ugghh please help; mouse infestation

kimmym

Reaction score
We live right smack in the middle of a dairy field and although we havent had trouble with mice in the past with all the rain weve been getting theyve all made their way into our house. We have traps all over and im planning to get one of those electric things that emitt sound (even though ive heard a lot of mixed reviews).
Im so scared of my daughter getting sick.its so frustrating because i keep the house clean,pick crumbs up,etc.but theyre still eveywhere.i dont know what i should be doing or if i should even keep my daughter here until ive gotten rid of them all.its been a while since ive been on here but please please any advice:(

We had field mice in our kitchen and pantry last year. We live on a farm so we get loads in the fields that our cat likes to snack on. I just used those spring type traps but only ever killed 2 or 3. I tried humane traps too but I think they were finding their way back in after I released them. Can you see where they're getting in? It might be worth calling an exterminator. They can get through the tiniest gap. They seemed to like chewing our dishwasher tablets, carrier bags and dishcloths. Oh, and chewed through a pipe in the dishwasher so all the electric went off. Naughty things. Once those 2 or 3 had been killed we haven't seen anymore in the house *touch wood*

We caught 5 yesturday in spring traps none today but ive seen several.our housenis an old farm house and because of all the tiny tiny gaps im fairly sure its impossible to mouse proof.such destructive little things :/ i hope you continue to be mouse-free!

Maybe a cat would help....gross, but some cats are excellent at mouse reduction (some are not though).

This house was empty for over a year when we bought it. There were traps in the basement. My sister left a doughnut in the kitchen when we were here cleaning (pre move in) we saw mouse poop the next day, just once. When my dogs and cat moved here a week later we never saw signs of a mouse again. I don't know if they got the one that was in the kitchen, or just scared it away. I have never seen a thing in the basement since we have lived here either. I made OH throw the traps out. We have a feildstone foundation, so it would be easy for them to infiltrate (134 year old house). I am just very glad they're gone.

If a cat is an option I would go for it.

We tried everything. The sound plugs don't have an effect on mice, and snap traps and glue traps and really the best options. Once you start getting them all they stop breeding. My neighbour has them just now so im on watch. Poison is an option but they could hide and rot-not nice! Glue traps are horrid, because they don't kill , but have best results

Hope you get to the bottom of it as it's horrid but more common that u think

The mice in London and Manchester are too smart for glue and snap traps, they also avoid traditional grain baits. I found this clear type of bait station with a blue poison laced playdoh looking substance inside, worked best. Rentokil make them as do several other generic brands and they are child proof but small 'crumbs' of the playdoh substance can end up being taken outside by the mice so if you get them and have kids about make sure you check the bait stations every day for that. As I'm vegan now I would probably look for alternative ways but mice really creep me out and in the US they can carry a virus that is deadly to humans, the ones here don't xx

Fill any holes where you know they are getting in with crushed glass and expanding foam. Rentokil told me to do this - it's not particularly humane as it sticks their mouths shut, however they are vermin and spread disease which I'm sure none of us would want in our homes and near our children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->