U.S. ladies and homebirth

schmetterling

Reaction score
Hey ladies!

I just got my bfp yesterday and am still in shock! But my hubby and I already decided we wanted to do a home birth this time around so I'm trying to figure out when I need to start interviewing midwives. The midwife I used with my daughter was at a hospital and I love her but she doesn't do home births. So I was thinking I'd call her on Monday and get an appt just to confirm the pregnancy and then ask her for referrals for a home birth midwife then start calling them. Is it too early to start doing interviews? I figure it's not because I need prenatal care but I just don't know exactly how it works. I'd appreciate any input from ladies from the Unites States who have had or are planning a home birth!

Also, to be honest, I'm still freaked out that something bad is going to happen. I'm only 11 dpo today and got my bfp at 10 dpo. I am also still breastfeeding and plan to continue as long as my 20 month old wants to. I took another internet cheapy and frer today and the frer is definitely darker but the IC test isn't at all which has me a bit worried (though the IC's are expired).

I guess it just all seems so weird to me that I'm actually pregnant again and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any advice ladies! :)

I have no US specific advice as I'm not from there but congratulations! I had a homebirth with my 2nd and it was the best decision I made. I don't think it is too early to look at your options and speak to midwives to find the right one.

Those internet cheapy tests were always really light for me, especially that early I don't think they would have even come up with anything for me. I would go with the FR tests, they are pretty reliable.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response! It makes me so happy you had a wonderful home birth! I'm hoping all will go to plan for us and we will be able to have the home birth we want! My daughter came a month early so here's hoping this one stays in much longer! And also thank you for what you said about Internet cheapies. That makes me feel much better! The first response test basically doubled in darkness so I know I shouldn't worry. Thanks again :)

Honestly I called an ob office first and was dissatisfied and disgusted with the answers to my questions so I googled homebirth and the state I lived in. I think I clicked the first link and called them! One of them picked up and was sooooo nice and reassuring and answered all my questions much more satisfactorily and made me feel so at ease. I set up an appointment to meet them at 8 weeks but they had a birth so I had to wait until 13. But the first appt is not charged so I was able to bring my notebook of questions and my hubby and we sat for two hours talking.
I ended up with an amazing beautiful textbook home waterbirth. First baby no tearing and even at 36+1!!!
So. Ya I guess google it lol. I was told by the ob office that homebirth was "illegal in this state. " I didnt think it was. And ya. It's not. Idiot.
I would never birth any other way if I can help it!!!

I would also Google it and talk to people. I had a midwife recommended to me and really liked her. I lost my baby at 14 weeks and I got more support from her than I know I would have gotten from a doctor. She also let me know what to expect and called to check on me throughout the process. The care you get from midwives is exceptional. I hope you find one near your place. Let us know. Also, its never too soon to start looking and talking to midwives. Even if this pregnancy ends in a miscarriage, you will likely still want to do a homebirth with your next one, so get excited about this process and jump all in :) and congratulations!

Thank you for the advice, ladies! I've interviewed 2 midwives so far and have another 2 interviews tomorrow! I'm so excited. We haven't found the right one yet but I think we will tomorrow. I'm 5 weeks 2 days today and the symptoms are creeping in making it feel more real. :) will keep you ladies updated!

Mae- I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm glad to hear your midwife was a great support.

I started interviewing before I was pregnant. They can take care of most of your pre-natal care. They make referrals for ultrasounds and various other tests, but can draw blood for you and do the routine care and monitoring. You can switch over whenever you want to. It's certainly not too early!

Well, we found a midwife! It's been a bit of a roller coaster. My progesterone was testing on the lower end of normal and then we retested about a week and a half later and it had decreased (still within normal range -- just barely!). So we've been trying desperately to get a doc to supplement and just got a prescription for progesterone! Feeling really good about this, though I hate to have to be supplemented for something my body should make plenty of (and who knows maybe things would have been fine without supplementation but I'm not willing to take that risk). Anyway I'm optimistic that things will work out now. And very glad we have a home birth midwife! Now to explain to the family our reasons for having a home birth...ugh. This should be interesting!

Yay!!! Congrats! Stick your ground with family and present them with the facts. That's what helped me with my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubysan
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->