Twelve Year Old Shoots Intruder.

And I am sating that a 12 year old wouldn't have enough reasonable force for a grown man, the other story wouldn't apply to her giving she is 12 years old and hardly fit for stabbing. Which by the way is how much different from shooting someone? still does them harm. And this is in America where guns are legal. Here there would probably be something said about it. Its people that kill people, guns in the wrong hands. I dont agree with people walking around carrying guns and leaving them about, thats not safe at all,. Any one with a licence has one here. I wont pick apart this girls story as I am glad she is alive and intruder down.

Guns may be legal, but what does US law say about the use of firearms by minors? Is there no legislation to ensure they don't have access to weapons?

Minors may use firearms under the supervision of an adult. This case was an extreme.

To be honest, teaching a child gun safety is better than telling them not to touch without explanation.

I think having guns securely locked away and completely inaccessible to children is better than either of these.

DH has a drill in the shed. No matter how old Madeline is, whether she has used one or not, or knows how to operate it safely, she will still never be able to have to access to this drill while she is a child because it is unsafe for her.

Firearms are different. My dad is a retired police officer and we knew not to touch a gun and if we saw one, we were to tell our parents. I think the harm comes when curiosity gets the better of a child and they think they can play with it. A drill is not the same as a gun, I'm sorry, so that is not a valid comparison. I find it hard to accept that people have such strong opinions about firearms in a country that has banned them. I would rather teach a child the safe way to handle a firearm, than have them get curious. I'm a very strict range instructor. I do not tolerate horseplay on my range.

And I am sating that a 12 year old wouldn't have enough reasonable force for a grown man, the other story wouldn't apply to her giving she is 12 years old and hardly fit for stabbing. Which by the way is how much different from shooting someone? still does them harm. And this is in America where guns are legal. Here there would probably be something said about it. Its people that kill people, guns in the wrong hands. I dont agree with people walking around carrying guns and leaving them about, thats not safe at all,. Any one with a licence has one here. I wont pick apart this girls story as I am glad she is alive and intruder down.

Guns may be legal, but what does US law say about the use of firearms by minors? Is there no legislation to ensure they don't have access to weapons?

Minors may use firearms under the supervision of an adult. This case was an extreme.

To be honest, teaching a child gun safety is better than telling them not to touch without explanation.

I think having guns securely locked away and completely inaccessible to children is better than either of these.

DH has a drill in the shed. No matter how old Madeline is, whether she has used one or not, or knows how to operate it safely, she will still never be able to have to access to this drill while she is a child because it is unsafe for her.

Firearms are different. My dad is a retired police officer and we knew not to touch a gun and if we saw one, we were to tell our parents. I think the harm comes when curiosity gets the better of a child and they think they can play with it. A drill is not the same as a gun, I'm sorry, so that is not a valid comparison. I find it hard to accept that people have such strong opinions about firearms in a country that has banned them. I would rather teach a child the safe way to handle a firearm, than have them get curious. I'm a very strict range instructor. I do not tolerate horseplay on my range.

I don't see why the comparison is invalid at all. A drill can cause severe harm. A gun can cause severe harm. Neither should be accessible at all to a child. The fact that she was able to just go and get the gun disturbs me. The gun could not have been safely and securely locked away.

I don't really like doing the "what if's" because we will never know. But if we can say "What if she hadn't used the gun", then we can say "What if the intruder had found it first and used it against her?".

I understand what you are saying in teaching children to handle firearms safely, and educating them etc - I just prefer the fact that Madeline will more than likely never see or handle one and so will not need that education.

Well, the article doesn't address that issue. Many states have laws stating that a firearm must be in a safe or with an individual lock on it. I don't know what OK's laws are on this particular issue.

Girls mature faster than boys. I've taught younger girls (three, sitting on their dad's lap) how to shoot and they are very patent and listen well. I'm not concerned with a 12 year old having access to a firearm. There are quite a few youth competition shooters in the USA who are more accurate and well versed with firearms than adults.

Everyone and their mothers own guns where I live. Two days ago someone shot a 10 foot tall 1200 lb. brown bear breaking into their house. I'd like to see you 'stab' that bear with reasonable force LOL! We all go hunting for our food here too using guns, have rifle club for kids in school, shooting ranges, and safety courses widely available (especially for kids.)

I added a picture. I am SO GLAD we have guns here to protect ourselves!

Attachments

• 545361_537676689580509_1715218983_n.jpg
    545361_537676689580509_1715218983_n.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
Great she managed to save herself but I'm so glad we don't have guns here, it doesn't exactly work in America does it. There is so much more gun crime there!

Everyone and their mothers own guns where I live. Two days ago someone shot a 10 foot tall 1200 lb. brown bear breaking into their house. I'd like to see you 'stab' that bear with reasonable force LOL! We all go hunting for our food here too using guns, have rifle club for kids in school, shooting ranges, and safety courses widely available (especially for kids.)

Holy crap, if i lived anywhere with the chance a bear like that could stroll in my house i would have a whole cabinet of guns!

i think a gun is just a tool it can be used to harm people but it can also be used to protect and feed people in this country there are very strict laws and most will go their whole lives without even touching a gun. In the states where guns are part of the culture children are taught for a very young age about safety ect unlike the teen "gangsters" over here who get one as a status symbol and shoot each other over stupid "gang wars". I would much rather the american way personally.

Holy crap, if i lived anywhere with the chance a bear like that could stroll in my house i would have a whole cabinet of guns!

i think a gun is just a tool it can be used to harm people but it can also be used to protect and feed people in this country there are very strict laws and most will go their whole lives without even touching a gun. In the states where guns are part of the culture children are taught for a very young age about safety ect unlike the teen "gangsters" over here who get one as a status symbol and shoot each other over stupid "gang wars". I would much rather the american way personally.

Actually that's a very good view, never thought of it like that, but yes I agree.

If anyone came into my house to hurt me or my family I would not hesitate at all to shoot them. Maybe I would not shoot to kill, maybe in the leg or the arm, but I would do whatever I had to , to protect my family. :flower:

Not really related but I looked at that picture and then your avatar and it made me laugh because your LO's face just looks like a perfect reaction :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->