Type One Diabetes.... Am I just alone???? Not just GD when preg! :(

hawalkden

Reaction score
I'm going to applogise before you start reading this becuase whoever is reading this and you're Type One (Insulin Dependant) this is behalf of you too...
Gestational Diabetes is so over rated. Sorry if this offends people and you report this post.
I have Type One Diabetes and will do for the rest of my life. Yes I give sympathy for Type Two and women who have to inject for a few months and worry their child will have Diabetes to, but all I see through the NHS or adverts is Diabetes Type Two or Gestational Diabetes and I think it’s wrong.
Type One is the killer and I don’t understand why we don’t get any help. Me and my Fiancé want to TTC in February 2011 but I am so scared of trying and then having miscarriage after all the effort of the 3/4months Pre-Pregnancy Care we’d have to go though and the ‘extra’ checks.
Sorry if this thread has hurt anyone but I am so frustrated and I just cant find parents-to-be or anyone that lives with Diabetes to understand and see why I am so upset and feel like life is unfair; and yes I have though about the couples who cant have children at all and have to have IVF and heartbreaks all the time I just feel like them some of the time… TRAPPED!...
Please if there is anyone mums-to-be or dads-to-be I just need to feel I’m not alone
Sorry
Heather (a very frustrated Type One Diabetic)
x

Hi Heather,

I understand where youre coming from, but I have to say Im not really sure what extra help/care youre looking for.

You will get some extra checks and growth scans through a pregnancy with especially extra care towards the end. At the start there isnt so much they can do as sadly miscarriages can happen to anyone regardless of circumstances. If there are several they will of course look into it.

I know 2 women that have diabetes and have a child each. They both had problems with pregnancy but as far as I remember they werent related to the diabetes. One woman is stopping with one child and the other hopes to have another once her insulin pump is in and working well for her.

Let me know if you want to be put in touch with them. They only use a very small TTC/baby forum but are lovely and very helpful.

thank you very much

i feel really selfish and horrid for having a rage! Please if you dont mind and they dont :)

thank you Sarafused

you will have extra scans,have regular appointments with people that need to see you,blood tests,urine tests,anything associated with diabetes will be tested.Nothing will be left unturned when your diabetic and pregnant by the diabetic team your have monitoring you.I am type 1 have to inject 4 times a day and now im doing extra blood glucose tests every other day because of my type 1 condition.But i'm still positive my baby will be fine,I'm not worried as i'm taking care of myself and letting others in!

Hi Heather

I and my husband are also waiting to conceive and I have type 1 diabetes - current hba1c of 8% and working very hard to get this down to below 7 befre even thinking of getting pregannt. I understand that if you follow these guidelines you run vey little risk of compications directly associated with diabetes. The pre-pregancny care i am receiving at teh moment is fantastic with a really dedicated healthcare team doing their best to look after me. I also have the addedd help of being able to upload weekly glucise readings once weekly to he team so they can advise me of any changes that are needed. However despite this, I totally agree with you that type 1 diabetes is very rarely mentioned in amongst the masses of literature on preganany. There is most importantly no mention made of the fact that a diabetic needs to take increased doses of folic acid (prescription only) for at least 3 months before ttc. Best of luck and keep us posted

I am type one Diabetic and have just found out im pregnant. i havent yet been to the doctors but im hoping to get an appointment tomorrow to get seen asap.

to be honest i am terified because of all the horror storys i have always been told but afew people have reassured me that if i take care of myself and test my blood sugars more then baby has a good chance of bein healthy. i have also always thought it very unfair that we have to go through such a hard time to do such a natural thing but all we can do is try our best and hope for a healthy baby!

Well guys I'm 8 weeks preg now and going on the insulin pump on Monday :)! Super nervous! Worried that the pump won't work for me but excited that I'm trying to control my bloods better :)
Wish me luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->