Twenty Week Scan tomorrow. Do I need a full bladder.

darkriver

Reaction score
Hi I have my twenty week scan tomorrow and I am wondering whether I will need a full bladder?

I would go with a full bladder - my letter says to attend with a 'comfortably full bladder'.
If the sonographer doesn't get a good enough view, she'll ask you to pop to the toilet anyway to empty it. :)
Better to go and have to pee than go and then have to drink a ton and wait ages for your bladder to fill.
Good luck seeing your bean :)

Good Morning,

I was told that you do as it helps the tech measure your cervix. Which is very important and required.

When I had my 20 week scan they measured my cervix first let me go the washroom, and then continued with the scan for 30/40 minutes measuring the baby and such.

Thank you. I am hospital led and they havent said but I will drink a litre on the way there. Which means I will be positively bursting. I am also having a fetal echo so will see Bump twice.

With my first I never had a full bladder, I wasnt told. This one I have been, I have my 20 week scan on Wed :)

But trust me...it is well worth it!!!! This scan totally rocked my world!

Hi, just to give you my experience, I was bursting to go to the toilet in the waiting room so asked the receptionist if I needed a full bladder, she said not at 20 weeks. .. only at 12. So I had an empty bladder for the scan and had no problems getting all the measurements she needed

I wasn't told to by the hospital but a friend suggested I tried to hold it until the scan....well I tried but I had to go, I just couldn't wait anymore so I went to the toilet and literally got called in 10 mins later. There were absolutely no problems seeing my LO.

At 20 weeks they are pretty big so you shouldn't have a problem. You don't want to be focusing on not peeing yourself when you should be concentrating on the scan!

I went with full bladders for my 12 and 20 week scan and both times got told to empty it as they could see baby better when my bladder was empty. But to be on the safe side I would go with a full bladder and you can always go for a pee if need be xxx

I would call ahead and ask.

For absolutely none of my scans (for the dating scan with this one, for any of the 5 scans with my son) have I needed a full bladder. They always wanted it absolutely empty. It seems to vary by practice.

I have scans up until 40 weeks and always go with a full bladder! You can always empty if you need too :D Good luck x

I was told to go with a full bladder (which is difficult for me, as I have an over sensitive one), but in the end it didn't matter. At my first 20 week scan attempt, when she couldn't get a good view, she told me to empty my bladder and when she rescanned she could see just as much as she did before (didn't help though!).

I was told to drink 500 ml of water an hour before my scan

My appointment letter said to drink 1 hour before the scan, I can't remember the amount, but smth like 600 ml, so around a pint, of water, squash or juice.

No dont go in with a full bladder. u dont need to plus they put some force on ur bladder lol
midwife said it can hinder the test of u have a full bladder plus its uncomfortable.

I have my 20 week scan Friday and my paperwork says to drink 2 pints of fluid an hour before my scan and arrive with a full bladder. It helps to tilt the uterus up and out of the pelvis. If you don't need quite as full a bladder (everyone is different and each baby sits differently) then the sonographer will ask you to go and empty all or part of your bladder.

I think we can see it's different by practice. It depends on their equipment. 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my son, I had to go with a full bladder.
This time, they told me NOT to come with a full bladder because they have new machines that are so sentitive, a full bladder will actually hinder the scan.

If you need a full bladder, they will tell you. But like a pp said, by 20 weeks, it prob won't be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->