Ty's story so far..

JamieLoi

2nd trimester
Reaction score
I'm 19 years old, and recently (11/06) gave birth to a very premature baby (Tyler) at 27+3 weeks.
The labour was spontaneous and natural, I'd had an antenatal appt. the very same day and they detected no abnormalities. Labour only lasted 5hours but felt like forever, I knew so little about premature births it didn't even occur to me that he would survive.
He was immediately taken to special care weighing 2lb 4oz. I saw him briefly before he was transferred to another hosp, but he was attached to so many machines he didn't even look like a baby.
I was discharged 3hours later and left to make my own way to the hospital to see him.
He remained on ventilation for less than a week, and began weaning him off CPAP when just 10days old. Then he suffered a major bleed in his lungs, the doctors told us he wouldn't make it. But he did. He was on high frequency ventilation for several days after. He was put on BiPhasic CPAP after a week, and remained on it for several.
Now, at 7weeks old he's off CPAP for 20hrs a day, though remains on nasal canulae the rest of the time. He's beaten infection and is taking more feed than I can produce! It is likely he will remain in NICU for another 2months:nope: but hes definately on the right track. They've even started dressing him in his own clothes now.
Its terrifying and exhausting having a baby in hospital, but I reckon the hard part will start when he's home and I haven't got any monitors telling me how well he's doing, or nurses to rely on!
But through everything he's fought and he's made it so far. These babies are stronger than we give them credit for. We just hope he will be home soon :thumbup:
I've read so many amazing stories on here I just wanted to add Ty's to the list :)
x x x

:hi: Molly was 2lb 4oz when she was born too. You are doing so well, it is hard having a baby in NICU. Molly was only in for 7 weeks so a lot shorted than Ty will be. It seemed like forever at the time but looking back it seem slike so long ago. He will be home with you before you know it :hugs:. They look so cute when they first wear clothes dont they?! They are definately little fighters :thumbup:

Hi,
Congratulations on your little baby. Our daughter Charlotte was born 24+5 weighing 1lb 9oz. I won't write too much but I know just how hard those first few months are. We set up a website for our Charlotte www.charlottelow.com if you want to read more.

Charlotte also appears in the BLISS going home booklet which is available in hospitals to help parents. Although the hard work starts when the come home, believe me, the wait will be so worth it. Charlotte was in hospital for 15 weeks so possibly a similar time to what your little man will be in for.

I will always remember a nurse saying to me at my lowest "when your home, and you start your life together, this time in NICU will seem like a distant memory". It is very true so although right now things are harder than you can ever imagine, please keep the faith and look forward to your first Christmas with your little man.
Sam
xx

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I cant even begin to imagine how your feeling but your doing amazing! my lil guy was 33+4 when he was born and weighed 3lb 11 I had severe pre-eclampsia so emergency sectioned no complications with Matthew but those machines etc are scary at first he was in NICU for only 17 days and it felt a lifetime but you do get yourself in a routine and the weeks will pass. As for worrying about what happens when you go home, thats natural we went home on the sun and no one came to see him til the Tue I never slept a wink, nearer the time talk to the staff about your anxieties Ty will be machine free by then and you will not need to worry about that aspect, the NICU staff are great and most units have transition teams who can do home visits.

Take as many pictures as you can you will soon look back at them and it wil feel a lifetime a go. Big hugs for little Ty x

Hey there, I totally understand your journey so far and how your feeling. I've been there too with Archie. He was born at 27+0 weighing 2lb 6oz. He spent 14 weeks in hospital and got home 11 weeks ago. You wont be able to see it yet as your living in the 'hopsital bubble' as we called it, but wait until you get your little one home. He will thrive and grow fast and you will slowly forget your time spent in the hospital. I remember the first time I was able to walk around the ward with Archie without being attached to any monitors, it was bliss.

Let us see some picts of your little one and keep us all posted. You should start a journal in the parenting section of this forum. Archie's and another premmie, Alex is there too. Its good to look back at it as you forget a lot of things.

Dona xxx

Thanks for the messages of support:flower:
Ty's been moved out of intensive care now and is in a cot instead of incubator. The nurses can't believe how fast he's growing he's already passed the 4lb mark! Also trying to bottle feed now, started on breast but he has a tendency to fall asleep if you hold him too close.. but as long as he's feeding I'm not fussed how he gets it.
This forum has been a major help recently reading everyones success stories. I'm v grateful :hugs:

thats such great news cant believe he's in a cot already, he'll be a wee fatty in no time, you will see him come on so so much everyday x

So glad everything is going well, he sounds like such a little fighter :D x x

Aw wow just seen this thread & wanted to say congrats :) I bet you are so very proud !!
Everyday must be such a thrill & also relief he made it another day & that it's another day closer to bringing him home. I'm so happy for you!!

Well done little man xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->