Ugh SO frustrated!

Anaconda

Reaction score
So I'm currently 8 weeks and some odd days pregnant. Generally people don't tell many people until around 12 weeks. Correct?

Unfortunately I'm finding myself having to tell more people than I want.

In the month of March (when I found out I was just pregnant) my family and I had to move, which resulted in me having to leave my job.

So here I am in a new city looking for work... finding work isn't what's frustrating this mama.

Every time someone calls wanting to interview me right before they schedule they ask how long I'd be working for. I feel like I have to be honest with these people so I tell them until November (baby's due date).

After that no one wants to interview me anymore! And it's like, seriously? I do have 1 interview this Saturday and they don't know I'm pregnant yet, but its making me so nervous.

I'm just so frustrated! Should I just stop telling people I'm pregnant? I don't want people getting mad at me if I don't, you know?

Ugh!

They shouldn't discriminate against you. Isn't that illegal there? You could always keep mum and tell them after.

This is a very tough situation but I agree they shouldn't be so easy to discriminate. If you really need the job, I would just say as long as you need me or something along those lines. That isn't necessarily lying about it. I gope you find a job soon dear.

Don't tell them. They have no right or need to know, but you need work! They will find out soon enough and you have no legal obligation to offer that information.

In fact, asking questions about your family status in an interview is illegal in Canada! Good luck!

It is illegal to not employ you due to pregnancy but unfortuantely if you tell potential employers they will just give some other reason, there were more qualified applicants blah blah blah... I would not tell them until after you have got a job.

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to keep it hush hush at this interview. And although yes it is illegal to discriminate they can always say, like Leesy said, there were more qualified applicants blah blah blah, lol.

If I do get this job (fingers crossed) I think I'm going to wait until 12-14 weeks to say anything at all. I just felt like I was doing the right thing by telling them beforehand that I could only work until November.

Keeping my mouth shut from here on until I find a job, haha!

Let us know how you go. What's the maternity leave laws over there?

definitely don't tell them if that's the case. you're ~8 weeks along. some people don't even know they're pregnant yet (if they have irregular cycles). And plus, like other ladies said, they have no right to know this information.

good luck!!

They shouldn't discriminate against you. Isn't that illegal there? You could always keep mum and tell them after.

I agree, this is discrimination and if they don't hire you because of your pregnancy it's illegal and you have grounds to take them to court.

It's up to you. But, I would keep it on the d-low until the 2nd interview.

Today's the day for the interview! Won't be saying anything to them... fingers crossed!

i think its great your being honest an telling them your prego. They should respedt tht. An yes its illegal to discrimanate as we are still classed fit to work under jobseekers, i had this probs when 24+ weekd preg when my seasonal job stopped i had look until so many weeks before due 15 or 11 i only had from the 31st sept til oct/nov but i had too look like looking for work. Am like whod want preg woman. could you not look for temp/short term work none perminante lickly take you on as they no its not long term? people like works who are reliable ie will work, available etc. Pregnancy can restrict this as you have apoint etc an thed have do risk assecments an make safe for you an bubs. alll the best your early yet so hopfully find something

Good luck in your interview. I agree with the girls, definitely don't tell them yet it's none of their business yet, I'm sure you'll be just as capable at your job even if you are pregnant.

Hi ladies! Had my interview this morning... didn't tell them anything, and then like 5 minutes ago they called me back and now I'm hired!

I'm kind of nervous because I feel bad I didn't tell them, but at the same time I know if I did they wouldn't have hired me. I'm in a position where I need the money as I have absolutely no income and I need to be out of my mom's house within two months. So from my end I feel like I should feel bad but at the same time when I do tell them I feel bad on their end.

I fully intend to work until mid to end of November, which is still like 6 and 1/2 months, which I think is a good amount of time. My mom said when I tell them and if they want to fire me then, is when I should worry about it. For now I have to do what I have to do to support my family.

When do you ladies think I should tell them? I'm currently 9 weeks and was thinking of telling them after I have my 12 week scan... I don't know what to do now! I'm happy and so nervous about having to tell them eventually!

I'd relax for now and just enjoy your new job, don't worry about telling them just yet, like you say you have to do what's right to earn money for your family :hugs:

Congratulations too!! :happydance:

Thanks!

I'm trying to relax but knowing that I will eventually have to tell them makes me nervous. I know I'm not the first person to do this... but still, lol.

Congrats! Def don't tell then untill after your 12 week scan. Here in Aus you have up till 10 weeks before you are due to legally have to tell your employer (although I'm sure they'd figure it out sooner lol).

Congratulations on your job! Good for you. If I were in your position I would not tell them that soon. You are under probation for 3 months (or more depending on your employer) and they have a right to fire you without cause (and barely notice). Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't tell them until you can't hide it anymore.

Gah, you are in a tough situation. I'd wait until 16 weeks minimum I think. And do it in writing when you do.

So glad to hear you got the job! Tell them when you're ready, probably at 12 weeks or after and for now enjoy that you're working and getting money for your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->