• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TVs in children's bedrooms?

Yep, we tend to watch the non-princess ones. Toy Story, Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh etc. :flower:

Not that the princess ones are bad mind you, I just don't overly like them and never pushed Claire to watch them. She hated princesses for quite awhile which was NEVER my intention. :shrug: Crazy how quick they pick up on your likes/dislikes. School is starting to influence her though and she's finally okay with them.

They are little sponges though. Never once did I say no to watching them (we have a few of them like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid) and she'd refuse to watch them.

I don't mind Beauty and the Beast, i like that Belles very into her books and she looks past outward beauty?
But like you i'm not a big Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty fan.

Reeeeally haven't thought about them in that much detail lol, but saying that we watch ToyStory, Cars, planes etc, we don't watch princessy ones and I haven't seen them since I was little, although DS likes Tangled.

Reeeeally haven't thought about them in that much detail lol, but saying that we watch ToyStory, Cars, planes etc, we don't watch princessy ones and I haven't seen them since I was little, although DS likes Tangled.

I've had Tangeled on repeat since before Christmas :haha: i quite like it though! x

None in bed room in my house either. Not even wifi as that dosnt work in the bedrooms which is annoying.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is watching TV in bed for an hour before I go to sleep! I understand how having something from 'awake time' in your bedroom could keep you awake (and I can't go to sleep when there's mess on the floor, washing unsorted etc), but for me the TV in the bedroom isn't part of the day time/awake time, it's part of my winding down before sleep time, the same as a book.

The kids are only 4 and 2, so too young for a TV in their room yet but I wouldn't rule it out for later. I don't think I'd want them flicking through channels but I don't see any problem with watching a DVD before bed at the weekends. I think, mostly, it's about how you as an individual respond to TV - if you keep yourself awake to hear every last word it might not be a good idea, but if you're the type who can drift off with it on and not worry about missing stuff, I don't see the harm (if you use a sleep-timer!).

my kid is only 18 months and waaaay too young but I doubt I would allow it when she is older....maybe if she's 16-17 but definitely not before. My parents were very strict with tv generally and I never had a tv in my posession until I moved out after school. To this day I don't care for tv much (prob because I was never too exposed to it)

In my personal experience and based on my research, watching tv does disturb sleep and so we've never had one in our bedroom. I also hear it can intefere with couple's sex life and we can def not have that :haha:

Oh and on the topic of Disney, LOVE it! I love the old school princess ones and the new more dimentional ones. Toy Story 3 is my all time fave!

I LOVE Disney and honestly can't wait until LO is interested in watching movies.

I mostly like the pre-Pixar Disney films: Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, Dumbo, 101 Dalmations, Fox and the Hound, Bambi... I could go on...

Feeling like the worst mother ever now but, Evelyn has a tv in her room, sometimes she watches a film before bed or in the afternoon when she wants a break from Ivy. Its not overused and its never affected her sleep. :shrug:

Not at all :) we're exactly the same, we have a tv in both rooms. TBH it isn't often used but DD2 especially will just go off and watch a DVD about once or twice a week a week maybe.
In DD2 and 3's room it isn't hooked up to an Ariel so just DVDs but in DD1s it is.
I think anything in moderation is fine IMO. :)

In an ideal world I'd like him never to have a tv in his room. We don't have one in ours and I find watching tv in the evening can wreck my sleep.

As for Disney, my LO is totally being raised a disney child! I'm a fanatic, I even have shares in Disneyland Paris. He absolutely loves cars, toy story and 101 Dalmatians. We have the books as well though so he actually doesn't watch the films very often as I find he glazes over too much with them.

We have one in our bedroom and I hate it! DH insists on it and always has to have it on before we sleep. I've read in numerous places how couples with a tv in their room have fifty per cent less sex on average than those who don't haha! And also that it is not good for sleeping an sleeping habits. I don't see why DS would need a tv just yet so it will be a no until he's much older

We don't have tv's in our girls rooms, dd1 is 7 and has been asking for one for about a year but we are not getting her one for another few years yet, she's the type that doesn't go to sleep straight away so i want to encourage her to read in bed instead of watching tv as I think she would sit and watch it all night, we don't have a tv in our room but it's more that we don't have room for one I do like watching tv in bed but love reading more lol I did have a tv in my room when I was around 13/14 but if I remember rightly i could only watch DVDs on it

I've read in numerous places how couples with a tv in their room have fifty per cent less sex on average than those who don't haha!

I think we have 50% more sex. I can't tell you how many times we were just laying in bed watching a movie and didn't finish it lol. Now when we're in the mood it's our code phrase.."wanna go watch a movie?" Haha :sex:

I've read in numerous places how couples with a tv in their room have fifty per cent less sex on average than those who don't haha!

I think we have 50% more sex. I can't tell you how many times we were just laying in bed watching a movie and didn't finish it lol. Now when we're in the mood it's our code phrase.."wanna go watch a movie?" Haha :sex:

DH and I have been together since we were teenagers living with our parents so this statement very much related to us lol......!

We all have tv's in our room and one in the kitchen too (ideal for watching a movie whilst ironing ordoing dinner). My kids get to use tv's after homework is done. They also read books and listen to music when they are in the home so they are not always in front of a tv. To be honest they spend a lot if time outdoors with friends so I am happy for them to play computer games or watch tv for an hour or so.

We dont have any in bedrooms anymore :) :) though sometimes I let them watch films on the pad in bed x

My girls share a room and dont have one in there. Tho im not against it...i have one in mine...but id rather them watch a movie on the tab or lil dvd player so i can take it out when sleeping....id worry my eldest would wake in the night and watch tv! Not happenning!

I got a tv in my bedroom when I turned 10 and it was such a novelty. My mum bought me it so I could have peace away from my two younger brothers (although not my sister who I shared a room with). I'll probably do the same with Ollie - when he's a teen he can get one so he can watch a film with his wee pals whenever they stay over.

Re: Disney. I'm a HUGE Disney fan and have most of the special edition DVDs haha. LO also loves them. He's teething so badly atm and literally the only thing that's made him smile over the past few days are watching Brave and Tangled. I think it's the colours and the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->