TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Rhiannon

SAHM to Rhys
Reaction score
I've started this thread for ladies who wish to wean their babies the 'traditional way'.

Traditional weaning, is where the parent/carer spoon feeds their baby, and takes away the responsibility of feeding from the baby until they are a little older and can spoon feed themselves.

We use pureed foods to start, including vegetables and fruits and baby rices and porridges, gradually introducing more food types as the baby gets older e.g. meats, dairy, eggs, fish.

This thread is for support, recipe suggestions, or even if you want to show off your LO being weaned.

It is not a debate thread for those who use other weaning methods.

Thanks ladies xxxxxx

i think the best thing i have done so far is to make up purees in ice cube trays and then put them in freezer bags. that way rhys can have sweede peas carrots and parsnip for his tea lol.

anybody else got any tips or ideas? xx

Hi, thnks very useful thread.

I've found that soft flexible baby spoons with no edges r very easy to use for early starters.

My advise, take it slow & dont force food into ur baby.

Good idea - thanks :)

Will be keeping an eye out for tips! xxx

i do traditional weaning and william has some finger foods too from time to time
his fave is butternut squash which i roast in the oven yum

I've just started with TW. I'm glad you started this thread. First few days involved a lot of spitting out but she's slowly starting to take some. :happydance:

Had a couple of disasters including setting fire to a sieve (forgot it was made of plastic) and some projectile avacado (very messy)

The Tommee Tippee spoons are brilliant, they change colour if the food is to hot and are small and soft.

Great idea, i'm sure i will be posting alot lol!

Does anyone know much about when babies should be eating lumps? Zach is awful with lumps even tiny ones and he has these hipp organic nibbles which he loves but when he bites bits off he gags and is really sick! Is this normal?

Does anyone know much about when babies should be eating lumps? Zach is awful with lumps even tiny ones and he has these hipp organic nibbles which he loves but when he bites bits off he gags and is really sick! Is this normal?

I started at 6.5 mnths (Omar doesnt have teeth yet). I started with overcooked rice with some veggie puree (I kept the puree abit runny). I used a fork to mash the rice, & gave him a small taste at 1st. I also gave him a piece of bread soaked with formula. Now he can chew with no problems.

I started at 6.5 mnths (Omar doesnt have teeth yet). I started with overcooked rice with some veggie puree (I kept the puree abit runny). I used a fork to mash the rice, & gave him a small taste at 1st. I also gave him a piece of bread soaked with formula. Now he can chew with no problems.

Zach has two teeth but no interest in using them lol! I have done a couple of purees but left them with small small bits in them and he really gags! If he even just touches bread it makes him gag which i dont think is normal!

Zach has two teeth but no interest in using them lol! I have done a couple of purees but left them with small small bits in them and he really gags! If he even just touches bread it makes him gag which i dont think is normal!

Omar also gagged when I 1st gave him dry bread & lumpy veggies. Rice is softer (it looks grainy or than lumpy). U can try baked apples, then cut it into soft pieces, or bananas. Try to give him very small pieces at 1st.

Also thick baby cereals might help. xx

My cousins daughter is almost 9 mnths old & still cant eat lumps. Dont worry hun, & dont stress ur self about it.

Omar also gagged when I 1st gave him dry bread & lumpy veggies. Rice is softer (it looks grainy or than lumpy). U can try baked apples, then cut it into soft pieces, or bananas. Try to give him very small pieces at 1st.

Also thick baby cereals might help. xx

My cousins daughter is almost 9 mnths old & still cant eat lumps. Dont worry hun, & dont stress ur self about it.

Yeah i try not to worry i know they will all do it at different times just don't want him having a fear of food or to be fussy like his Dad lol!

Thanks for your replies xxx

Will be interesting to read this thread as we have opted for TW, we arnt quite there yet but he will be 17 weeks tuesday after next.
TBH hes showing all signs of being ready now but I want to at least wait till the 17 weeks to be safe, im hoping this may stop him trying to steal my dinner when hes up on my lap at meal times :)

:wave: great thread idea :flower:

I have made a lot and frozen it in the freezer. Chloe loved butternut squash on its own, she was just over 6 months when I started weaning. She loves the baby porridge too and you can mix it to lots of different textures to suit. I used the Hipp Organix one with peach in, smells lovely!

Great receipe I heard from somene else on here is to freeze some banana then stick it in the blender, its almost like ice cream and its all nautural banana. Good for this warm weather! I haven't fully tried it yet though as my blender has just dies on me :dohh:

(I also give Chloe finger foods too)

Will be interesting to read this thread as we have opted for TW, we arnt quite there yet but he will be 17 weeks tuesday after next.
TBH hes showing all signs of being ready now but I want to at least wait till the 17 weeks to be safe, im hoping this may stop him trying to steal my dinner when hes up on my lap at meal times :)

Connor is one day younger then Brian. We also plan on starting TW at 17 weeks. I have been letting him play with a baby spoon, and putting it into his mouth so he will get used to it. I already bought some rice cereal and highchair.

hehe i bought a highchair but rhys is having none of it at the moment!!

i want to try butternut squash but everytime i look at it in tesco the size of it bothers me!! dont think i have enough ice cube trays for it!!

i was hoping the thread could become a sticky also as BLW is up there so TW should be also.

ive made peas puree today.....forgot to cook the peas before hand though ..for some reason i thought defrosting them was just enough ..shamed!!

xxx

Just wanted to say, even though we're BLW I think this is a great thread idea :thumbup:

I TW my little man when he was a baby 5 years ago but have opted for BLW this time around :baby:

im looking for some sort of gravy to give him with his veg purees. anyone have any ideas what i can use? xx

Yay! great thread idea:thumbup:

I've just started weaning Erin, she started off polishing off a bowl of baby rice for the first couple of breakfasts but had been going off it, then I realised a whole week had passed, and I'd just been giving her baby rice.:dohh:
I guess she's probably bored with it, I know I would be!

Tried to puree some carrot today, but then realised my blender doesn't blend, so off to town tomorrow to get a new one.

No doubt I'll be asking loads of questions once I properly start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->