mostly for the reasons caz81 mentions.

No-one will be in debt 'forever', the debt is written off if not repaid after 30 years.

Why do people think they can't go to university just because their parents aren't rich? Lots of parent believe their children should pay for university themselves, and whilst they may help them out, why would being rich automatically mean funded by Mummy and Daddy.

If people don't think their education is worth the debt and therefore won't bother doing the degree, I have to question how much it was worth it them in the first place. Happy to do it at the taxpayers expense, but no their own?

The jobs for graduates just aren't out there. How can peopel use this as an arguement not to pay their own fees, but for the taxpayer to fund them?

I'm also suprised that people only just seem to be realising that politicians are liars... but that's a whole other thread...

I don't know if I agree with the rise in fees but I do agree that they need to scrap a lot of courses. Like said above a lot of courses would be much more suitable to college courses or even nvq, Btech or an apprenticeship.

What happend to starting at the bottom and working your way up the ladder? A lot of people just expect to go to uni, get a degree and walk into a job at a high level with no experience.

I done an nvq level 2 and 3 in childcare in less than 2 years with my own child to look after while working full time. Then there were girls working under me with degrees in childcare but they didn't have a clue what they were doing. :shrug:

I'm also suprised that people only just seem to be realising that politicians are liars... but that's a whole other thread...

No I've always known politicians are liars, but political parties do represent different ideologies and politicians are motivated for some particular reason. The Lib Dems are selling their soul in the hopes of getting proportional representation but proportional representation is always a danger to local representation. So we're getting screwed now so we can get further screwed later. It is upsetting. Just as many many other people feel.

University should be elitist - not in a financial sense, but in exactly the way caz81 says. You want it, work for it. It is far too easy to go to uni and get a degree in whatever the hell you choose - but because of the come one, come all policy that was adopted until now, degrees have been devalued. Hugely. It used to be that people with a 'good' degree were considered to be special. Now? Everyone and his dog has been to uni and got a degree.

Why do people think that you are 'entitled' to a free higher education?

I also voted LibDem and I have to say, I'm not as angry with Clegg as most seem to be. He is working in a coalition government - he didn't win the election? Therefore he doesn't get to decide how the country is run. It is a coalition.

When I went to uni I wasn't entitled to any help because I owned my own house (which had no equity in it and cost me a fortune to upkeep). But I still put myself through uni. I worked two jobs, I took out loans (with no help from my parents either) and I graduated. Was it hard? Yep. Was it worth it? Totally. Because as well as everything else, it also taught me that if you want something badly enough, you will work your ass off to get it.

No education is 'free'. It is why taxes are paid. It is why English and Welsh students already pay fees. It is why a company pays fees on Scottish students behalf.

Yes people go to uni to take the piss, but in my experience that it the minority. People take the piss in high school and college as well. Should those turn into profitable prganisations just to keep those who are over 16 and entitled to leave out? Only for those who want to succeed. It's the same principal no? If you want to educate yourself bar the acceptable standard where you can stop, do it yourself.
It is too me.

And yes people will be in debt 'forever'. Maybe the ones who take out the loans won't be in debt forever in terms of their human lives, but in terms of their working lives, it will be pushing close to retirment marks depending on when they reach the £21,000 start point and when they can retire. So for all their working life, they are indebted and have to loose their wages to something they won't pay off.
If they don't pay it off, who will? No one. The loan goes unpaid. We as a nation are indebted forever to it.
It's a vicious cycle.

There are other ways of tackling the recession we are in, targetting education is a low blow and is making university elitist for the rich, not the academics.

To me it just seems like the stereotypical American universities now. Grades are of little importance if you have money. If you have money you put your child through it, regardless of where their loyalties lie - party or academia.

Exactly. :flower: The elitism isn't about those who want to work hard for education V those that don't. It's about those who have easy access to money V those that don't.

People who drink too much, smoke too much, eat too much and don't exercise also take the piss when it comes to the NHS but I would be horrified if we decided only those "willing to work" for good health deserved it.

We live in a society, in a community, and we should care about our fellow humans that we share this society with. If you're born into a council house, have no history of higher education in your family, no support or encouragement to go and an expectation to leave school t 16 and start paying your own bills but have talent in any field, then I don't think you should have to work your fingers to the bone, hold down multiple jobs, go against your whole family's expectations to go earn a living just to get to be a historian or an anthropologist so that you can then spend years living in debt when my children, if all goes well will probably get as much help as possible to get through university and probably get their fees paid if OH and I can at all manage it.

I adore my own children and want the best for them but I also care about the children of other people in society especially those who have less access to opportunities as I aspire to live in a society where everyone is granted access to institutions and opportunities and power and wealth in equal amounts as possible. I've paid my taxes and OH pays his and has done for many years and was able to because he was granted a free university education. (And hence pays a higher tax bracket too).

I congratulate those who worked hard for their education but do not think it should be or ever will be the norm. The rich will have access to all avenues which lead to power and wealth and the poor will not.

I agree with the insreases, mostly for the reasons caz81 mentions.

No-one will be in debt 'forever', the debt is written off if not repaid after 30 years.

Why do people think they can't go to university just because their parents aren't rich? Lots of parent believe their children should pay for university themselves, and whilst they may help them out, why would being rich automatically mean funded by Mummy and Daddy.

If people don't think their education is worth the debt and therefore won't bother doing the degree, I have to question how much it was worth it them in the first place. Happy to do it at the taxpayers expense, but no their own?

The jobs for graduates just aren't out there. How can peopel use this as an arguement not to pay their own fees, but for the taxpayer to fund them?

Agreed! I don't live in the UK, so this doesn't affect me, but honestly I think anyone here would be chuffed to only have to pay a maximum of 9000 a year for their university courses.

Our education system is paid for by the government, but only until the end of high school, not onto university. I can't imagine how much that would cost. Some people don't complete their university courses, some do several before they find the one they decide is for them. I wouldn't want my tax going towards people like that. Also when people become qualified, they head off overseas, so they don't even contribute to the economy, so there is no way I'd want the government to fund university education.

I also find it hard to imagine anyone here expecting their parents to pay for their university tuition. That just doesn't happen here. You go and get a student loan, which is interest free and doesn't need to start being paid off until you earn so much.

I abhor what they are doing. :( But I accept it's a complicated situation.

In an ideal world all education will be free, HE for schools leavers, adults, part timers; work-based training; FE colleges; adult education. ALL of it. But we're not in an ideal world. There is unfairness in the current system, particularly for adult and part time learners who for whatever reason might've been unable to follow the 'usual' route as a school leaver. I don't think the way to address that issue is to charge more at uni! If we were to start over I would like to see a variety of educaitonal routes, academic and vocational, in a variety of appropriate settings, freely available and equally valued. One of the issue we have is that a uni degree is valued but vocational courses are not. I don't think percentage targets to uni are useful especially as they don't address the levels of inequality in HE due to family wealth.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people chopping and changing as I don't think it's feasible for every 18 year old so have a magical map of their future to follow and know they will be satisfied with. People change. Circumstances change. There is the odd person who never wants to settle but that's not most people and I don't think everyone should be punished for that.

Bah, this is a rubbish contribution. I'm off work ill and have apparently used up all my debating energy in the student protest thread! :rofl:

I think it's an utter disgrace! I agree that too many young people are getting pointless degrees but those doing that tend to be middle to upper class, the students this will hit are the ones who are already struggling to get an education in order to get them out of the poverty trap! Shrugging off debt is ridiculous, Personally I want to go to college in September but after the increase was passed I won't be able to. I couldn't afford the fees alone not to mind the accomadation and day to day living costs involved. Banks aren't just handing out thousands to students these days, you can't even get into debt because nowhere legal will give you the money in the first place!!

I just don't see how tuition fees increasing (and the consequential debt incurred by students) will help the economic situation in this country? I thought irresponsible lending was what got us into this mess. Totally agree with Redpoppy about the lack of social mobility. Also, someone said that people should just start at the bottom and work their way up rather than go to uni but for many careers such as teaching or nursing that isn't an option.

To me it just seems like the stereotypical American universities now. Grades are of little importance if you have money. If you have money you put your child through it, regardless of where their loyalties lie - party or academia.

That's more or less a bit of a stereotype that you see in movies or TV. It's not really like that in Canada and the US. Yes, tuition fees for places like Harvard are outrageous ($100,000+) but you need the grades to get in too.

The overwhelming majority of US + Canadian students go to cheap community colleges first, paid for by student loans or waitressing - then if we choose to, go on to universities and still waitress.

Can't comment on the UK issue but that's more or less how it is here.

It took me 8 years to finish my degree. A long time, yes, but I paid every penny of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->