Two heartbeats on doppler?!

GingerPanda

1DD LTTCRPL + NTNP#2
Reaction score
I had a scan last week, on February 18th. I was 7w4d, and they found one baby with a heartbeat measuring 7w1d. But she said not to worry about the measurements because baby was WAAAAAY over on the right side of my uterus. Like, she talked about maybe having to switch from vaginal to abdominal to see if she could get a better picture, but never did. She said baby was definitely in my uterus, but definitely tucked away. I ovulated from my left ovary, she said, but she didn't really spend any time scanning the left side of my uterus.

Anyway, fast forward to today. I ordered a 3mhz Sonoline B doppler, and got it in the mail last night. Today, I decided I'd play around with it and see if I could find baby's heartbeat. First I found my heartbeat, and it was measuring 70bpm.

I fussed around over the right side for a while, and couldn't find it (I know now that I was probing too far up). So I thought "Maybe I remembered it wrong, and it was on the left." I moved the probe to the far left side and found one heartbeat that was measuring at 125-130 bpm. But then I was thinking about it, and I was like, "No, I'm SURE she said it was on the right side!" So staying in line horizontally with the one heartbeat on the left, I sloooowly moved across my abdomen. I didn't hear anything. Finally, I got all the way over to the far right side and found another heartbeat measuring 130-135bpm! They're like... 2.5-3 inches apart, and I can't hear anything between them.

Could I be having twins?

I called the doctor's office, and she told me that it was unlikely I was having twins if the woman didn't catch it on the ultrasound, but that I could ask the doctor about it at my next appointment (March 18th).

It could be possible! Maybe it was hiding. How about your HCG, was it high? That could be another hint

They didn't check my levels this time like they did with my two previous pregnancies (both early losses, first at 8w and second at 6w). But I've been SO SICK with this pregnancy, and never was with the other two. I just assumed it was a good sign that this pregnancy would be okay. But now I'm wondering if my levels are just a lot higher?

My previous losses were from undiagnosed hypothyroidism, so they were otherwise healthy... So I had normal levels with them.

Those ultrasounds are usually pretty detailed, can't imagine missing one......but anything is possible. Keep up updated please and congrats.

The placenta also has a "heartbeat" you could be picking up. Exciting, nonetheless. Keep us posted!

Would the placenta and the baby be that far apart this early?

I'm sure there's an explanation that's not twins. But I really wasn't expecting to find one heartbeat this early, much less possibly two. :haha:

I'll keep you updated, ladies.

It's most likely your placenta there's all sort of noises in there xx

I have a vein that's usually around 120bpm. At least I think it's a vein, maybe the placenta. Congrats on your pregnancy!

I used mine today for the first time and she kept moving plus kept picking up my own heart beat plus placenta too.

You can watch videos on youtube.. You can pick up yours, babies, and placenta beats... Plus the rate can change i watched it go up and up in the videos i was watching

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Who knows it could very well be twins. But I've also read that a HB can echo and be heard in multiple places even though it's one HB. See if you can find them again and measure the rates for both. Of they are exactly the same, I would say an echo or placenta etc as the others have said. Good luck :) ♡

The sound of the placenta is different, from my experience at least. Either way, how exciting!

Have you got a belly already?
I know I have already popped and have what looks like half a basketball down my pants.
I'm about a week ahead by my dating scan so close to your gestation.

I had an early scan and its pretty hard to miss a second baby, at that stage the womb is so tiny they tend to show even just a sac.

I've had 3 scans so far 1 healthy baby in there on my Doppler I find 3 noises 1, my heart beat (which normally if I search around near mine I always find baby next to mine) baby heart beat is around 160bpm then I hear wooooshing sounds all over them if I go either too far to the left and too far over to the right I get another heart beat around 100 - 120 bpm which I think is a main artery (vein) I'm not 100% sure, but the sound is like a washing machine with whooshing as blood is pumping round loads, baby heart beat at first was like a train mixed with a gallop now it's more of a gallop and I find him/her easier as further along, I you tubed loads of videos as it really confused me if I was hearing baby or not, there is a good one on you tube which explains all the different sounds :) good luck hun xx

I also found several different readings with the Doppler but rather than think it was twins I freaked out thinking the baby's heartbeat was all over the place!

I found this video which explains that you can pick up lots of different sounds including your own HB and an artery. The artery I find sometimes is around 110-125bpm which is faster than my own heart, but slower than the baby's.

Anyway, I think the key is to find a beat without a "swooshing" sound. It should sound a bit like a hard thud or a gallop.

This is the video and the part about the different sounds is at about the 5 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cFQfZ754geM

Thanks, ladies. At this point, I'm no longer concerned about twins. I figure I was probably listening to any number of things! :haha:

I'll watch the videos!

Hi GingerPanda! I'm so happy to see you in here. I remember you from a few threads a couple years ago. Interesting that a placenta can have a heart beat. I'm too scared to use a doppler. The midwife couldn't even find a hb at my 8 week appt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->