TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

Nmwb - thanks for the pasta tip :thumbup: she ate it chopped into little pieces like you suggested!

Well, I managed to get a Kenwood hand blender today in the debenhams sale, and so made a batch of carrot puree and some parsnip puree.

DH brought Erin into the kitchen to see what I was up to whilst I was doing the carrot one, so we tried her with a bit there and then and she loved it:happydance: She was grabbing the spoon and putting it in her mouth herself, and sucking the puree off. The trouble is she's just learnt how to blow raspberries, and she did this with lovely orange carrot puree in her mouth, DH's got a nice orange pebbledash pattern on his t shirt now:haha:

She's already gone off baby rice on it's own, so DH gave her cow and gate porridge for brekkie, which she polished off too. Seems to be going well at the mo:thumbup:

I'm so jealous of all of you who love weaning. I'm fast starting to hate it. We started TW at 22 weeks, with baby rice and home made purees. He ate some, but wasn't exactly keen. After a few weeks we went out and I gave him a jar, which he wolfed down and seemed to love. He also loves yoghurts and stage 1 fruit pots.

After about 4 weeks we tried a little texture - he wasn't having it, so we waited and tried again. In the meantime we found that he would eat an entire stage 1 jar, but only 1-2 teaspoons of home made puree. We've always worried about LO's formula intake as it hasn't increased since he was 3 months, so we decided it was better to let him have more jars so he ate more.

Since then I keep trying finger food - which get smashed to pieces and rarely go in his mouth. I aso keep trying home made coarser purees, proper food (eg fish, mashed potato and squished peas) and stage 2 jars - all of which he hates.

Now he refuses it before he's even tried it, and the last couple of days he cries as soon as he goes in his highchair. Can anyone offer suggestions - I'm at my wits end with it ](*,)

I bet you are hun its so worrying when you think they aren't getting enough food/milk.

have you tried ellas kitchen stage 2 pouches? they aren't lumpy at all just thicker. We started on the finger food after Oliver refusing to eat and that seems to have sorted him out but I know you've tried that.

If he will only eat stage one jars, fruit and yoghurt then thats something I guess? The ladies who do BLW sometimes say they know their babies aren't actually eating anything at all at that stage?

Have you tried letting him eat somewhere other than his high chair so he doesn't imediately associate it with the game? How about if someone else tries to feed him? When Oliver was refusing food he would eat some if I stood up to feed him instead of sitting opposite I know that sounds insane but maybe worth a go?

Maybe try to make tea time fun? Let him mash finger food all over his tray and have a good laugh about it with him - I think they can sense the frustration?

Hope some of this helps hun xxxx

edit: have you tried having teddies on his tray and pretending they're eating the food?

Now he refuses it before he's even tried it, and the last couple of days he cries as soon as he goes in his highchair. Can anyone offer suggestions - I'm at my wits end with it ](*,)

Omar also refuses to eat fingure food, he throws it on the floor. U can go on giving him stage 1 jars that he likes for his meals, & have him with u at the dinning table when u'r eating & try to fork mash whatever u'r having & give him a tastes if he's in a cheerful mood.

Or u can give him tastes of food when he's playing & in a good mood. Omar hates his highchair & unless we'r all around him sitting around the dinning table he wont sit still. Today he was restless & I used his buggy during lunch.

If he likes plain yoghurt u can try & mix it with cooked mashed rice. mashed potatoes, chicken or any other veggies.

"Right come on, I got my high chair so where's my bowl and spoon? what do you mean still 1 more week???"
"Any chance of a cushion by the way?"

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs062.ash2/36464_444027869368_617079368_5915687_6860761_n.jpg

I

Since then I keep trying finger food - which get smashed to pieces and rarely go in his mouth. I aso keep trying home made coarser purees, proper food (eg fish, mashed potato and squished peas) and stage 2 jars - all of which he hates.

Have you tried (or are comfortable) with giving him soft fruit? I mostly offer purees but give my guy finger food every meal. He LOVES strawberries that I cut in half, he sucks them to a pulp. Same with honeydew melons - but they need to be really ripe so that he can grip them well. Just an idea.

Smokey thats a cute pic, made me laugh that he can only just see over the tray, bless!

More TW pics ladies? I'll add some myself later :D xx

Very cute pic! Here is my addition :D

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/Kitty_fantastic_o/BabyandBump/36740_10150213723045727_776570726_1.jpg

We are planning to start weaning in the next week or two and I'm so happy you have started this thread! My question is: what is the best time of day to give the baby rice at first? I've heard it recommended to give in the evening so she sleeps well (although she sleeps pretty well already), and I've also heard to give in the morning in case it upsets her tummy or something. Which "meal" did you give first? I figured we'll do a week or so of baby rice or possibly oatmeal and then move on to 2 meals - one of rice/oatmeal and one of veggie/fruit, but I don't know what time of day to do these meals. Also, I work 3 days/week, so I'm trying to think what might be easiest for the woman who watches her those days. Thanks!

We are planning to start weaning in the next week or two and I'm so happy you have started this thread! My question is: what is the best time of day to give the baby rice at first? I've heard it recommended to give in the evening so she sleeps well (although she sleeps pretty well already), and I've also heard to give in the morning in case it upsets her tummy or something. Which "meal" did you give first? I figured we'll do a week or so of baby rice or possibly oatmeal and then move on to 2 meals - one of rice/oatmeal and one of veggie/fruit, but I don't know what time of day to do these meals. Also, I work 3 days/week, so I'm trying to think what might be easiest for the woman who watches her those days. Thanks!

I dont think baby rice will help your lo to sleep longer at night, it definately hasnt helped my lo. We started with baby rice in the mornings, then switched that to porridge which he likes better. We give it to himabout an hour after his first bottle, so anywhere between 8.30 and 10, depending on when he naps. We then added a veg puree in for dinner about 4-5pm. hth x

we give rhys baby porridge as its much nicer than the rice (i try everything he eats!!) usually at breakfast time after his first bottle. then either one meal at afternoon or at dinner time. xx

any breakfast ideas? (no wheat...)

and when do they drop any milk for food??

I am useless!! :-s

As for breakfast u can go for baby porridge (there r lots of options at the babies section which is gluten/wheat free) or fruits purees with/without baby rice. Bananas r good for breakfast.

As for dropping milk feeds, she's not suppose to drop her intake before 6 mnths. She needs at least 28 oz of formula at this stage. Solids should not overtake milk at this early stage as it's more important than solids.

Harriet HATES baby porridge full stop, wont have it with anything!!

well no harm in her not getting enough milk, she has like 40oz a day!!

think im gunna have to start making bigger portions - Harriet is finishing hers so fast and im sure she would take more, greedy girl! only problem we have now is still no high chair....!!

Jacob has baby porridge in the mornings and for his dinner. Ive never seen anything like it, he scoffs it down and tries to nick the bowl from us as if to pour it down his own neck lol bless him :)

Here's some pics of Lola enjoying her porridge :D

https://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/suzanne108/CIMG5843.jpg
https://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/suzanne108/CIMG5849.jpg

Erin tried pureed parsnip for lunch today, and I don't think she really knew what to make of it. When you introduce a new flavour is it best to stick at it for a few days in a row, or shall I change to carrot tomorrow, which I know she likes?

lol rhys adores parsnip :) so does mummy though - im kinda gutted when he finishes it all :D x

Erin tried pureed parsnip for lunch today, and I don't think she really knew what to make of it. When you introduce a new flavour is it best to stick at it for a few days in a row, or shall I change to carrot tomorrow, which I know she likes?

I would do carrot & parsnip puree :flower: will get her used to the parsnip flavour but it won't be too overpowering.

Lola loves parsnip, potato and apple puree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->