TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

i love seeing rhys' expressions when he tries something new - its fab :) x

im looking for some sort of gravy to give him with his veg purees. anyone have any ideas what i can use? xx

They may have something in the baby section, i have a babies vegetable stock so they may have something along those lines!

Great thread!

We have been TW for about 6 weeks now and hope some of my experiences can help people!

Firstly, i got the Lindam Baby Blender which is brilliant!! I found that I was having to make enormous quantities of food for them to be pureed enough in the big blender but with the baby blender I can just throw in a banana and a peach for example and its wizzed up in 2 seconds!

I would also highly recommend the Annabel Karmel receipe books! As someone who has not cooked very much in the past, these books are so simple and loads of great ideas!

Sweet potato was a real favourite with my LO in the beginning along with potato and leeks pureed together!

Gravy can be made from vegetable stock cubes, im not sure how exactly but I know its tells you how on the back of the Boots Baby Organic Stock Cubes!

Sorry for ranting on, hope some of this was of use!

ah brill idea!

I've just started weaning Harriet, and am doing 1 'meal' a day of pureed veg about mid-day, which she gobbles down. she doesnt seem to like baby porridge at all so breakfast is a no no at the moment.
spent 2 hours last night cooking and pureeing, got a months worth of food and only spent like £3!!

have got questions tho...
when do you start on 2 meals a day, then 3??

any breakfast ideas? (no wheat...)

and when do they drop any milk for food??

I am useless!! :-s

ah brill idea!

I've just started weaning Harriet, and am doing 1 'meal' a day of pureed veg about mid-day, which she gobbles down. she doesnt seem to like baby porridge at all so breakfast is a no no at the moment.
spent 2 hours last night cooking and pureeing, got a months worth of food and only spent like £3!!

have got questions tho...
when do you start on 2 meals a day, then 3??

any breakfast ideas? (no wheat...)

and when do they drop any milk for food??

I am useless!! :-s

U start gradually u can keep 2-3 wks gap then start intorducing another solid meal (it depends on ur baby). Mine wasnt so keen to have more than 2 before he was 6.5 mnths & he still skips 1 solid meal some days.

As for breakfast u can go for baby porridge (there r lots of options at the babies section which is gluten/wheat free) or fruits purees with/without baby rice. Bananas r good for breakfast.

As for dropping milk feeds, she's not suppose to drop her intake before 6 mnths. She needs at least 28 oz of formula at this stage. Solids should not overtake milk at this early stage as it's more important than solids.

I feel so lazy reading this. In all fairness she only has one every few days. But my poor child gets jars!! LOL

We are doing a crazy wacko mix of everything in all honesty. We use homemade puree's/ baby food jars/ normal food the lot :blush:

Butterbut Squash is a favourite here as well but blooming heck it is a NIGHTMARE to cut and prep and peel the skin and get all the seeds and stringy bits out of it! Took me ages and ended up losing sooooo much of it because I had to use a knife to peel it lol

I reccomend the Annabel Karmel Weaning book as well some of the recipes look scrumptious!

We'll be trying some stage two stuff in the next week because we started weaning at 5 months I don't want him to get too used to eating stage 1 puree's!

Carrot and Parsnip is lovely mixed together as well!:thumbup:

My LO is the same some days he eats two meals others he eats 3 meals but not often!

He also eats toast, has had a sugar free rusk, loves slices of chicken, cheese and tomato toasties, carrot sticks etc!

Rhiannon - you can buy ready made gravy in the baby food aisle. I think its Heinz.

Pink tinks - have you tried porridge mixed with fruit puree? Lola LOVES it, she wolfs it down lol.

Sweetlullaby - do you give LO raw carrot sticks? Or cook them? (Sorry if thats a stupid question!)

And has anyone pureed pasta?? I bought a tomato & basil sauce for babies, gonna mix it with pasta and see what she makes of it!

I like the idea of frozen banana :thumbup: I gave Lola a suck on my chocolate twister ice cream the other day :haha: and she cried when I took it away!!! But obviously she can't have that (especially since she's lactose intolerant - I'm allowed to give tiny bits of dairy to see how she reacts!) So the frozen banana is a great alternative.

Rhiannon - you can buy ready made gravy in the baby food aisle. I think its Heinz.

And has anyone pureed pasta?? I bought a tomato & basil sauce for babies, gonna mix it with pasta and see what she makes of it!

U can cut it into tiny pieces after boiling then add sauce to it. Omar loves pasta with tomato sauce. He chewed it without teeth & was very excited when he was having it :thumbup:

Great thread!! So glad its here :thumbup:

I have been TW since Chloe was 6 months. I decided to TW as I am not the most confident mummy and thought this would work best for me and my partner also I am back at work now and Chloe goes to a child minder, so I think it works best.

She is doing really well, she looooooves her food, will eat anything ....lol!!
I make her purées, usually once a week will make enough for the week. Although now I am working full time I sometimes run out and grab and emergency packet of Plum or Ella's Kitchen!

I get recipes from Annabel Karmel's website. Its really good as the recipes are grouped into ages so I now I am doing it right. This week I made Cod with Butternut Squash.

But she won't feed herself and I am starting to worry she will be on puréed food forever now. HV kept telling me I must give her finger foods which I have been doing but she really has no interest. She will just play with them. And if she does manage to bite a bit off she gags and then starts crying. Otherwise she just seems to get frustrated picking the things up and cries anyway :dohh:

Also she won't feed herself with the spoon. I have tried with pre loaded spoons but she doesn't want them. She just want me to feed her, then she is happy as larry :shrug: She is the same with her sippy cup, will only drink from it if I hold it :shrug:
My friends son who is the same age eats like whole bits of meat, drinks his bottle and sippy cup himself and uses a spoon. I'm starting to worry :cry:

Sorry for the essay girls!! Rhiannon, you a star for making this thread :hugs: Def think it should be made a sticky :thumbup:

But she won't feed herself and I am starting to worry she will be on puréed food forever now. HV kept telling me I must give her finger foods which I have been doing but she really has no interest. She will just play with them. And if she does manage to bite a bit off she gags and then starts crying. Otherwise she just seems to get frustrated picking the things up and cries anyway :dohh:

Also she won't feed herself with the spoon. I have tried with pre loaded spoons but she doesn't want them. She just want me to feed her, then she is happy as larry :shrug: She is the same with her sippy cup, will only drink from it if I hold it :shrug:
My friends son who is the same age eats like whole bits of meat, drinks his bottle and sippy cup himself and uses a spoon. I'm starting to worry :cry:

Sorry for the essay girls!! Rhiannon, you a star for making this thread :hugs: Def think it should be made a sticky :thumbup:

Lazy babies :D mine is the same. He opens his mouth when he sees the spoon, but when I try to give it to him he pulls his hand away or throws the spoon at me & opens his mouth again & starts shouting. No success with fingure food yet. I asked his pediatrician about it, & he assured me that some babies don't like to feed themselves :shrug: My cousin is 2 wks younger than Omar & he feeds himself with a spoon & fingure food with no problems. I was also worried but now I just spoon feed him & give him extra spoon to play with.

Lazy babies :D mine is the same. He opens his mouth when he sees the spoon, but when I try to give it to him he pulls his hand away or throws the spoon at me & opens his mouth again & starts shouting.

Thats exactly what Chloe does!!

Thanks hun. feeling a bit better now knowing I am not the only one x

Cat & nmwb - my nephew was nearly 1 (could be older - can't remember exactly) by the time he was feeding himself! He wouldn't have finger foods at all. My sister just gave him a spoon to hold at mealtimes and he eventually got the hang of it :D I wouldn't worry, they all do things in their own time.

Lola grabs the spoon and puts it in her mouth....but EVERYTHING goes in her mouth, so I don't think its that she wants to feed herself, its just the closest thing to grab! I actually have to distract her with the TV, I feed her the first half of her meal so that I know she's having some of it, and the second half I let her do it herself. She makes a MESS!

Yay great thread! We've just started TW so no questions YET im sure i'll have loads though so Im sooo glad there's somewhere I can post :)

great thread :) what can you give your lo at 4 months old? Is it literally just the baby rice, porridge, and pureed veg? xx

this is a fab thread were starting weaning to at 17 weeks so a few weeks of yet! but will read this thread! x

Great thread! I have decided to TW with a few finger foods here and there - but mainly purees etc. LO is 17 weeks on Tuesday but not showing any interest in food yet and is quite content on his milk so I'll hold off until he starts to show signs of being ready but will definitely watch this thread for any tips when the time comes X

Fab thread hun thank you :flower:

I started TW Oliver at about 19-20 weeks. We did baby rice for just a few days then tried him with porridge and then some pureed sweet potato, pear that sort of thing. I have also used a lot of jars and Ellas Kitchen and Plum pouches too - I think theres a lot of misplaced 'snobbery' almost about using premade baby food but I actually dont see the problem :flower:

Anyway once he hit 6 months the HV suggested I start with finger foods and I was terrified of choking but we love it :happydance: as of Thursday he has had toast, crumpets, fingers of pear, melon, pineappple and apple, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, mashed potato and baby rice cakes! A lot of it just gets sucked in and spat out so I also make sure he has a fromage frais or an Ellas Kitchen or something aswell so I know he has had 'something'. He seems to have come on so well since Thursday it may just be a coincidence but he has been nattering and laughing and just thinks its a thrill to sit in his highchair and try stuff! I'm going to get the annabelk karmel book for a few ideas too as I want us to all be able to eat the same things but I guess the best advice I got was from HV who said not to get worked up with trying complicated recipies just things like mash, pasta and basic sauce, even boiled egg mashed up or baked beans is ok.

Thanks again to the OP for this thread! :hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->